can I find a wild tarantula?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Where I live, O'fallon IL, are there any nearby places that would have a wild tarantula. I've never once seen, or heard of, a tarantula around here. But maybe because I've never looked. So I went hiking for about 6hours yesterday in this whole forested area bordering MO but didnt spot any Ts :/ so sadly I think we might not.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
:'( I tried googling it, but honestly the spider info is so lacking anyway lol. Sad, where would be the nearest state that does have one? Surely they exist in the US?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
:'( I tried googling it, but honestly the spider info is so lacking anyway lol. Sad, where would be the nearest state that does have one? Surely they exist in the US?
Try the hotter states in the South. Nevada, California, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas etc.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Nope, can't find any there. You can head to the Ozarks in Missouri and find some Aphonopelma there, that would be the closest area that has wild T's.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm headed to the Ozark's in a few weeks to go on a hiking trip, I can update if I run into any there (although not sure if it'll be too cold for them and don't want to disturb them if they're deep in their burrows).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You live in Illinois? There´s no tarantulas in the wild there.
Strange, because in Illinois neighbouring states (such Wisconsin, and Michigan -- Upper 'Yoopers' Peninsula in particular) is full: including a pure 'Snow white' Theraphosidae :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The closest thing to a tarantula you're likely to find in Illinois (and by "close" I just mean a fellow mygalomorph) are the purseweb spiders such as Sphodros rufipes (the red-legged purseweb spider) and Sphodros niger (the black purseweb spider). Both are quite small - and tend to stay tucked away in their web tubes, making them difficult to find.

If you want a large native spider, Illinois does have a nice assortment of Wolf Spiders and Fishing Spiders - both of which also make good pets, even if they aren't quite as impressive as a tarantula.

For actual tarantulas, the closest ones you are likely to find are in Missouri or Arkansas. If you want to look for wild tarantulas, the best time is on a warm night in summer or fall. They will rarely be seen out-and-about in the daytime, but at night can be found out prowling around - or at least hanging out in or near the entrances to their burrows, waiting to snatch a passing meal. In the fall you will also frequently find mature males roaming around in search of a hot lady tarantula - but if you are looking to collect a new pet, they are not good candidates. They have an expiration date, and the clock is already ticking, so they are best left where they are so they can fulfill their reproductive potential before dying.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Strange, because in Illinois neighbouring states (such Wisconsin, and Michigan -- Upper 'Yoopers' Peninsula in particular) is full: including a pure 'Snow white' Theraphosidae :)
Ah, you are talking about the rare and elusive Arachnoyeti! Its thick, white, furry coat is uniquely suited to the colder climate - but blends in almost perfectly with the snow drifts in winter, making it very difficult to spot. They hibernate during the warm summer months, hiding away at the bottom of deep, cool burrows to escape the harsh sun.

https://images1.sw-cdn.net/product/picture/674x501_10319936_6674534_1459341270.jpg

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Nope, can't find any there. You can head to the Ozarks in Missouri and find some Aphonopelma there, that would be the closest area that has wild T's.
Oh really? I have to go hunting.. I want to see a wild T

This paper has a map included with the distribution of aphonopelma species in the US. According to it, you can find Aphonopelma hentzi in Missouri. Nothing east of the mississippi.
This'll help a bunch, thanks. I shall find a wild T :mad:

https://zookeys.pensoft.net/article/6264/
Or humans:shifty:
True, it's kinda screwed up tbh I cant wait to move.

theDHill

Arachnopeon
Has anyone ever heard of iNaturalist.org ? I ALWAYS check out this site before any big road trips. You can find info on almost anything alive and it's a great resource for studying things in the field and sharing your findings. Also, like everyone else says, there are definetly some hentzi down south of you in Missouri... here's a link to one spotted on May 18th 2018 https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/13036869

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Has anyone ever heard of iNaturalist.org ? I ALWAYS check out this site before any big road trips. You can find info on almost anything alive and it's a great resource for studying things in the field and sharing your findings. Also, like everyone else says, there are definetly some hentzi down south of you in Missouri... here's a link to one spotted on May 18th 2018 https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/13036869
I am a member of iNaturalist, and I can tell you there is a lot of information that could help you. For example, on the taxa info pages, there are graphs showing seasonality for different taxa, and maps showing where different taxa have been seen. Technically, I don't think iNaturalist is meant to help people find pets, but as long as you aren't catching a rare animal (tarantulas are common in the southwestern US) or large numbers of animals, it shouldn't harm the ecosystem.

theDHill

Arachnopeon
I like iNaturalist to look for invasive stuff on Florida trips (ex: Tokay geckos, Veiled chameleons, pythons, etc.)

Major 78

Arachnosquire
Odd, I live in upstate NY and found a 2-3 inch tarantula. I think it was a tarantula and not a "True Spider" because it was quite large and very hairy. Found it under a rock.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Odd, I live in upstate NY and found a 2-3 inch tarantula. I think it was a tarantula and not a "True Spider" because it was quite large and very hairy. Found it under a rock.
I very highly doubt what you found was a tarantula, next to impossible unless it was released, but with the temps dropping like they are, it's almost certainly a true spider or a mygalomorph, which also can be hairy and large.

Last edited: