can i feed my sling maggots from a rotting orange

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Have used fruitflies as a source for feeding dwarf and smaller specie slings for as long as I can remember. Have yet to see any issue with growth, health, or even lack of anything as a result from doing so. I am not talking about just a handful of years following this regimen nor a small amount of spiderlings the use of this prey item for the initial feedings has in no way had negative effects on the tarantulas receiving them. I will continue using them and suggest using them since the results speak for themselves. Healthy spiderlings growing and molting ready to accept the next size up prey items without issue.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
No...they get them from the same sources as pet stores.
Have you fed the whole selection of earthworms? Around here I can find "nightcrawlers", "red wigglers", "trout worms" and "green worms". Opinions?

cold blood

Staff member
Have you fed the whole selection of earthworms? Around here I can find "nightcrawlers", "red wigglers", "trout worms" and "green worms". Opinions?
They should all work, although the green ones make me a little uneasy...lol. I don't feed worms often, but I have fed all sizes and never had an issue. The big night crawlers I break apart and feed halves (generally to pokies). Its impressive just how formidable a whole crawler can be.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Summer 2017 I picked up some nhandu chromatus slings at an expo for real cheap. They were teensy and being fed fruit flies. I switched them over to pieces of meal worms and crickets. I went to the same expo in May 2018 and the same vender had nhandu chromatus slings again that were basically the same size as the ones I picked up last summer. I asked him if he had another sac... he said they were the same slings from the sac I got mine from. His hadn't grown and mine are pushing 2 inches easy. I mentioned to him how big mine were and he said it was because he was still feeding his on fruit flies.