can anyone give me info on these species

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was looking to purchase a couple more scoprions but wanted more info on any before i buy them. (size, substrate, enclosure size, venom, etc)

Black Spitting Fattail (Parabuthus transvaalicus)
Ethiopian Tri-Color (Pandinus colei)
Flat Rock (Hadogenes troglodytes)
Arizona Bark (Centruroides exilicauda)

thanks in advance.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know much about scorpions, but from what I've read here I think Parabuthus transvaalicus is a real baddy!!

For caresheets on the other species you should try checking out www.petbugs.com , they have some very interesting caresheets about quite a lot of scorps.

Hope this has been of any help to you, if now, I'm sure one of the experts here can help you get an answer to your questions.

Dennis

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As far as the word "profession" goes, I am not. I am here trying to learn, just as I suppose everyone else is doing here.

P. transvaalicus, I currently keep and have been keeping for over five years, so I can definitely give you insight of them. They are aggressive, though most of their time is spent working of the burrow and hiding inside of it. Obviously noted to be a "spitting" scorpion, so as stated by almost all who have kept this species, always wear safety glasses with thjis species. I do NOT recommend this scorpion for an inexperienced hobbyist!!!

P. colei, I currently keep a group of ten and have only kept them for a couple weeks now. So far, they seem very similar to P. cavimanus, though mine seem slightly more aggressive. They are very attractive scorps and quite easy to keep, as long as you can keep a good humidity level for them. I would recommend you speak with someone who has been keeping them for longer and has more insight into them than I.

H. troglodytes, I currently keep and have been keeping for about six years. I do recommend them as they are medium leveled with humidity (easy to maintain) and not highly aggressive scorps. They tend to use their sting very lightly because most items can not be penetrated with their very small stinger. This does not include your finger (they can penetrate skin, though they are hesitant).

C. exilicauda, I also currently keep. Skinheaddave can give you more insight about this species than I because he keeps a much larger number than I do, in a communual setting. They are desert scorpions (easiest to keep if your home interior humidity level stays low). Semi aggressive rating from me (though very quick to attack something small). I believe these to be a very good scorp to keep, though their sting is a little more potent than most scorps that I would recommend to be a pet. I do not recommend this scorp if you are the type that must touch their pets!!! They are extremely fast, just as all other Centruroides scorps I have delt with!!!

adios,
edw.

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I, like XOskeletonRED, wouldn’t call myself a "professional", but I do consider myself highly experienced.

My first though or question regarding you enquiery regarding the scorpions you mentioned is:

What is your current level of experience with scorpions?
What is the "hottest" scorpion you have owned to date?

Although I very much enjoy seeing others get excited in adding new scorp's to their collections, I also wish to see that it is done carefully as there are many out there that have the ability to cause great harm and even death.

With that said, here are my thoughts on the species you mentioned:

Parabuthus transvaalicus
This is s NO play-time scorpion!

The Black Spitting Fattail is most definitely a scorpion for the experienced keeper. They are indeed aggressive little scorp's that pack a wollop if you get too close to the business end of this little beauty. It also has the ability to "spray" venom up to 3 feet (1 meter). Eyewear is essential when working around this scorpion.

Mine have always spent a good deal of time either in its burrow, or excavating it. They prefer arid living conditions, and other than breeding, should be kept solitary.

They are mostly black or dark brown (there are lighter brown ones, although I personally have never owned one this color), and can reach a length of around 4".

Hadogenes troglodytes
This is one of the safer scorpions for the keeper.

It prefers dry climates, with a substrate of sand & crushed granite. As its name refers, the Flat rock scorpion will do best if flat rocks are provided in its cage to allow it to squeeze in to. Mine have always seemed to prefer extremely tight fitting quarters.

They are quick, and do not live well together. I have heard of others who have housed them together, but this seems to be an exception, not the rule. I have tried, and every time the result has been a BIG feast for the larger scorpion.

Pandinus colei
Never owned one, I would assume that its temperament and care is close to that of P. imperator Maybe someone else here has housed this one to give you more insight.

Centruroides exilicauda
Take care with this one.

This little beauty is one of my all-time favorites. Almost always on display on top of his bark, this is a great scorpion for those who wish to actually see their scorpion during daylight hours. All those that I have kept appear to be quite aggressive, and are quick to sting if given the chance. I have had some of mine actually attack my tweezers as I change its water and clean its cage. Kinda cool, but a good reason to use the proper tools…not so cool if you let it get a finger or the back of your hand.

I prefer to use a substrate of sand and crushed coconut husk mixed 50-50, and kept lightly moistened from underneath by placing a layer of aquarium rock on the bottom of the tank, with my substrate on top of that. I inject water via a very large (and long) syringe once a week. I have several pieces of cork bark in the tank as furnishings. Unless spooked, they will usually sit atop the bark.

Centruroides exilicauda will readily sting…caution should be taken as it can pack a wallop.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow, thanks a lot.

i only currently keep one scorpion, a b. jacksoni but i like it a lot, so thats why i wanna get a couple more of different species to see how i like them.

i knew that Parabuthus transvaalicus was for more experienced keepers, i just wanted to get some info on them becuase i definatly want to purchase one when i have more experience in keeping them.

i think im going to order a Hadogenes troglodytes and Centruroides exilicauda in a few days from invertepet.com

thanks again guys.