Can A Ts Set Up Be To Big

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I’ve just been reading on a Facebook page about a setup for a T can never be to big for it . What do you guys think ? Is it agood thing ? Or if it’s to big well there be any problem for the T ? I know what I think just to see what you all think ?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Short answer, no. These are wild animals.

Waste of space. Prey interactions is also something to consider. I hear they're more reclusive in large set ups too. Very poor idea in captivity.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Short answer, no. These are wild animals.

Waste of space. Prey interactions is also something to consider. I hear they're more reclusive in large set ups too. Very poor idea in captivity.
I thought that as well .

sasker

Arachnoprince
Well, nature is quite a big setup and tarantulas have been living for ages in it. In theory, one could sacrifice an entire room for just one spider with plants and a meter of substrate and what not. It will just not be very convenient to check up on the health of your spider if it can be anywhere. So, yes, a terrarium could be too big for a tarantula. My terrariums are rather small, but I plan to build a large display terrarium for my Pampho. I was thinking about 10 gallons would do.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Spiders maintain their own little territories. A smaller enclosure means that the entire enclosure essentially becomes its territory, and you are more likely to see the spider out and about. When you use a larger enclosure, the spider is likely to find a territory somewhere within it, which results in more reclusive behavior.

Larger enclosures, if provided with a good amount of deco, are not a problem for the T. But it becomes a problem for the keeper when it comes time to find and/or feed it. They simply won’t use the extra space.

Juniorispissed

Arachnopeon
From my limited experience I've always gone by the "legspan" rule. But when I snagged my LP at already 6+" dls and in a VERY large enclosure I just ran with it. I've definitely renovated what I was given as not enough sub it was really plain. Not sure of the volume, but it's roughly 18"h x 18"d by 30"l. She was my third T, and is still my biggest. I just built the rest of my shelving and things around her enclosure. She likes to shove things around and put them where she wants, but she definitely uses all the space. Got a few usual hangs, but I never know where I'll find her.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Container size has no bearing on T health, with 2 exceptions

1. Large containers reduce prey/predator interactions- you can drop a T into a 500 sq meter flat, with a jungle setup- but you would have to provide oodles of insects etc to make sure it ate.
2. Large containers typically reduce the ability of owner to check up on animal's health

cold blood

Staff member
While less of an issue for adults and even most juvies...enclosure size does effect the way a terrestrial sling survives. An oversize enclosure will cause a more natural response, which would be a lot more burrowing and hiding...like excessively. This means a lot slower growth, which will keep a sling in the "fragile" zone a lot longer.....the faster you get them out of the sling stage, the higher survival rates you will likely get.

I experimented with a few hundred terrestrial slings...the end result was that all the slings in over-size enclosures grew at a pace of about 1/4 that of slings kept in smaller condiment cups.

Slings in the small condiment cups seem to basically adopt the cup as their burrow, as a result, they sit in the open a lot more (making them easier to monitor) and eat much much more consistently...which directly leads to this faster growth rate.

When I ended my experiment, I was floored at just how small all of the slings in over-size enclosures were....like they were still small slings, no colors and all an inch or less....their sac mates were all juvies sporting full adult colors....the small ones were smaller than the prey I was feeding the larger ones.

So will a larger enclosure kill them...certainly not...but it will effect how long they stay slings. But keep in mind that in the wild, they will be much more reclusive, like those in over-size enclosures are.....but they also have exceedingly low survival rates, too. I mean, a 1" sling is food for a lot more things than a 2.5" juvie...things preying on a 3/4" sling are being eaten by a 2" juvie. Advantage....clearly the ones growing faster.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Biggest tank I have is a 20 gal long for lp and I ran out of space & money for more of these tanks. Lexan plexiglass lid cost a lot too , with a lock . This lp has tried to escape but stoppes trying.
It webbed practically the whole substrate area , seems to catch dubia easily. Any bigger seems like way to much and a 10 gal might do fine. Bigger tanks seem to be worse for juvenile and slings .

I’ve seen people on YouTube use a 50 gal or bigger for a Lp, Goliath . Seems like overkill to me , a big lizard could live in a 50 gal.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
@Fincloser why the dislike?
He was jealous haha , I think it depends on the species larger growing ones like lp & pokies I’ve had so better in bigger tanks. Tho never use anything way oversized that’s just dumb . Many more species I haven’t owned , might not be same result.

I’ll eventually keep a majority of old worlds because the hairs, but that could be a long time from now.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I would say that a too tall of a cage (for terrestrials and burrowers) can be dangerous if they decide to climb. They can get startled and fall (I've seen it happen).

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I find that 10 gallons is pretty good except for the largest Ts for display. I don’t have a large collection though, 1 mature female A chalcodes, sub adult A seemanni + A avicularia and a B hamorii sling. I also have an S mesaensis Scorpion. If I had a larger collection I’d probably use plastic tubs.

Just waiting on one of my college age children (21 and 18) to fly the nest so I can turn one of their rooms into a Tarantula room. Then I’ll be adding to my collection. I have such awesome plans for their rooms. Like turning one into a Brazilian rainforest room. Hehe

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I find that 10 gallons is pretty good except for the largest Ts for display. I don’t have a large collection though, 1 mature female A chalcodes, sub adult A seemanni + A avicularia and a B hamorii sling. I also have an S mesaensis Scorpion. If I had a larger collection I’d probably use plastic tubs.

Just waiting on one of my college age children (21 and 18) to fly the nest so I can turn one of their rooms into a Tarantula room. Then I’ll be adding to my collection. I have such awesome plans for their rooms. Like turning one into a Brazilian rainforest room. Hehe
Yeah my 24 yr old is still at home , I’d have so much more space for my Ts etc if my son left home lol.

Bumba

Arachnopeon
Depends on the species. Some like to wander and roam, others don't. My 8" L parahybana sits in one spot on a log ALL the time. My much smaller C cyaneopubescens never stops. I'm sure it also has to do with how mature the T is too. Younger and smaller ones are more active.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Tbh I think my G. Porteri could live in a catchcup. She just doesn't move other than to turn to face a new direction.