Can A Tarantula Stay Alive Without Fangs?

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh okay thanks , hey Finnish dude I forgot your name sorry what do you mean by cricket milk shake? How do I do that and feed it to my tarantula?
Thanks

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The milk shake thing was a joke. Anyway, just smash up crickets and worms and it's probably also good idea to add some water to the mix. It might take a while to work but it will in the end, if you do it the right way. I'm not sure if it' s a good idea to have a clean waterdish there with the liquid food or not. I'll try to ask.

Last edited:

runnergirl

Arachnopeon
tarantula survive without its fangs because the shop keeper cut its fangs off
Given that I'm interested (but far from talented) in microsurgery, what I am dying to know is HOW this was accomplished.

I'm still in disbelief that someone purposefully removed them. I'm picturing anesthesia (to allow for relaxation, and thus prevent removing the chelicera), some type of magnification for visualization, and still.......

I could believe he met an accident (such as a bad molt) and is missing them, but, otherwise,

this shopkeeper's in the wrong profession!

Sherry

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Given that I'm interested (but far from talented) in microsurgery, what I am dying to know is HOW this was accomplished.

I'm still in disbelief that someone purposefully removed them. I'm picturing anesthesia (to allow for relaxation, and thus prevent removing the chelicera), some type of magnification for visualization, and still.......

I could believe he met an accident (such as a bad molt) and is missing them, but, otherwise,

this shopkeeper's in the wrong profession!

Sherry
Any set of nail clippers can do it well I'm sure. Anybody that does that does not care if they hurt the "T". I'm sure they just "pin" it and snip by prying the fangs out. If they make the "T" mad enough he/she will show the fangs

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it was not a bad molt
i saw them cut it off..
they held the T with tweezers and then used a VERY sharp pair of scissors to cut them off..
but good news is that the tarantula is doing fine but im still trying to get him to eat...i mushed up 3 crix and put it on a small plate with some water and looks pretty good as T food so im just seeing if he/she will eat it
i will keep trying untill someone tells me another way
thanks

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an L. Parahybana that lasted from probably late November of last year to April of this year with no fangs.

It can be done.

Mashing up crickets does work (at least it did for me). Just make sure to remove all the hard parts... legs, wings, eggs, ect...

Keep the cage super dry except for a water dish so you don't get mites. If it doesn't find the mashed up crickets and eat them on its own, someone else on this site said she had fed a T. Blondi with a syringe. Luckily mine figured it out on its own. Tarantulas can go ridiculously long without eating too... so don't stress out if it doesn't get it right away. As long as its young enough that it will molt again soon you'll be fine.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it was not a bad molt
i saw them cut it off..
they held the T with tweezers and then used a VERY sharp pair of scissors to cut them off..
but good news is that the tarantula is doing fine but im still trying to get him to eat...i mushed up 3 crix and put it on a small plate with some water and looks pretty good as T food so im just seeing if he/she will eat it
i will keep trying untill someone tells me another way
thanks
You sir, are a much more tolerant person than myself. If I saw someone attempting this, they would need a skilled proctologist to get their tweezers and scissors back! :mad:
Good luck with the feeding...Keeping my fingers crossed for ya mate. :)

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks guys :)
how should i feed it with a syringe?
what signs would there be for a molt? thanks!
oh and its been really wet in there so its drying up and i wont mist anymore..
the waterdish is a bottle cap and hardly dries out which is good so ill keep it at that and change the mashed up crix everyday.

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey sorry i forgot to ask but dont the T's need humidity to molt faster?
or is that only for scorps?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My advice would be mushing up cricket juice and putting it on the mouth of the T.

If the T doesn't eat...it looks decently fat enough that you might want to just let it burrow away into some dirt...leave it alone and hope for the best.

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
erm its not burrowing because it only has 1 inch of soil {D
well ill get some more soil but i dont want to destroy its web thing...
heres a pic of the enclosure...

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just tried to feed my T and it flipped out and fell in its back in a striking pose
is this normal or okay? oh wait its back up lol

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
labium..

listen guy.. you can try mashing up crix,
making a pulp, and apply the mixture to the T's mouth...
I am guessing it may get 'sucked' in from there
with pedipalp motions and/or the chelicerae...
(I may be wrong).... that's what I'd do..

kc7wdg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After having reviewed this thread and picture more thoroughly I wish to retract my statements and will cease posting here.

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how would i apply it there? its liquid? :?
what do you mean by pulp?

Orgullo Lacno

Arachnopeon
I have newly bought this golden knee chaco from pet-shop but the the other side of its fang was cut. Can it still survive?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have newly bought this golden knee chaco from pet-shop but the the other side of its fang was cut. Can it still survive?
It's best to start a new thread rather than reply to one from nine years ago. :cool:

Tarantula fangs regenerate when they molt, so a missing or broken fang can be replaced. (The same is true of missing or damaged limbs.)

If it still has one good fang, it should be able to feed without extra help from you. (Remember to crush the heads of mealworms if you use them as prey.) If both fangs are broken, you may need to make a "bug soup" to get it through its next molt.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also, to reduce the risk of broken fangs in the future, do not feed it immediately after molting. The new fangs are soft and white when the tarantula first molts and take time to harden. When the fangs turn black, they are fully hardened, and it is safe to feed.

This process takes longer in large adults, possibly weeks. In slings, it may just be a few days.