Can A Tarantula Stay Alive Without Fangs?

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey guys im from the fat frogs forums but i found this website and i wondered if my newly bought tarantula survive without its fangs because the shop keeper cut its fangs off i dont know why..
if not ill just feed it off
thanks issac

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in my opinion no he will not end up surviving i have had a few ts molt without fangs(mostly t. blonde) and they only survive 3-6 months like that because they can only drink. i even tried mushing up crickets for them but it was a drawn out futile attempt to save them each time

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Someone should cut that shop owner's teeth and tongue. :mad: :evil:

It probably won't survive, because if it has no fangs, it can't inject the enzimes into the food item that are necessary for the digestion of the food.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how fat is she? if she big enough, you could get lucky and have her last long enough to molt and regrow her fangs.

imagine being sold a frog with no bottom jaw.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The tarantula expert here in Austin, Texas, David, told me that he hand fed a Psalmopoeus Cambridgei until it got it fangs back and it bite him because the fangs had harden. He told me it took a lot of work to care for it while it had no fangs.

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey guys im from the fat frogs forums but i found this website and i wondered if my newly bought tarantula survive without its fangs because the shop keeper cut its fangs off i dont know why..
if not ill just feed it off
thanks issac
Some petshops will do that cause they are stupid they do it so you dont have to worry about it biting you they use it as a selling point but ultimately they are killing them you cay try to tong feed it i have heard of them survivng to the next molt but you will have to tong feed it dead crickets or roaches if you want you can try power feeding it to speed up the molt but i dont like powerfeeding so i have never tried it also if you keep it at a higher temp it will also help but its your call if you wanna try it ofr not personally if you are gonna feed it off i would at least give it a shot

runnergirl

Arachnopeon
Are you sure the shopkeeper did or did he just lie to you? I ask because it's a possibility. You might take a good close-up photo and post it here. Curious minds want to know!

Good luck with your T.

Sherry

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there is a very slim chance you could pull off a save in the best case i would hope the t. was 2" or less and that it had been over fed last time it ate. the smaller your t. depending on sp. the quickr it will molt and the better your chances are of regrowth that is just my opinion

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know.........I can't imagine anyone intentionally cutting the fangs off of a T. I think it's more likely he said that rather than admit to selling an animal in less than perfect condition. If he really did what he said he did, then he should be beaten, jailed, and then shot. That has got to be horribly against the law.

Necrobyheart

Arachnopeon
If a T in fact does not have their fangs, won't they still have the venom, without anything to inject it, therefore when your feeding it off, it will cause bad effects?

coming here, talking about the pet shop owner, defanging it is alright, but to talk about feeding them off, just does not sound good to bring up here, in my opinion.

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BTW what type of T is it? can you snap a few pics of it you dont have to worry sbout getting bit so it should be an easy task

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The digestive enzymes come from the mouth, not the fangs. The fangs just inject venom. As far as feeding it off, T's are venomous, not poisonous, so injesting the venom should not be harmful.

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im a lucky man then its only 3inches around
ill post a pic but how do i do that? do i copy paste or do i photobucket it?
shopkeeper said it was from thailand

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it would be cruel in the states but not in HONG KONG thus i live there

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
people here dont see animals as something to treat well
here in China we eat ANYTHING i mean anything man you should read some news of the past theere are some people in china killing dogs that are big to eat for supper.
so how do i post the pic?
do i measure the tarantula from its body to legs or only the body?

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should just be able to go to thread tools and insert a photo from your desktop. That's what I do. Measure the T's legspan front to back, not body length.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a young smithi that molted without fangs, and what I did was giving it soft worms and cut them open so it could suck the fluid out of it. It did and molted again, with fangs this time!!!