Can a spider get depressed?

Mamata Polle

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I've been watching/keeping Southern House Spider's for a long time and have never seen anything like this. Several weeks ago I was moving some potted plants out of the garage and was wearing gloves because we have alot of brown widows there, thus I didn't feel the web of the Kukulcania Hibernalis who was under the lip of one of the pots. She is physically fine but in picking up the pot I accidentally squashed her eggsack, (Really guilty :cry:) Seeing what I had done I brought her in and tried to get her to build a new web in a cardboard tube, (Most of them love these and will build over night.) A week later, nothing, just sits there. So I tried putting her in a critter keeper with a peice of cloth, (Odd I know, but it's another thing that they seem to appreciate, most really don't like natural materials.) Again, shoves herself in a corner and does nothing. I found her a male in the hopes that she could make another eggsack, he lives with her now and in the past I've seen this species respond well to having a member of the opposite sex around. (No, this species does not seem prone to cannabalism.) He pays attention to her, but not the other way around, she just sits in her corner. I had to have another female of the same species build a web for her because she wouldn't do so herself. I thought this would get her to eat but to no avail. Thinking the roach I gave her was too big because she seemed afraid of it, I tried smaller prey, much smaller than is usually appropriate to one her size. Still she won't respond, usually when something is stuck in the web, these spiders will pounce no matter what, even if they arent hungry! The only response this girl gives is sort of cringing in her corner. I give her water every day as it's the only thing she'll accept, but she is very thin and needs to eat real food.
Can someone please help!?

Be Well and God Bless,
Mamata

P.S. No, I've never seen spiders of any species sit together like this before, he stays close to her often.

Attachments

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Very interesting behavior. Not sure why they would allow one another to get that close, I see no benefit.

What I can tell you is no, spiders do not get depressed like us, they lack the chemicals and complexity. Spiders, and all arachnids are driven by instinct, rather then thought & emotion. They are what we call a sensory based organism. Responding to its senses and what they detect in their environment.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Interesting! Maybe it's injured or just getting old.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In addition to squishing the egg sac, is it possible that you injured the spider?

Mamata Polle

Arachnopeon
To Shrike:
I don't think so, she has all her legs and her body looked undamaged, however I will take a better pic of her today so ya'll can see her, maybe you'll see something I can't.

To Oreo:
It is quite possible that she could be very old, these spiders can live upwards of eight years and I've seen some act in a similar manner during the twilight of their lives.

To Ciphor:
I don't anthropomorphise them, but I do think it's possible that they can register certain... emotions, just not the same way we do. I have seen some behaviors on the part of a number of arthropods that have convinced me that they are more than reactive automatons. When I say depressed, what I means is; has anyone noticed a pattern of self detrimental behavior in spiders after having lost an eggsack? The truth is that no one but a spider knows what goes on in a spider's head, (Cephalothorax) I was just wondering if anyone has seen this before, and if so, were they able to do anything about it?

Thanks to everyone for reading,
Be Well and God Bless,
Mamata

P.S I don't know why, but Southern House Spiders are unusually social with each other, I've seen them share webs, trade webs and quite often the male will stay in his mate's web while she makes an eggsack.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
To Shrike:
I don't think so, she has all her legs and her body looked undamaged, however I will take a better pic of her today so ya'll can see her, maybe you'll see something I can't.

To Oreo:
It is quite possible that she could be very old, these spiders can live upwards of eight years and I've seen some act in a similar manner during the twilight of their lives.

To Ciphor:
I don't anthropomorphise them, but I do think it's possible that they can register certain... emotions, just not the same way we do. I have seen some behaviors on the part of a number of arthropods that have convinced me that they are more than reactive automatons. When I say depressed, what I means is; has anyone noticed a pattern of self detrimental behavior in spiders after having lost an eggsack? The truth is that no one but a spider knows what goes on in a spider's head, (Cephalothorax) I was just wondering if anyone has seen this before, and if so, were they able to do anything about it?

Thanks to everyone for reading,
Be Well and God Bless,
Mamata
I've removed many egg sacs from their mother and many mothers from their egg sacs, they always carry on just the same. Just to clarify what I meant by that statement, Emotions are observed in mammalian animals because mammals have chemicals in the brain triggering feelings. Spiders actually have no chemicals in their brain that work to trigger feelings about events. Some of the chemicals mammals have include serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, epinephrine, norepinephrine, GABA, etc. Spiders have none of these, and hence no feelings. Now, you can describe what you observe as a emotion or feeling based reaction but I promise, it is not. What you are describing is your perspective of the event, your emotions attached to it, not the spiders. I'm trying to take a less argumentive stance with debates over the internet, but what you are feeling is Anthropomorphism/Personification.

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
Ciphor beat me to it.

I applaud your empathy, but these animals literally do not possess the physical means to produce things like sadness, love, etc.

That is, they really don't "register" emotions, because certain chemicals and structures need to be present for that to happen, and spiders don't have them. What you are doing is a textbook definition of anthropomorphism, even if you don't realize it.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Ciphor beat me to it.

I applaud your empathy, but these animals literally do not possess the physical means to produce things like sadness, love, etc.

That is, they really don't "register" emotions, because certain chemicals and structures need to be present for that to happen, and spiders don't have them. What you are doing is a textbook definition of anthropomorphism, even if you don't realize it.
I know my spiders love me though ;)

Mamata Polle

Arachnopeon
Textbook huh...

I can see I'm not going to be very popular around here, seeing as how my first meaningful post is probably going to get me ribbed for all time! LOL

"Hey look it's the girl who thinks her spiders wuv her!!! Bwhahahahahaha!!!"

Well let me clarify something right here, no, I don't think spiders love. If they did than it would probably go something like this:
Baby: Mommy!!!
Mother: Baby!!!
Mother: Come'er kid.
CHOMP
Mother: Don't look at me like that! I've got twenty-nine more and they all look the same, oh uh, now it's twenty-eight... mmm, tasty.

Well, I don't believe in internet arguments, and I'd rather see ya'll laughing at my expense then do that, so I think I'll just leave the unknown where it belongs... unknown.

About the point of this thread, she is going to starve to death if I don't get her to eat! Does anyone have any suggestions about that?

For your veiwing pleasure, here are both of them.

Attachments

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Arachnids lack the brainstructures (and chemicals, hormones, neurotransmitters etc etc) to feel any emotions, unless you would say that pain, hunger and sex drive are emotions. They have a set of inhibited behaviours, behaviours that are cued by external stimuli etc etc They have very simple nerve ganglia that allows for coordinating all kinds of behaviours, but they don't "feel emotions" or "some kind of emotions..How lucky are they!

But by all means, if you want to believe the contrary you should take your spiders to a animalshrink for a rebirthing session or so....To each his own...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
btw, your spider looks well fed and I don't know of any ways to stimulate to make it eat, if possible at all, sorry....

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Textbook huh...

I can see I'm not going to be very popular around here, seeing as how my first meaningful post is probably going to get me ribbed for all time! LOL

"Hey look it's the girl who thinks her spiders wuv her!!! Bwhahahahahaha!!!"

Well let me clarify something right here, no, I don't think spiders love. If they did than it would probably go something like this:
Baby: Mommy!!!
Mother: Baby!!!
Mother: Come'er kid.
CHOMP
Mother: Don't look at me like that! I've got twenty-nine more and they all look the same, oh uh, now it's twenty-eight... mmm, tasty.

Well, I don't believe in internet arguments, and I'd rather see ya'll laughing at my expense then do that, so I think I'll just leave the unknown where it belongs... unknown.

About the point of this thread, she is going to starve to death if I don't get her to eat! Does anyone have any suggestions about that?

For your veiwing pleasure, here are both of them.
I think what you are feeling is 100% normal Mamata and we see it all the time. No one is laughing at you, I'm definitely not. I took your question seriously and wanted to give you an accurate answer to the best of my ability.

Your spiders look great! Sometimes spiders will refuse food for reasons unknown. The usual suspect is stress. I would just make sure they have water, and try feeding once every week till she gets back to eating. I've noticed spiders tend to eat less as they get close to the end of their life. Is she an old spider? You might want to also try separating the male from the female. It is possible, that tho she is not attacking him, she could be stressed that he is around.

Pittbull lady might have some better advice, I know she has a lot of experience with black hole spiders.

Mamata Polle

Arachnopeon
To Michiel:
"But by all means, if you want to believe the contrary you should take your spiders to a animalshrink for a rebirthing session or so....To each his own... "
Ain't sarcasm grand... BTW, females of this species are usually quite round, I'll post a pic of another individual as reference.

To Ciphor:
Thanks for what you said, I really appreciate it. The truth is that I've found all of what you said to be facinating and informative, I just think a little differently that's all. Maybe I'll find out that I'm wrong sometime, maybe I won't. The fact is that accepting and learning from other people's oppinions are what make the internet so valuable.
I will try separating her from the male again, I originally put them together to help her but he may have just made things worse, I guess we'll find out. It's quite possible that she could be ancient, I'm not sure, so yes, she might be at the end of her life.
One question; the web she's in currently is very flimsy, only two nights work from another spider. She seems to have absolutely no attachment to it. I now have a cardboard tube with a very developed web inside, do you think it would help to give her this web or would moving her just stress her out more than it's worth.
I would really like to hear from Pitbull Lady too, it was one of her posts that drew me to this site.

Be Well and God Bless,
Mamata

Attachments

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Ah. Do let me dispense some wisdom here.

To the OP: your female is thin from having recently made the sac. Separate her from the male. Give her the tube that has webbing inside. You may have to guide her into it. Hopefully she will accept it. If she does, give her a prey (I feed mine small crickets with the hind legs removed), making sure the prey is firmly caught in the webbing near the tube opening. Once this is done, give her darkness.

Check on her in 24 hours and see if she has done anything with the prey. If you have kept them before, you know what to look for. ;)

To other replies: Don't berate a member for what they believe - the OP asked questions that could have been answered without sarcasm, and a "friendly debate" is more effective than belittling someone. You know I am right.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
They can be very thin right after laying eggs, so that by itself isn't necessarily an indication of poor health.

If she avoids live prey, you might try injuring or pre-killing the meal before placing it in the web (once she settles in, of course).

Let us know how she does!

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like to be a little provocative in my responses sometimes and my humour is indeed sarcastic and not perse belittelleling...

Cheers, Michiel

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
It looks like a healthy thin. I'm only concerned when my spiders start to look desiccated.

Mamata Polle

Arachnopeon
Thank You Silberrucken for all your help :smile:. I gave her the tube with the web inside and while I couldn't get her in at first, the minute I turned out the lights she went in on her own and made herself comfortable! I've given her a small moth but I'm not sure she's going to eat it, she showed absolutely no reaction. I'll check on her again tomorrow morning like you said, and hopefully she will have eaten it. Right now I'm trying to just leave her alone, she seems to prefer it.

Michiel, I know someone else who is like that, so I guess I'm used to it, well used to it being a pain in the...nevermind. Hehe, Probably rubbed off a little on me too now that I think of it. :sneaky:
Cheers to you too.

Oh, just saw your post Ciphor, thanks for all your help too! Yeah, she's not dessicated, it's just you don't often see healthy members of this species, (females,) that thin. It's more her behavior that was worrying me. However, she looked more...alive, in her new web then I've seen her in awhile

Be Well and God to Bless to All of You,
Mamata

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
"Recent findings in depression suggest a dysregulation in the dynamic and interactive relationship between neurotransmitters and receptors."

In other words, depression can be caused entirely by neuro-chemical interactions which can occur in any animal that possesses a brain.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
"Recent findings in depression suggest a dysregulation in the dynamic and interactive relationship between neurotransmitters and receptors."

In other words, depression may be caused entirely by neuro-chemical interactions which can occur in any animal that possesses a brain.
I think if a study is only playing around with possibilities it remains but a possibility. I'll bet dollars to dimes that is a study only performed on mammals; it is feasible to assume this wouldn't be the case in a less developed brain as their are no supporting chemicals to trigger an emotional response. In other words, you could have this problem with your neurotransmitters but have nothing in your brain that identifies it and gives the subsequent feelings of depression.

I guess my point is you would have to draw a lot of conclusions on assumptions to come to that conclusion with where the research is at currently.