Can a Ghost mantis live with a millipede?

CEAJ

Arachnopeon
Can a Ghost mantis live with a millipede? I have a female ghost mantis that is L3 and I just got a millipede, so I was wondering if they could live in the same terrarium together?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I say no.

Keep’em seperate might be the best if not only way in my opinion.

CEAJ

Arachnopeon
Ok, thank you! They are separate right now so I wasn't sure if I should put them together or not.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I think it best that they stay apart, though as long as the container is big, the substrate is deep, there are lots of hides, and the set up is great for both of them, I don’t see why it would be an issue. You do have the potential of the mantis eating the millipede, but as long as he is well fed you should be ok. But like I said at the start, it’s the best idea to keep them separate.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Personally I'd be more worried about the millipede eating the mantis during a molt; my millipedes regularly eat recently still-moving prekilled insects when my other inverts aren't hungry. I don't think the millipede will be in any danger, it will spend most of its time underground and a 2-inch long mantis that specializes in eating flying insects won't be interested in an armored, poisonous milli.
You will need to provide branches high enough for them to be separate and for the mantis to molt, and several inches of substrate. The enclosure will have to be quite tall to house both.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't mantids typically need very good ventilation too? I feel that that could cause issues for the millipede since the enclosure has more potential to dry out. Several inches of substrate can help with that, but it may end up being a tight line to walk. I'd say probably not.