Calosoma pupa

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I found this Calosoma larva at the side of the road earlier in the week:
6D49313B-F0FA-4457-8625-221AB53D1A35.jpeg

I put it in a container with shallow coir substrate with some water and a waxworm with the intention of releasing this weekend but now it has pupated!
F3743C82-CF90-412B-9F8B-824EE856BA82.jpeg

I have some experience with darkling beetles, but that is all! Should I relocate it a container with well-packed slightly damp substrate? Any advice would be appreciated! :embarrassed:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Keep it on a thin layer of moist coconut fiber, perhaps make the substrate slightly concave as well. Hopefully it'll enclosed successfully!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Keep it on a thin layer of moist coconut fiber, perhaps make the substrate slightly concave as well. Hopefully it'll enclosed successfully!
Thank you so much and sorry for being so incredibly late to reply! :shy:

I think the larva released all its stench when it pupated as it was quite overpowering! :dead:

Unlike the darkling pupae, this one did not respond to touch with any movement (I did not much but gently relocated it on the substrate). Fortunately, I did not have to wait long before the Calosoma beetle enclosed! :)

DF0698D3-2E5D-44FA-BBED-DAB54130FB11.jpeg
65BE3687-798A-46CA-9A73-4BF17E87B1ED.jpeg

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Thank you so much and sorry for being so incredibly late to reply! :shy:

I think the larva released all its stench when it pupated as it was quite overpowering! :dead:

Unlike the darkling pupae, this one did not respond to touch with any movement (I did not much but gently relocated it on the substrate). Fortunately, I did not have to wait long before the Calosoma beetle enclosed! :)

View attachment 295796
View attachment 295797
Haha no problem, congrats on the successful rearing, looks like a perfect specimen! :D I've noticed Carabid pupae are quite still when disturbed compared to Tenebrionid pupae, they don't gyrate nearly as much, they seem to have a much more compact shape to them.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Haha no problem, congrats on the successful rearing, looks like a perfect specimen! :D I've noticed Carabid pupae are quite still when disturbed compared to Tenebrionid pupae, they don't gyrate nearly as much, they seem to have a much more compact shape to them.
Yes! You describe them very accurately! :writer: Having previous experience only with Tenebrionid pupae, I did worry at how compact and still it was and feared that it was already dehydrated but fortunately all was well. :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yes! You describe them very accurately! :writer: Having previous experience only with Tenebrionid pupae, I did worry at how compact and still it was and feared that it was already dehydrated but fortunately all was well. :)
Yeah, that's the typical Carabid pupae look, some of the smaller species resemble Tenebrionid pupae more though. Rove beetle pupae are even more compact than that believe it or not, their legs almost look fused to the rest of their body! :wideyed: