1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calm(er) Poecilotheria species

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Element, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Element

Element Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi again. I started a thread the other day about must have T’s and it got purged with the fiasco the other day from the forum going down. On my “must have’s” I want to get a Pokie or two and I must clarify I AM NOT READY... yet... and I know that. I’m just getting used to my Psalmopoeus species and fast arboreals in general. I have helped my friend rehouse pokies over 30 times and I own 5 Psalmopoeus species that I have rehoused/moved. I’m looking about 6 months down the road from now to get myself a Pokie or two and want some recommendations. I know this topic has been posed in the past but I find it fun to see all the cool posts and I’m learning a ton from interacting and asking questions.

I’m looking for the calmer more relaxed species to dip my toe into the genus. So far I have heard fasciata, ornata, and rufilata should stay off my list for now. I’ve heard good things about Vittata, Miranda, Subfusca, and Regalis. What are your experiences and what would you recommend I look to start with?

2. Scarabyte

Scarabyte Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    I've heard Regalis and Vittata can be relatively calm, but I don't own any Pokies yet.

3. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    Due to my VERY limited experience, all i will say is that my faciata 3" DLS runs into its hidy hole almost every time the enclosure is touched but it always goes straight for it's hole.

My slightly smaller P. Metalica will randomly sprint laps around it's enclosure or just randomly just from me turning on a light or opening the door of the exo terra that i keep his enclosure in. Deffinitely the most spastic and unpredictable T in my collection.

i will also note that their setups are rather different and that could attribute a little to the behavior.

4. Element

Element Arachnopeon

The Metallica seems especially light sensitive and I’ve heard that it gets better as they age but as slings they REALLY don’t like light. I’ve just heard several keepers say that their fasciata is more confrontational. It’s interesting that you’ve had a different experience.

Also I really liked how easily my buddy’s female Regalis was to move she acted like an Avic for us lol. Not that I’d push my luck!

5. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Individuals vary. I've had threat postures from subfusca here and there. The only species I've kept that I can't remember throwing a stance is my regalis.

The entire genus is quite chill for ow arboreals. Literally everything else is much harder. You'd be fine with any of them honestly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    My P. Miranda is super laid back. I can open the enclosure and do maintenance and he won't budge at all. He's been a great eater though and has given me some great take downs. I've never seen a threat pose, never really bolts either, just kind of moves away a few inches if I accidentally breathe on him while cleaning out a bolus or something. Once some water ended up splashing out of the dish and hitting him and he kind of flailed a leg or two but didnt move from his spot.

7. Element

Element Arachnopeon

So you think I should just go with what catches my eye the most? I’ve rehoused an H. Mac which was really not fun in comparison and the Fasciata was a bit sketchy but beyond that most transfers have gone really smoothly so I haven’t experienced a “bad transfer” if it was done correctly. I’ve mostly tried to emulate what I’ve seen Tom Moran do for rehousing these guys and it’s gone fairly well. A threat posture actually doesn’t make me nervous as much as a run around and bite along the way kinda spider.

That’s definitely on my list and that just helps reconfirm the temperment

8. Venom1080

Yeah, you have plenty of experience with quick NW arboreals. You should be fine.

9. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi Arachnosquire Active Member

TX
    I think so much depends on individuals and not necessarily the species. But with pokies I’ve read over and over that miranda, subfusca, and regalis tend to be more laid back. I have a regalis and subfusca HL but both are around 3” so can’t really add any personal experience. I think overall pokies are more tolerant and less defensive than psalmos.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Element

Element Arachnopeon

Cool. That’s reassuring. I am still gonna take my time picking out the right species. Trust me I’m beyond cautious with these types of decisions. I luckily had a Pokie addict who lives near me to learn off his pokies and the Psalmopoeus are actually some of my favorite T’s that I own, but my apprehensions lie with comfortability with making sure I make a 100% effort that I or anyone I live with will NEVER be bitten by one of my T’s. I don’t need that much excitement in my day. And neither does the spider lol.

Again I want to get my Psalmopoeus Cambridgei’s at least to sub adult status before I move forward with any purchase which is fine because they grow pretty dang quick! It’s about 2 1/2” and I bought it about 2-3 months ago at less than an inch so it’ll be large in no time!

• Like Like x 1
  11. YagerManJennsen

YagerManJennsen Arachnobaron Active Member

Same Boat as Venom, I think you will do fine with whatever species you chose.

12. Element

Element Arachnopeon

Tbh I wasn’t really expecting that kind of response from people. I really appreciate the encouraging messages. That makes the decision less about getting a nicer/calmer species but more on making sure it’s the species I wanna keep. There are a lot of them that seem to look very similar with subtle differences.

13. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

It kinda backs up what I'd heard about them already but my subfusca 'Lowland' is stupidly calm, he's been easier to deal with than some of my Psalmopoeus species.

P. miranda are meant to be pretty chill, I hear regalis are as well but I also often hear that it's 50/50 as to whether you get a calm one or one that's an eight legged demon spawn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Venom1080

Pokies have those patterns for a reason. They prefer to remain undetected rather than fighting or even running. Alot of mine will stay still during disturbances. They think they're perfectly concealed on a tree in a Sri Lankan jungle, not on a glass wall a world away.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Element

Element Arachnopeon

That’s very true. They seem to hunker down most of the time and they don’t want to fight for the most part. My Psalmopoeus are more willing to fight and they are faster imo

16. Venom1080

I've found Poecilotheria to be angels compared to Psalmopoeus. Just very venomous angels..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Element

Element Arachnopeon

that’s what makes Psalmopoeus such a good stepping stone because if you avoid getting nipped by one of those you’ll be so much better prepared for a spider that backs up that mean streak with a mean venom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tearsacid

Tearsacid Arachnopeon

Texas
    I don't have much to add to this topic other than from what I've seen, they're all pretty fast & feisty as kiddos & some of these kids mellow out with age. I only have 2 but they're both insane fast & light sensitive. If I touch their enclosures they teleport.

I've heard a lot of people to say try avics if you want to start with mild mannered arboreals that are easier to manage. My versicolor is beautiful blue as a sling & has walked right out on my hand numerous times during feeding with no problem guiding him back into his vial.

Whatever you decide just research and take the proper precautions when housing them & you shouldn't have a problem either way =)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018 at 12:43 AM
  19. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Adult female pokies tend to be calmer....juvies are more skittish...mature males tend to be very high strung.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    I only have a vittata. An immature male that has been very easy to raise. Very pretty spider.