1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All Tarantula Hobbyists!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Merlinobrachys Wizardicus, Feb 12, 2019.

Guardian checklist :

1. Comment your thoughts

54.5%
  2. Link to good advice/threads/sites/videos

36.4%
  3. Share with others who can help

36.4%
  4. Be friendly ; avoid toxicity and hate

54.5%
  5. Set a good example

54.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tessa Clifton

Tessa Clifton Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    I really wish I could smack some sense into this person. That poor T clearly doesn't like his/her enclosure and definitely didn't want to be handled. And yelling at that poor guy because he was jumping around is just plain dumb. It would be annoying if we had to take like a test before we could get tarantulas but this person needs to not own these guys!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AnarchyQueen

AnarchyQueen Arachnopeon

Nevada
    I agree! But, I've always been on the side of having tests before owning certain exotic animals. I think it would cut down on the neglect/abuse these poor creatures endure because of their owner's stupidity :banghead: it may not help things completely, but I think it's definitely one of the first steps to these creatures having better rights with the way others look at the T/reptile/arachnid hobbies

3. Katiekooleyes

Katiekooleyes Arachnosquire

UK

Firstly, was that filmed in a crack den? Pretty sure that was a crack den!

Secondly, I only watched the first vid, and that was enough. That was without a doubt, cruelty and nothing more! The enclosure was WAY too small, and not nearly enough substrate etc inside it. And as for that fall!

The Youtuber kept saying "you're just showing off to the camera" and yelling at the T. Firstly, the T can't hear you, idiot! Secondly, the T doesn't give a darn about an audience, it just wants to get as far away as possible from you! YOU'RE the one showing off to the camera, and it's your T that's suffering for it. Do everyone and everything a favour and get a pet slinky. It seems that's all you're capable of handling!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

Sigh. I'm not gonna watch those.

Well, I am, but I'm not happy about it. But only the first one.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. AnarchyQueen

AnarchyQueen Arachnopeon

Nevada
    Honestly, a pet slinky may be a bit too advanced for these people :hilarious::hilarious: it may fall off the table just to show off to the camera :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

"I've been bit numerous times"

Bit? Numerous times? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

Tasty bass guitar licks girl may have some real competition here!

I almost made it to the end. Almost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    Don't watch the videos, don't give them views.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Award Award x 1
  8. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Yep. This, basically.

While a part of me will watch, probably, other videos made by this person, just for lolz, because 'ignorance' and 'stupidity' always manage to 'fascinate' me :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. louise f

louise f Arachnoangel

Stupidity. Makes me cringe :mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Chris LXXIX

Yes, and it's perfectly legit. Just that I'm not anymore bothered by that, sweety.

I'm a Demigod, after all :yawn:

:kiss:

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

I couldn't make it through any of those, my cringe reflex went into overdrive almost immediately.

I'm pretty sure that fine upstanding crack dens all over the West Coast would be offended by that comparison :pompous::troll:

• Funny Funny x 7
  12. "ornamental tiger bearded purple tree bird eater & something striped"
    Now THAT is a species I would pay good money for haha

This is why I made this thread! They need to learn some basics or these animals will be in bad shape in no time! Some comments are already trying to get through and share advice but it falls on deaf ears; Unless they are a sociopath these voices will surely break through sooner or later if they speak loud enough and send the right message

88w88

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Chris LXXIX

I obviously don't know those guys (those? Or is one person only behind that channel? Just a detail, anyway) but one thing is certain: the person in those vids is clearly a young one, and in general, young or not, a person doesn't want to "be educated", unless said person is intellectually honest and humble enough for know the ancient motto that states 'So di non sapere', which means, from Italian to English, 'I'm aware that I don't know'.

I'm 40, and I still follow that motto, in life.

I'm a man that is seriously (and I repeat, seriously) pissed off when people (definitely keepers not comparable to this person, at a mere attitude/ability level) here in this site (probably the most important one, at an international level) doesn't respect scientific names, and types the likes of 'P. cam'; 'P. met' etc or crap like Grammostola Rosea - grammostola Rosea.

For me is outrageous, honestly.

Does someone really believes and thinks that, ah ah, the first @Chris LXXIX, would be 'heared' and/or could deal with that kind of persons? No, no way.

He/she is the one that, first thing first, needs to educate him/herself, out of good will.

No matter my love for jokes and nonsense and whatever, I'm the first that loves to help others (if I can, when I can) but always only if there's a bit of attitude, good faith etc

If not, I don't give a damn, honestly.

14. It's a problem that can never be effectively fought at the shops, it must be battled by the community to give those who are clueless the information they desperately need. The more easily accessibly the information is the more likely it will be that most people can use it; the easier tarantula care is to understand - the better the resources; the more accessible they are; the more noon-friendly it is - the more chance newcomers will have what they need to treat the animals right.

In a perfect world people would need to prove competence before having access to many things - animals, guns, cars, you name it - and while some of these do have requirements that need to be met it is inevitable some clueless, ineligible people will slip past. The best hope is for a community to support at the foundations to build a better future. person by person. Tarantula by Tarantula.

It's a difficult battle, but the greatest victories in history have been the hardest to win - ending the genocide of WWII, abolishing slavery, fighting for equal rights - its the very fight against suffering that gives life purpose. Person by person

88w88

15. korlash091

korlash091 Arachnosquire Active Member

MÉXICO
    She sleeps with them? she makes them crawl upside down ??
    She's definitely on drugs!

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

I haven't even seen the videos yet since I'm using mobile data currently but already I'm feeling like sending a Phlogius or Hadronyche species their way and seeing how they deal with them.

(Not really, I would never want to doom a spider by sending it to this keeper)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. korlash091

korlash091 Arachnosquire Active Member

MÉXICO
    This is even worst!! She steals stuff and people know she has a stealing problem??:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

How can you read their mind?? That's a tall claim.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. matypants

matypants Arachnopeon

Now is the time to donate to their cause. I recommend gifting something from the Phoneutria genus.

20. Chris LXXIX

More likely (and I'm a bit on the 'offensive' side, now) the money needed for a honestly skilled tattoo artist: that 'skeleton' hand is, frankly, something unwatchable, ih ih :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2