1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All Tarantula Hobbyists!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Merlinobrachys Wizardicus, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM.

Guardian checklist :

1. Comment your thoughts

62.5%
  2. Link to good advice/threads/sites/videos

50.0%
  3. Share with others who can help

50.0%
  4. Be friendly ; avoid toxicity and hate

62.5%
  5. Set a good example

62.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Advertisement
    Urgent help is needed ! A YouTube channel by the name Westcoast Exotics has been regularly posting videos of their tarantulas and scorpions - but there is a catch

They are cripplingly ameturish. It is dumbfounding how little they know about the care needed. Every video is swamped with dislikes and comments trying to help them, give advice and correct mistakes but every video they go ignored.
    They have received comment after comment but so far nothing has broken through

I call to arms all hobbyists; all enthusiasts; all who can help! This is not a war against at them but a rally to break through their stubborn ignorance. Please, as a community, work together to create a voice they cannot ignore.

This is not a call for hate and toxicity but for the good of the community to shine and correct the mistakes. They need help and good hearts are the best solution!

I know in their heart they mean well for the animals but the path they take is dark and dangerous.

Unite and show them the light

88w88 ~Merlinobrachys 88w88

2. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnobaron Active Member

Terrible youtuber, Yes. But definetly is a noob who was probably inspired by either the Dark Den or Exotics Lair, No offense. The problem is that the most T.-youtubers are mostly consists of noobs and barely experienced keepers. Not all of them are bad or noobs. But the influence certainly has caused the perspective of the T. hobby wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Definitely agree that the bigger content creators reach a far bigger audience than the hobby would normally reach, encouraging amitures to buy animals without knowing anything

But they can always learn; the community can make it's voice heard and, for the better of the noob and the animals they keep, give useful information to allow better care!

It is only by teaching that one may learn

88w88

4. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Those fellas?

Due to my crappy English I can't figure out now if they are from the U.S or from the UK (like I think), definitely if they are British they are an embarassing to the whole 'BTS' school of keeping.

I think I'll pass, honestly: no point into trying to educate someone that doesn't even wants to listen, in the first place. A quite quick look at the comment section, and here we go with an helluva of: "... you listen to no one that given you advice" etc

We are living in a definitely huge era of ignorance... irony, the informations are at hand, and easily.

This is one of the reasons why (call me 'Elite' I don't care) Theraphosidae and other venomous inverts should remain always a niche passion, and not a mainstream one.

Because the arachnid keeping is for many, but not for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Sad Sad x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I'm assuming 'westcoast' is refering to common USA geographic terminology of the west coast of USA (I've heard west coast/east coast terms thrown around a lot in that context)

I don't expect everyone to take action, it feels like talking to a wall and a complete waste if time and frankly I simply appreciate the response here.

But with enough to voices making enough noise even the most deaf ears may start to hear words of wisdom

88w88

6. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    I only made it 2 minutes into that first video, I couldn't watch any more than that. Absolutely sad, from the setup to the blatant misunderstanding of the T's behavior to the dangerous handling of that T - they're so lucky that T landed on the table (I think that's a table?) and not the floor. An injury or death just waiting to happen.

Am I a bad person if I wish the keeper would get bit just to teach them a very important lesson when it comes to putting your hands where they don't belong? If they're keen on ignoring advice, maybe they'd learn something from that experience at least.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. Chris LXXIX

Yes, the username make sense and reminds the West Coast of the U.S.

I was (and still I am) in doubt because, since I'm not from the U.S, UK or for that matter from another English speaking nation, my 'ears' can't pinpoint well all of the English language accents, variations etc

I know what you mean, you are in complete good faith, man, but IMO isn't even a question of having 'numbers' either (eventually, with 'numbers', sooner or later may happen that someone will lose his/her temperament and the whole thing degenerate into 'Internet bickering') but a question of having the head properly screwed or not.

A perfect example: I was a beginner like everyone else, and there's absolutely nothing wrong in that. Everyone was and is a beginner in something, at one point or another. No one is a natural born teacher.

Yet (and btw I was more young that the person in the video, when I've started, since I was 13/14 and I'm 40 today) I always believed, no matter my 'beginner' level, that the handling of a venomous animals was, and still is, a pretty stupid and not logical thing to do. See this has nothing to do with T's and whatnot experience, but with sense, logical etc

Check how much was pissed off that C.lividus, it's beyond me that no bite/s was delivered, since a bite was the thing asked.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. It's a shock the Ts don't actually bite / scorpions don't sting - makes me feel sorry for the experienced keepers who are misfortunate enough to to get a bite instead.

I hope and pray that with time and enough encouragement they change their ways and learn what needs to be learned! The animals deserve the right care and the keeper deserves to learn and improve

It's a disaster to see and makes me wonder how many others there are making the same mistakes, only not sharing them publicly online

A strong and positive community will prevail in the end 88w88

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Justin H

Justin H Previously Justin Henderson Active Member

Those people are definitely from the US. It's heartbreaking to see how they treat tarantulas.

I think you guys are going to see more people now than ever entering the hobby. Tarantula Youtube channels are exposing hundreds of thousands of people to the hobby that would normally have no interest. And a lot of Ts are going to suffer for it.

I don't know what you can do other than lead people here and shame/dislike the bad videos. I personally think we need more laws protecting inverts... it should be illegal to keep them in poor conditions (especially in pet shops).

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Chris LXXIX

Ah ah ah :hilarious:

Yeah, I do agree. That kind of scenario is the one I always wanted to avoid, but is indeed a reality.

"With high numbers comes also high crap" :writer:

Thankfully, I live in Italy, where T's are already regulated and, more important, where there's absolutely no place, among the Italian keepers and our Forums, for those kind of stunts and grotesque jokes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Sad Sad x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Justin H

Justin H Previously Justin Henderson Active Member

"I was sleeping with her, and I put some drops in my ear because I have an infection, and she bit me."

What?!?! There's something wrong with this person--very stupid or abusing drugs.

• Agree Agree x 8
  12. Perhaps a bite from an OBT would set them straight Even as a UK resident I couldn't pin down the location from the accent but none the less with time I hope to see them develop as a keeper to a point of competence and responsibility.

88w88

13. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    "My friend has an oriental baboon, it's so aggressive you can't open the enclosure - it's webbed up and it burns to open the enclosure because she flicks hairs"

Well what kind of T is it???? "Oriental baboons" (i'm assuming they mean a Poeci of some sort) don't have urticating setae! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

This individual. Just. What? WHAT?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    Can't be a Pokie, pokies are indian and therefore not baboons. It's probably an H. mac or something.

15. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    God forbid.

16. Chris LXXIX

There's people that wouldn't figure out the differences between a nuclear warhead and an hand firecracker so that 'oriental baboon' could be everything :writer:

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    You're very right, but I'm going off the assumption that the name is what they bought it as, and I'm hoping the person they bought it from had at least some idea of what it was.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Chris LXXIX

The problem is exactly this: with the 'common names' insanity (in the U.S such practice is big, at 360°, while non existent in Italy) unless 'you' really know what you are next to purchase/have purchased (which clearly isn't the case, here, this guy is a joke), you never know which kind of common name/new invented common name may jumps out -- obviously, the U.S keepers active on this site, excluded.

Edit.

Just a minute for explain why common names in Italy aren't tolerated.

1) The community and the Italian Arachnid Society firmly stick to scientific names. No jokes about that.

2) Here T's (and arachnids at 360°) are regulated, hence in official Expo/s etc you can't label a spider 'ornamental tiger bearded purple tree bird eater & something striped', because doesn't exist such a thing, while (mere example) Poecilotheria ornata, exist.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:39 PM
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    I nearly choked on my own spit laughing at that. :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. AnarchyQueen

AnarchyQueen Arachnopeon

Nevada
    I couldn't even get about a minute in the first video before I started getting angry. :rage: that poor tarantula is NOT happy and is probably really on edge because of the way she is handling. Some tarantulas don't like ANY handling, even gentle and calm handling, so this is just ridiculous. Do they realize that she may be much happier/docile if she wasn't running around in, what I can only assume by glance, is shavings of some sort? :banghead:And yelling at the T is NOT going to do any help. Oh, these people :arghh: I really hope they start taking advice, I can't believe anyone would think the way they treat these creatures is okay :nailbiting::(