Calling all Hadrurus arizonensis keepers or better yet... experts

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

small spots sometimes occur in wc specimens and don´t necessarily mean the scorpion is going to die. Only if it spreads rapidly the infected specimen will die sooner or later.

Regards
Alex

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's been the same since I got her, not spreading. I am not too worried about it at this point. The scorp came with it.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
I counted 7 scorplings today, possibly 8. So I am happy with that, since I don't think there were much more than 12 originally. I want to try and get them through the next molt or two and then think about splitting them into two groups (of atleast four hopefully!). I'll have a tank ready -of the same size- with exactly the same substrate. I don't want to put them into little tubs (like I had planned originally, I've got a feeling they will just die if I do that).
If you don't separate into individual containers them there’s a high chance they will eat each other, even very communal species will happily eat siblings during moults and this species is not renowned for its communality. Most people found individual tubs to work really well for scorplings as they let you easily change the conditions quickly and save allot of space. (though burrowing can be a problem)

Very nifty pictures of the scorplings by the way, beautiful species.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah I realise this. I've kept them together for as long as possible to get them successfully through the first two molts. I think it is probably time to start seperating them now. I just ordered some new gear in light of this; I don't fancy putting them in small tubs, you see.

Thanks for the advice.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I flung in a few small hoppers today, and a feeding frenzy erupted. Up they came from their burrows and they are getting BIG...

Again, I counted 5 at any one time, but I tossed in alot of feeders (8 or so) and they were all dispersed within minutes... :?

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just saw 7 scorplings all out at the same time, and I am sure there are MORE from observing them, and individuals appearing from different parts of the set-up. I am very happy about this. A couple look like they are going to molt again soon, and are spending alot of time in the moist corner of the tank. I will seperate them shortly.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, they are all now very fat (except for one) and the fat ones are out of sight in their burrows. Some have dug their own burrows and have sealed themselves in, so I guess a molt could be on the way. I'll keep you all informed. So far, so good.

The thinner scorpling is still out and about alot, it needs to feed up alot more.

They are very bold and aggressive compared to my B. jacksoni 2nd instars. And ofcourse alot bigger too!

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks man
good luck
and keep up the good work
this is proving to be a great thread

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
man what great pictures of those babys ! i hope they make it that would be incredible ! good like man. :D

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations, this thread was fantastic reading, please continue !!

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

This is the most recent picture I've taken, of a very plump scorpling in a relatively shallow burrow. It has blocked itself in and has remained in place for three days now. I intend on blasting the enclosure again tonight with a 'monsoon' and partially covering the lid to get humidity back up. I've always left one side of the tank very wet, the middle not so and the other side bone dry and ventilated at all times to give the scorplings a choice of where they want to reside.

Last edited:

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What substrate mix are you using? Looks good!

I think the desert hairies mesomorph composition is beautiful. With the telson and tail and pincers in a nice ratio to each other.

Stringy looking tails and tiny pincers put me off...

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, they are great looking scorps! My favourite species at this point and the most entertaining too. I have to hold back from feeding my adult female, she is ravenous!

Also, as far as the substrate goes, it is a mix of two...

Red Desert Sand (Exo Terra)
Calci Sand (T Rex - Bone Aid)

The Calci sand is ofcourse much denser with larger particles. I mix both substrates, probably 3 parts desert sand to 1 or 2 parts calci sand. Wet and compact it tightly. It has lasted for months, including extensive burrowing from the mother and now by several scorplings.

I have two other set-ups ready. One has black desert sand and black calci sand. Looks real nice :D. And it will be easy to see the scorps.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As I said, all the scorplings are very fat now and approaching the second molt. Here is a recent picture of one (I took it last night):

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice and fat scorp :D. Congrats. What kind of material of ground use you ??

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You seem to be doing great! All the little scorplings seem to be happy. I love that picture of all the little guys under the burrow. I hope they turn out fine, great pleasure reading this thread through.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Like I always say... ALWAYS USE A LID! :D

Albeit, the walls could do with a wipe down as they are covered in substrate from all my escavating earlier in the process...

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Parabuthus-

Awesome job so far and thank you for keeping all of us up-tp-date with your progress and that of the scorplings which, are looking very robust and healthy! I'm keeping notes as I hope to breed my gals in the future, especially my pallidus variants. Good luck for continued success!

Luc