California trapdoor spider

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congratulations! I knew you were looking for one. How did you find it and get it out? Give us the details!!!

TrapdoorSpiderLover

Arachnosquire
Congratulations! I knew you were looking for one. How did you find it and get it out? Give us the details!!!
Yes, give us the whole scoop please!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
the area i was searching had a whole lot of empty trapdoor burrows but i managed to find one which was occupied, at first i tried to lure it out with a cricket which it tried taking but quickly bolted deeper in the hole for whatever reason, so in a panic i poured water down which didnt work so in an even bigger panic i quickly dug up the whole burrow which was all muddy and so like any smart person i started poking around with my finger and then something muddy started moving which was the spider so i quickly rinsed her off with water and bam thats how i got my first california trapdoor spider

squidkid

Arachnoknight
the area i was searching had a whole lot of empty trapdoor burrows but i managed to find one which was occupied, at first i tried to lure it out with a cricket which it tried taking but quickly bolted deeper in the hole for whatever reason, so in a panic i poured water down which didnt work so in an even bigger panic i quickly dug up the whole burrow which was all muddy and so like any smart person i started poking around with my finger and then something muddy started moving which was the spider so i quickly rinsed her off with water and bam thats how i got my first california trapdoor spider
FLOODING NEVER WORKS, and its not a problem that the spider was underwater i've had those things stay in their burrow for 45 minutes underwater with me constantly refilling the hole, and the spider was fine

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That was me when trying to flood an Aphonopelma anax out of its burrow in Arizona: Not gonna happen.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
these require clay substrate and heat with a lid always open. mine wouldnt eat or do anything unless the enclosure was around 75-80 degrees and it made a HUGE mess throwing dirt clods out as it worked in its burrow, so be careful about that

the reason you need the lid open is so the spider can toss the clumps out or else they'll roll down and screw the burrow up