1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calcium problem

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Radamanthys, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Advertisement
    I heard somewhere that you should feed crickets/roaches that are gonna be fed to T's with eggshells, so the T can get plenty of calcium to have a strong exoeskeleton. (or whatever you write it, lol).

Can't that much calcium create problems during molting?

2. Mushroom Spore

Mushroom Spore Arachnoemperor Old Timer

3. bliss

bliss Arachnoprince

as Mushroom spore has already said, no calcium should be used in the diet of crix/roaches. T's don't need it :)

--dan--

edit: when i was still collecting T's and other inverts, i fed my B dubia, B craniifer, my G portentosa's and my Harlequin roaches mainly sliced apples, potatoes, a garden mix i guess you could say. Beware, Flukers sales some cricket food that is called "gut loader". it looks like it would be good, and it IS good for the crix, but it's only for reptiles as it has a lot of calcium in it.

4. Yeah, i thought so.
    that was why i got suspicious :?
    some guys think that cause tarantulas are exotic pets, live in terrariums, and eat insects, just as lizards, they are the same thing ¬¬

5. Remigius

Remigius Arachnobaron

yeah... exapt their exoskeleton is made of chitin. There's no need for calcium then.

6. Two

Two Arachnopeon

PNW
    So they don't need a lot of calcium, but is it bad for them? I ask because I get this stuff to feed my crickets called Total Bites that has calcium among other things, and the box claimed it was a good gutloader for feeder crickets for Ts as well as reptiles.

7. Tuwin

Tuwin Arachnoknight

To much calcium can lead to many molt issues. I would not gut load my feeders with Calcium

8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Arachnobaron

Can too much calcium lead to a wet molt?