Cage size

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
I need a vertical cage for my sling I'm not sure how big its going to be for him ive had him in his current cage for about 5 months and theres not much room for him in his web, is it ok to get a bigger cage for him to grow into?

Attachments

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
First off, what kind of tarantula is that? 2ndly, if this is an arboreal species, then why do you have it set up as a terrestrial? 3rdly, if it's a terrestrial, why do you want an arboreal enclosure for it?

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
First off, what kind of tarantula is that? 2ndly, if this is an arboreal species, then why do you have it set up as a terrestrial? 3rdly, if it's a terrestrial, why do you want an arboreal enclosure for it?
He is a pink toe I got him when he was much smaller they didn't have any arboreal him at the time, now that hes bigger they have a cage its just big so I'm asking if its ok to get a bigger cage they can grow into

Bearded Warrior

Arachnopeon
As pinktoes are arboreal, I'd suggest getting an arboreal enclosure for him. They don't require too much in the way of floor space, a 12"x12"x18" enclosure will be more than sufficient. I personally would keep him in an enclosure more suited to his immediate size though and work my way up as he moults.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
So you're telling me that in the 5 months you've had this spider, you couldn't have gone to Walmart, Dollar Tree, or anything like that, or even a deli and got a tall enclosure? You can go to any deli and ask for a tall deli cup with a lid and they will give it to you for free. I'm surprised it's lasted this long in that set up. You don't have to get all fancy with an Exo Terra or anything like that... Go to Walmart, go in their container section and you can get plastic canisters that you can put flour or cereal in. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1-Gal-Food-Storage-Canister-White/16408650 You can melt some holes on the lid (smaller than the tarantula's carapce) and make several holes down the sides of the canister leaving about an inch or so from the bottom for dry substrate.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
He is a pink toe I got him when he was much smaller they didn't have any arboreal him at the time, now that hes bigger they have a cage its just big so I'm asking if its ok to get a bigger cage they can grow into
Yeah it should be fine. I drop meal worms right by my pink toes and put water on their webbing, so a bigger cage wouldn’t matter much.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
What's the legspan of your tarantula? That enclosure seems fine in terms of size, you should be able to just turn it on it's side and make an acrylic lid to hold in a small layer of substrate in and eliminate the screen. As long as you keep the substrate dry (like you should already be doing for this species), it would be fine. I have an adult female Avic I keep in a large kritter keeper. I admit it's a little on the small side, but it's still plenty of room for her to spread out to rest and explore when she wants.

buzz182

Arachnosquire
You're going to get a lot of similar points being made about the enclosure as it is, but we can't the past. you really need to identify what you want in your enclosure, what you are willing to pay and the needs of your T. I would advise moving it into a more appropriate enclosure ASAP even if this is just a temporary enclosure such as the one suggested by @InvertAddiction
I use similar for my Psalmopoeus irminia and they work very well. I will eventually move "her" into an Exo Terra or similar enclosure as I like the look of them better and I think they better if you wish to have your T in a place where they are on display.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm surprised it's lasted this long in that set up.
Why? Kritter Keepers have excellent ventilation and it's not like she's giving it the monsoon treatment like most noobs who have read internet care sheets do, I moisten a corner or overflow the water dish in my Avic/Cari enclosures.

Is it perfect? No, but's not like she has it in a deathtrap. Chill out.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Why? Kritter Keepers have excellent ventilation and it's not like she's giving it the monsoon treatment like most noobs who have read internet care sheets do, I moisten a corner or overflow the water dish in my Avic/Cari enclosures.

At first glance of the picture I thought it was a tank. Still though, 5 months is a long time to not attempt to look for an appropriate enclosure and just laziness. The thing about typing, you never know how someone takes advice. Advice is just that. The way I see it is I'm only trying to help. Take my advice or don't. It's not my spider that I've procrastinated on properly caring for.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Another Avic owner that didn't bother to do proper research, how unusual :rolleyes:

boina

Lady of the mites

No, it's not a death trap and an Avic can survive in there but it's far from optimal. And for some reason the spider seems to be sitting on the ground... That makes me wonder. Avics NEVER sit on the ground unless they are sick.

OP. the decoration in the tank is pretty suboptimal, too. For some reason people seem to assume an arboreal spider needs something to climb on (e.g. sticks), but that's fundamentally wrong. They need something to live and hang out on off the ground. Your Avic needs a solid piece of cork bark or wood standing more or less upright where it can sit on and spred it's legs and be comfortable and it needs to be surrounded by fake leaves whre it can make a web in.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Avics NEVER sit on the ground unless they are sick.
Or if they're hungry, or if they've just been housed when in heavy pre-moult and can't be arsed to make a moulting mat higher up, or sometimes just to troll people who think they only sit on the floor when they're about to cark it (probably).

Seriously, if I panicked every time either of my versicolor subadults or my A. variegata touched substrate then my heart would grow arms, rip itself out of my chest and proceed to hundred-hand slap my face while telling me to stop being hysterical :rofl:

boina

Lady of the mites
Or if they're hungry, or if they've just been housed when in heavy pre-moult and can't be arsed to make a moulting mat higher up, or sometimes just to troll people who think they only sit on the floor when they're about to cark it (probably).

Seriously, if I panicked every time either of my versicolor subadults or my A. variegata touched substrate then my heart would grow arms, rip itself out of my chest and proceed to hundred-hand slap my face while telling me to stop being hysterical :rofl:
What exactly are we discussing here? We both know an Avic may come down to hunt or drink but doesn't usually hang around on the ground. I said it makes me wonder why this one seems to do so. Maybe there's a harmless reason, maybe the reason is not so harmless. Wondering about it seems pretty reasonable to me. And I don't think your Avic enclosures look like the one presented here.

No, this is not the worst Avic enclosure I've ever seen by a long shot. It does have room for improvement, though, and somehow I'm pretty sure you'd agree, so why do you get so defensive on the OPs behalf?