Caerostris sexcuspidata

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Was reading about this spider and thought I'd share some pictures for those who don't know about this little guy. Amazing camouflage to say the least. They are found in southern Africa.

tester101.jpg tester102.jpg tester103.jpg

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool. Does it change colors as well? What family does it belong to?

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Very cool. Does it change colors as well? What family does it belong to?
They are orb weavers in Araneidae. Such a diverse family. I believe they have a pretty dull color morphology comprised of earth tones ranging from brown to grey, however they have not been observed well enough, and some species in the genus have no recorded males. Common name is "Bark spiders". Same genus as the Darwin bark spider, known for building the largest webs recorded.

Caerostris_darwini_web.jpg Caerostris_darwini_web_span.jpg

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
A broken tree limb knot hole mimic?! That's pretty awesome. What are you reading? No web based stuff available that I could find.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
A broken tree limb knot hole mimic?! That's pretty awesome. What are you reading? No web based stuff available that I could find.
Not yet published work that I probably shouldn't even mention.

There are more pictures with google however. There is some good published work for the darwin bark spider if your interested.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Now this is NEAT!!!! I did a double-take at the first pic, LOL. Ciphor, thanks for sharing.