C Versicolor sling premolt

Alighthouse

Arachnopeon
Apologies in advance because I know many people have discussed this topic, but I'm a beginner wondering about possible premolt in a caribena versicolor sling that I got two weeks ago. I am confused because: 1. My sling's abdomen doesn't appear large or shiny and 2. Its legs appeared transparent when I held a flashlight behind it. The sling hasn't eaten for a week and a half, and has appeared slower and has been having a bit of trouble rounding corners. It hasn't been on the substrate but when I took the lid off to change the water, it sat on the floor the whole time. It has been drinking a lot of water. It fell once when I replaced the lid on the enclosure. It appears very dark- nearly black, but not shiny. It has not webbed a single bit since I got it. If this is premolt, I'm sorry for my paranoia... I just wanted some input so that I didn't miss anything serious. If the sling is in danger, what can I do?

Attachments

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
My sling just molted today, I couldn't see any difference in anything color, movement, nothing. Maybe just mine but hard to tell at that size.

Mike Miller

Arachnopeon
based off of what you are saying, it sounds like a premolt. Im not sure about the falling to the ground, but if there is an issue there isn't much else you can do. The abdomen does look a little on the smaller side, or my c. versi sling is a fatty. just give it some time and whatever you do don't put it in one of the tarantula "ICU"s that i see some people do with moist paper towels and very little ventilation. How long have you had the sling? It took mine about a month before it started to web the enclosure. unfortunately i hear there are times when no matter how on point your care is, the sling won't make it. No fault of your own

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Think the abdomen size is appropriate for the size. It is hard to tell when the little ones eat. Just keep offering cricket legs or whatever you use for food on your regular schedule.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Mine molted two days ago, the second molt in my care, and both times I see no physical signs typical of many species (like you described above). The only indicator I get that it may be in pre-molt is fasting, although that’s even difficult to notice because it is one of the worst eaters I keep. Also, it spends time on the ground pretty regularly, it actually has a burrow under the wood in its enclosure. All this being said, no need to worry.

Alighthouse

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the responses. Here is a picture of the enclosure as well- let me know if anybody sees something I can improve. I have realized that I might have it upside down, but I figured since my sling isn't webbing it isn't worth stressing it out to change it yet.

based off of what you are saying, it sounds like a premolt. Im not sure about the falling to the ground, but if there is an issue there isn't much else you can do. The abdomen does look a little on the smaller side, or my c. versi sling is a fatty. just give it some time and whatever you do don't put it in one of the tarantula "ICU"s that i see some people do with moist paper towels and very little ventilation. How long have you had the sling? It took mine about a month before it started to web the enclosure. unfortunately i hear there are times when no matter how on point your care is, the sling won't make it. No fault of your own
Thanks for the reply! I've had it for two weeks. I won't put it in an ICU... I've been just using a water dish for moisture and trying to keep cross-ventilation high. An issue I've been having is high humidity in the place where I live, so that I can't really keep low humidity in the enclosure, but I'm doing my best to keep it from getting stuffy.

Mine molted two days ago, the second molt in my care, and both times I see no physical signs typical of many species (like you described above). The only indicator I get that it may be in pre-molt is fasting, although that’s even difficult to notice because it is one of the worst eaters I keep. Also, it spends time on the ground pretty regularly, it actually has a burrow under the wood in its enclosure. All this being said, no need to worry.
This is reassuring- thanks!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
An issue I've been having is high humidity in the place where I live, so that I can't really keep low humidity in the enclosure, but I'm doing my best to keep it from getting stuffy.
Humidity is NOT relevant, ignore the term altogether, it does not apply to tarantulas.

Dry sub and good ventilation is all thats needed, regardless if you live in humid Florida or the desert in Las vegas.

Alighthouse

Arachnopeon
Humidity is NOT relevant, ignore the term altogether, it does not apply to tarantulas.

Dry sub and good ventilation is all thats needed, regardless if you live in humid Florida or the desert in Las vegas.
Thanks for letting me know! I definitely had some faulty information!

Alighthouse

Arachnopeon
Update: I guess the sling wasn't in premolt because it is eating now... I kept trying prey and it kept ignoring it until today, when I placed a disabled red runner roach next to the water dish. The sling ignored it until it accidentally stepped on the roach- then, an epic takedown and pulled it up to the top of the enclosure! I am a beginner so my opinion could be completely wrong, but perhaps my sling doesn't see very well, even for a tarantula? It definitely didn't seem to notice the prey before stepping on it.