C. Versicolor Problems... Again

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
So I have a C. Veriscolor sling, and shes been denying prey for about 3 months now. I'm pretty positive she's not in premoult since she stopped eating right after she moulted back in November. I'm not worried really. She's always drinking water, and she's really active, so I know she isn't dehydrated or anything. I'm just curious, what's the longest period of time that your C. Veriscolors have denied food?

basin79

ArachnoGod
So I have a C. Veriscolor sling, and shes been denying prey for about 3 months now. I'm pretty positive she's not in premoult since she stopped eating right after she moulted back in November. I'm not worried really. She's always drinking water, and she's really active, so I know she isn't dehydrated or anything. I'm just curious, what's the longest period of time that your C. Veriscolors have denied food?
That seems like an awfully long time for a sling not to eat. Might seem a silly question but does she have her fangs?

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
That seems like an awfully long time for a sling not to eat. Might seem a silly question but does she have her fangs?
Definitely not a silly question. I'm aware that sometimes after moults, tarantulas can lose their fangs, but luckily yes. She has her fangs! Her abdomen is not shriveled either. She seems perfectly healthy.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Definitely not a silly question. I'm aware that sometimes after moults, tarantulas can lose their fangs, but luckily yes. She has her fangs! Her abdomen is not shriveled either. She seems perfectly healthy.
Have you tried a prekilled prey item?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have not, but she's never minded live prey. I always fed her small crickets since I got her back in July.
I will admit my knowledge of slings is extremely limited but 3 months seems a while. But if he/she is drinking/moving around then like the majority of the time they know what they're doing.

Keep an eye on your thread as I'm sure those with experience with slings will chip in.

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
I will admit my knowledge of slings is extremely limited but 3 months seems a while. But if he/she is drinking/moving around then like the majority of the time they know what they're doing.

Keep an eye on your thread as I'm sure those with experience with slings will chip in.

Thanks I appreciate the advice!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I have three Caribena versicolor currently. Two 3” juvies I raised from 1/4” slings, and one 1/2” sling.

They’re GOOD eater.

I hardly experienced any fasting from them unless they are in pre molt or molt right after.

Like what @basin79 said, I would definitely go for pre killed prey.

Three months fasting from the sling is pretty unusual I would say.

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
I have three Caribena versicolor currently. Two 3” juvies I raised from 1/4” slings, and one 1/2” sling.

They’re GOOD eater.

I hardly experienced any fasting from them unless they are in pre molt or molt right after.

Like what @basin79 said, I would definitely go for pre killed prey.

Three months fasting from the sling is pretty unusual I would say.

Yeah I've been somewhat worried that she wasn't eating, but she doesn't look unhealthy at all. I killed a small cricket and left it by her water dish since I know she goes there pretty much daily.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Fasting is generally defined as not eating as regular. However, it’s the opposite with my versi sling, it regularly does not eat and I am worried when it does because it is so out of the ordinary.

cold blood

Staff member
A versi sling not eating for 3 months...well a versi sling should have been able to run its entire molt cycle within that time period.

Post pics of the enclosure....not eating is the first issue we typically see with under ventilated and/or overly dampened enclosures.

Has it eaten anything since last molt?

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
A versi sling not eating for 3 months...well a versi sling should have been able to run its entire molt cycle within that time period.

Post pics of the enclosure....not eating is the first issue we typically see with under ventilated and/or overly dampened enclosures.

It has not eaten since its last molt. Here are pictures of the enclosure. Obviously the enclosure is wayyy too big for it, but I didn't think having a big enclosure would be too much of a problem. It doesn't have any cross ventilation which could also be an issue I guess.

Here are some pictures of the tarantula itself.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, thats a death trap....not eating is the first step in a slow decline. Eventually it will be spending more and more time on the ground...then it will curl and die of what will be apparent dehydration...but it wont be dehydrated.

New enclosure time.

Also smaller enclosures keep predator-prey contact higher, making it far easier to hunt successfully.

IMO a sling should be in a 32 or even a 16oz deli cup (and from a sling standpoint, thats over sized).

The best way to raise ts is to keep things simple....simple for you and the t.

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
yeah, thats a death trap....not eating is the first step in a slow decline. Eventually it will be spending more and mpre time on the ground...then it will curl and die of what will be apparent dehydration...but it wont be dehydrated.

New enclosure time.

Also smaller enclosures keep predator-pret contact higher, making it far easier to hunt successfully.

IMO a sling should be in a 32 oz deli cup (and from a sling standpoint, thats iver sized).

The best way to raise ts is to keep things simple....simple for you and the t.

Can I ask why having a large enclosure is not a good idea? What about large enclosures is bad?

cold blood

Staff member
Can I ask why having a large enclosure is not a good idea? What about large enclosures is bad?
Lots of reasons.

Aside from all the wasted space, as i explained, it decreases the predator-prey contact, in something like that, any prey item can hide indefinitely....making it really hard to hunt. Like i said, make things easy for you and the t.

Last edited:

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
Lots of reasons.

Aside from all the wasted space, as i explained, it decreases the predator-prey contact, in something like thst, any prey item can hide indefinitely....making it really hard to hunt. Like i said, make things easy for you and the t.

Alright that makes sense. I'm going to the store to get something smaller and moving her tonight.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
A large enclosure isn't necessarily deadly if otherwise properly set up. However, it is a lot harder to monitor your sling. Your sling may have trouble finding prey or may spend a lot of time hiding, so it may not grow out of the delicate sling stage as quickly.

A 32-ounce deli cup is perfect for a Caribena or Avicularia sling. Here is how mine is set up. (This is before the sling moved in and webbed it up.)

Features you want for for Caribena or Avicularia:
  • lots of ventilation holes on the sides and top (but no hole should be bigger than the sling's carapace, or it can squeeze out)
  • a water dish
  • otherwise dry (do not soak the substrate or mist, but you can drip a little water onto the web if the sling is not finding its water dish)
  • little to no clutter on the ground (healthy versis don't go down there much anyway, so ground clutter just provides cover for feeders)
  • a slab of cork (for a hunting perch)
  • lots of leafy clutter in the top half (for use as anchor points and cover for your sling)

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
A large enclosure isn't necessarily deadly if otherwise properly set up. However, it is a lot harder to monitor your sling. Your sling may have trouble finding prey or may spend a lot of time hiding, so it may not grow out of the delicate sling stage as quickly.

A 32-ounce deli cup is perfect for a Caribena or Avicularia sling. Here is how mine is set up. (This is before the sling moved in and webbed it up.)

Features you want for for Caribena or Avicularia:
  • lots of ventilation holes on the sides and top (but no hole should be bigger than the sling's carapace, or it can squeeze out)
  • a water dish
  • otherwise dry (do not soak the substrate or mist, but you can drip a little water onto the web if the sling is not finding its water dish)
  • little to no clutter on the ground (healthy versis don't go down there much anyway, so ground clutter just provides cover for feeders)
  • a slab of cork (for a hunting perch)
  • lots of leafy clutter in the top half (for use as anchor points and cover for your sling)

Alright this is what I have.

Attachments