1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C. versicolor habitat check

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by floraborabora, Jan 11, 2018.

1. floraborabora

floraborabora Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I just got my 1" C. versicolor sling today from Jamie's Tarantulas. I did a lot of reading up on here (Nemesis is my first T) and bought an AMEC container and drilled a ton of holes in it. I just wanted to do a check and see if the habitat seems suitable. The pictures are terrible, but hopefully you get the idea.

I also bought an arboreal hab from JT's that I figure I'll set up as a second home in case this one is not a suitable home.

Thank you! I'm excited about my new friend. :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnodemon Active Member

Looks pretty good, enjoy, I have three of this species, they're great fun to raise.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester Arachnosupporter

Ventilation looks pretty reasonable to me. I think I have a few extra vent holes in my Versi habitat, but they are pretty close.

Attached Files:

4. floraborabora

Thank you both! Nightshady, I actually used your post as a bit of a reference so I appreciate that (my hole drilling skills aren't nearly as quality though). I added some holes at the top of the enclosure as well, but at the corners, so hopefully it won't be an issue when it starts webbing up the place.

I have wanted a tarantula since I was a kid so this is very exciting for me!

• Love Love x 3
  5. Nightshady

Oh cool! Glad my post helped someone. My Versi has created a pretty elaborate web lair at the top of my habitat. I will see if I can get a decent pic.

I like the Versi a lot. It creates some elaborate webbing which is cool, and it’s always visible which is neat. My only complaint whatsoever is that it does tend to just sit in one place a lot, and it’s feeding response is lackluster compared to my other T’s (GBB and geniculata). Still, pretty amazing T and I bet you will really like it. Cheers!

• Like Like x 3
  6. floraborabora

I admit one of the reasons I chose this species was because it's so pretty. But I was also intrigued by it being an arboreal species. I'm hoping if this goes well (I know avic slings can be a bit more difficult to raise to maturity) I'll branch out and try some different species of Ts.

Love to see the pic of its webbing! When you feed yours, do you drop the food straight onto its web or do you just drop it on the sub?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

• Like Like x 5
  8. Nightshady

I wouldn't worry too much about the reputation of them being hard to raise. Seems that most people who have deaths of Avic or Versi slings are due to vastly over humidifying the habitat. You got plenty of ventilation; just overflow the water dish when it's dry so that the substrate underneath gets a modest soaking and you should be fine.

As for feeding, in my limited experience of one Versi, I find that they don't have an insane feeding response. My GBB and Genic will literally eat anytime I offer food unless they are in pre-molt or right after molt. My Versi eats enough that I'm not worried it's starving, but not too much more than that. As for how I feed, well I don't have top access to my habitat (I wish I did and will make sure I do when I rehouse as it grows), so I just dump a cricket in the bottom and thankfully they are dumb enough to wander up the wall right to the Versi's lair.

When you decide to get another T, definitely check out the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (GreenBottle Blue or GBB). They are every bit as colorful as the Versi, they are semi-arboreal, always out in the open, make crazy webbing, and feeding response is insanely good.

I will see if I can snap a decent pic of my Versi's web lair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nightshady

Versi webbing...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Grym Reaper

You're comparing to two species that are known for having an over the top feeding response, if you want to see a truly insane feeding response then get a Phormictopus, they hit like the Hulk in world breaker mode.

They're happy either way, you can drop it in their webbing for convenience but they will happily come out to hunt and snatch prey up off of the enclosure floor.

Yours must be broken, all three of mine have excellent feeding responses and never turn down meals unless in pre-moult.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Nightshady

Yeah, I know that GBB and geniculatas have awesome feeding responses, and it's not really fair to compare these to other T's. As for my Versi, perhaps it is a bit of an outlier. Mine has made a quite elaborate web at the top of its habitat, and I have NEVER, not once, seen it leave this webbing in the three months I've had it. It seems happy and healthy, but it has zero interest in leaving its lair. When it does feed, its only when the cricket literally goes right up to the edge of the webbing and then and only then will it venture out and snatch the cricket, only to bring it back inside its home. I'm not too concerned about it though. I had heard a few times that Versi's were not great feeders (so TBH I'm a bit surprised that you say yours is), so I just figured mine was kind of on par for the species.

12. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Really? Mine doesn’t seem to be bothered by anything other than on it’s webbing.

13. floraborabora

• Like Like x 1
  14. floraborabora

Actually I almost went for a GBB first since they also are a pretty, seemingly low maintenance T.

Currently my little one is very active, spends most of the time just circling the enclosure, but no webbing yet. I figure I'll try feeding it tomorrow.

15. The Grym Reaper

Both my subadults will happily go to ground level to pounce on roaches, slings are a bit lazier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. floraborabora

I feel like such a nerd but I checked on the critter at lunch and it had already spun a little web at the top of the enclosure. It's pretty exciting!

• Like Like x 1
  17. spidertherapy78

spidertherapy78 Arachnoknight Active Member

I AGREE. My Phormictopus is a little punker. I can't wait for it to be full grown!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. spidertherapy78

spidertherapy78 Arachnoknight Active Member

Your enclosure looks great! Enjoy the T and welcome to the hobby!

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Grym Reaper

Mine's only a juvie but he hits like Goldberg

20. floraborabora

Why thank you! I love watching the little guy wander around... wish he'd web it up a little more but I suppose that takes time.

Already thinking about my next acquisition... :angelic: