C. Versicolor Advice and Questions?

enperrial

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! I'm new here and have not actually had a tarantula before. I'm interested in purchasing my first one and have for the most part decided on c. versicolor, but am trying to do a fair bit of research before actually making the purchase. I'd rather not have anything suffer at my hands because I didn't take the time to learn how to properly care for it, so here I am!

I've done a little digging through AB on proper care and enclosures (+ other threads unlinked) but still had some questions.

1. What's the general growth rate for versi? How long to expect before they're mature?
2. Proper places for keeping an enclosure?
3. Does the material of fake plants matter?
4. What to expect buying online?

Plus any tips or advice, greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
1. I view them as medium-fast growers, but that is just me
2. A shelf in a dark room that gets little traffic
3. Silk plants are the usual
4. Depends, most times it is a great experience provided you are buying from a reliable source.

Cross ventilation (plenty of it)
Dry substrate
Cross ventilation (plenty of it)
Dry substrate

Did I forget to mention cross ventilation and dry substrate.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
1. i'd say medium.

2. Spiders go in the spider room of course!

3. I use the really cheap plants from walmart. i think they are just plastic and maybe nylon. Not sure, but i have had no issues with them.

4. If you go through a good source, you should expect very understandable, timely replies to any communication, tracking information as soon as it is shipped, and a living, healthy spider of the correct species in a day or two.

enperrial

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I've read quite a bit on the importance of ventilation & NOT misting and how poor ventilation combined with too much moisture ends up killing them... Are holes needed on all sides of the enclosure or are two sides fine for cross vent?
For the plants & other terrarium clutter, what's the best way to clean them before use in an enclosure? I know it's best to keep clutter at the top of the enclosure, should plants be kept off the ground entirely?
I've been told fearnottarantulas is reputable by a friend, and they have a c. versicolor package I was looking into.

Sorry for all the questions.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i usually just wash things with water. No need to get fancy.

I haven't dealt with Fear not but they do have a very good reputation.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've read quite a bit on the importance of ventilation & NOT misting and how poor ventilation combined with too much moisture ends up killing them... Are holes needed on all sides of the enclosure or are two sides fine for cross vent?
I would err on the side of more holes and put them on all sides. Just make sure no hole is large enough for the sling to escape. (If its carapace fits, it can squeeze through.)

For the plants & other terrarium clutter, what's the best way to clean them before use in an enclosure? I know it's best to keep clutter at the top of the enclosure, should plants be kept off the ground entirely?
I use warm water mixed with a little dish soap, followed by thorough rinsing in warm water.

I avoid clutter on the ground in Avic (or Caribena) enclosures. These spiders rarely go down to the ground, so the clutter just provides cover for feeder insects.

They appreciate a cork slab (for a hunting perch) and lots of leafy clutter in the top half. The leaves can be silk or plastic. (Plastic is easier to clean.)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
1. What's the general growth rate for versi? How long to expect before they're mature?
Decent growth rate, I got my male as a 2cm sling about 2 and a half years ago and I think he'll mature with his next moult, my female was purchased at 5cm around a month later and her last moult measured 4.5 inches.

Away from direct sunlight/drafts and out of the reach of other pets/kids if you have any.

Not really, I use silk/plastic plants and I've had no issues

If you buy from a reputable source then you shouldn't have any issues

Are holes needed on all sides of the enclosure or are two sides fine for cross vent?
I usually go with holes in at least 2 sides (usually 2 sides and the back) and just a few holes in the top/lid.

should plants be kept off the ground entirely?
Yeah, ground clutter just provides hiding places for feeders.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
I avoid clutter on the ground in Avic (or Caribena) enclosures. These spiders rarely go down to the ground, so the clutter just provides cover for feeder insects.
This. Do yourself a favour and don't go overboard with decor! I have a bunch of slings with beautiful enclosures (in my opinion) which I spent ages planning out and putting nice fake plants and moss only to realise that all decor ends up uprooted/dragged around and creates lovely hiding spots for feeders... Not saying don't put in any decoration, just be careful how much you put in.

enperrial

Arachnopeon
Thank you all so much!! This forum has been incredibly helpful and insightful.
For regular care & maintenance, how often does substrate need to be changed?
What are the best options for feeders? (Looking to avoid crickets, I used to keep them for my geckos and the stench + how quickly they die made it something I'd like to never do again)

Sorry again for so many questions, I just would like to make sure I've got all my bases covered. Do people post photos of their enclosures here for feedback? When I do decide to actually make the purchase I'd love feedback on enclosures.

chris0220

Arachnopeon
B. Lateralis nymphs and cut up super worms work well for slings if crickets are off the table. I tried to post a pic of one of my Versi enclosures. Hopefully you can see it.

I also now realize that you were asking if You could get feedback on YOUR enclosure. I thought you were asking for examples :D

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
For regular care & maintenance, how often does substrate need to be changed?
There is no need to do substrate changes, spot cleaning will suffice, pick out boluses as you find them and change the water whenever it gets soiled.

What are the best options for feeders? (Looking to avoid crickets, I used to keep them for my geckos and the stench + how quickly they die made it something I'd like to never do again)
Red runners, mealworms, dubia roaches, wax worms, morio worms.

Do people post photos of their enclosures here for feedback? When I do decide to actually make the purchase I'd love feedback on enclosures.
Yes, we actually encourage people to do this BEFORE housing the tarantula so that any necessary changes can be made in time for when you receive your tarantula.

enperrial

Arachnopeon
Awesome! I'll definitely make sure to double check here for my enclosures beforehand. As far as places for keeping the enclosure(s), the best option I have would be somewhere in my room currently. It's the most temperature controlled room in the house, only traffic is me going to sleep as I spend most of my time in the study, and our other pet (a small dog) has never been allowed in. Currently trying to decide whether I should make use of the empty shelves in my closet, or if I should clean out my linen cabinet for spider storage instead. (would have to add felt feet onto the cabinet doors so they close softer, would be worried about the noise) I feel like I'm putting too much thought into this and being a bit too paranoid...........

The linen cabinet is not inside of a bathroom, it is still inside of my bedroom.

Would Jamie's sling enclosure be recommended? (would solder more holes in for vent myself)

Also, pictures of other's enclosures are still great! I love examples! :)

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1. Growth rate varies on so many factors, no one can tell you. Also, slow and medium w/out a comparison to another species are absolutely useless because they are subjective terms.

2. Not sure what you mean... some place safe so the container doesn't fall.

3. Silk often has dyes, not a good idea. Get plastic, also easier to clean too

4. Depends on who you buy from

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Any feeder insect they will reliably eat. (Some Avics and Caribena can be picky eaters. I have two Avic slings that prefer diced mealworms, which is odd.)

Do people post photos of their enclosures here for feedback? When I do decide to actually make the purchase I'd love feedback on enclosures.
As @The Grym Reaper said, we recommend asking for enclosure feedback before getting the tarantula if possible.

As far as places for keeping the enclosure(s), the best option I have would be somewhere in my room currently. It's the most temperature controlled room in the house, only traffic is me going to sleep as I spend most of my time in the study, and our other pet (a small dog) has never been allowed in. Currently trying to decide whether I should make use of the empty shelves in my closet, or if I should clean out my linen cabinet for spider storage instead. (would have to add felt feet onto the cabinet doors so they close softer, would be worried about the noise) I feel like I'm putting too much thought into this and being a bit too paranoid...........

The linen cabinet is not inside of a bathroom, it is still inside of my bedroom.
Any of those places or shelves would be fine.

Would Jamie's sling enclosure be recommended? (would solder more holes in for vent myself)
I have not used those, so I can't speak to them.

Also, pictures of other's enclosures are still great! I love examples! :)
My mature female Avicularia avicularia lives in a treehouse. (This is a somewhat unconventional setup, but it has worked well for me.)

My two Avicularia avicularia slings live in enclosures made from 16-oz deli cups (they have since webbed them up quite a bit). There is a water dish on the ground, but I've never seen them go down there to drink, so I drip water onto their webbing, making a little pool.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I think I would personally add a little more plant variety items toward the top. The more spots that your little one had to anchor web the happier it will be. I tend to use plants with lots of smaller leaves in a bushel. Good eye to ventilation. The coco will dry but it’s going to take a bit in my experience. The darn stuff retains water forever when I need it dry and it’s dust when I need wet.

cold blood

Staff member
Red runners are good, but in general, for Avic types, crickets are generally the most well received prey item overall. I've bred many avics, and I find that prekill prey, like ungoliant has luck with, are really only eaten about 20% of the time...so I rarely feed worms to them any more, but its always worth a try, because if they will, it makes things really easy.

Only if you add ventilation. But they are more than you need to spend on enclosures. IMO a 16 or 32 oz deli cup is a superior vessel for raising them.

Hi everyone! I've got my two enclosures set up and would like them double checked for suitability before anything goes into them. (Coco fibre was just rehydrated last night so it's still very moist)
I agree with sana, a little more clutter up top, but looks really nice.

enperrial

Arachnopeon
I think I would personally add a little more plant variety items toward the top. The more spots that your little one had to anchor web the happier it will be. I tend to use plants with lots of smaller leaves in a bushel. Good eye to ventilation. The coco will dry but it’s going to take a bit in my experience. The darn stuff retains water forever when I need it dry and it’s dust when I need wet.
I agree with sana, a little more clutter up top, but looks really nice.
Thanks for the suggestion, have added a little bit more leaf clutter at the top. Thanks so much to everyone for the advice and help!

Attachments