C. Sculpturatus cannibalism?

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
So I've kept them pretty well fed, but I noticed one out of the three is no longer there. I don't think one climbed out but looking at the tank if one of them used its tail just right it might have been able to escape.. but I did use a black light throughout my house and didn't find anything. I have beetles in there now so I'm thinking one got ate and the beetles finished off the remains. What are the chances of cannibalism? I haven't even had them a week so I feel terrible. I will continue to search with a black light, but if it escaped I'm pretty sure my cat already ate it :(

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Picture of the enclosure?
IMG_4163.JPG IMG_4160.JPG
The tall branch closest is where it may have been able to get a leg up and out when I did matainence, I was good about keeping an eye on all of them but can't help but worry of course.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Hmmm well cannibalism is a possibility but unlikely if we're all kept well fed. Are you sure it's not just hidden somewhere really well

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Hmmm well cannibalism is a possibility but unlikely if we're all kept well fed. Are you sure it's not just hidden somewhere really well
I'm pretty sure it is not in there, I moved everything around in the tank. Tonight when I get home I will move all of them to a serperate container and take everything out to make sure. I'll continue to search with a black light as well, I may try to set up a heat lamp and place a shoe under it so if it did escape and is still alive maybe it will go into the shoe. I feel so terrible as this is my first "hot" scorpion. I'll saw off part of the tall bark to give me peace of mind in the future. Lesson learned the hard way I guess :(

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
It would be very hard for it to make it passed the mesh lid even if it did make it to the top. Check in the substrate and see if any remains are noticeable. Tail. Or legs

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've kept a colony for quite some time with no cannibalism ever occurring. I understand your dismay worrying about a highly venomous scorpion loose. Check the substrate with a black light because if one was eaten there should be remnants.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
definitly not something you want loose in your house. ive had a C.gracillis go missing, and im pretty sure the female ate him, before, during, or after mating, so if you have a male missing that could be a possibility.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
I've kept a colony for quite some time with no cannibalism ever occurring. I understand your dismay worrying about a highly venomous scorpion loose. Check the substrate with a black light because if one was eaten there should be remnants.
Wouldn't one of the blue death feigning beetles have ate the remains by now? Last time I did maintainence was last Wednesday.. they were all there at that time. Also, as far as it escaping the mesh lid, that isn't likely, but me taking off the lid for cleaning would let it possibly escape.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
definitly not something you want loose in your house. ive had a C.gracillis go missing, and im pretty sure the female ate him, before, during, or after mating, so if you have a male missing that could be a possibility.
I was thinking the same thing about them mating and then eating the male. Since there are no remains (probably because of my cleanup crew) I can't totally rule out an escape. And I hadn't even gotten the chance to sex two of the three, so no way of knowing if the Scorp was a male.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I was thinking the same thing about them mating and then eating the male. Since there are no remains (probably because of my cleanup crew) I can't totally rule out an escape. And I hadn't even gotten the chance to sex two of the three, so no way of knowing if the Scorp was a male.
well best of luck! i really hope its not running around your house lol! and i guess youll find out if you have a gravid scorpion in a few months!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
The claws always seem to go uneaten. Check with a black light is my advice. At least it's not a DeathStalker running loose. Don't think I'd be able to sleep at night.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Scorpion was found!! I took everything out and still didn't see it or any remains, giving up, I was going to put everything back in when I spotted it with my black light. Arachnodrew was correct, perfect hiding spot, this crevice was facing the ground in the enclosure.. I think it has been hiding out here for almost a week.
IMG_4207.JPG IMG_4212.JPG
On a side note, its right claw appears damaged on the top. But I believe it was like that when I got it, if it has another molt could that be fixed?

Thank you everyone for replying! I'm so very happy this wasn't due to my carelessness. Also happy I can once again walk around my house barefooted. :) Lol

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Glad it was found. Logs and wood have all sorts of hiding spots.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Haha nice! I had a C gracilis do that to me once. Glad you found it alive and well. If you don't like it under there just dig the branch deeper in the substrate and pack it down around it.

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Try owning a colony of 50 C Gracilis and also keeping track of them... I never could.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Glad to hear that you found it! i know from personal experience that the moment you think it might be lost, can be a total freak-out moment.

but from personal experience i can tell you, 99% of the time, they are usually hiding! you will be surprised at some of the places that you will find them in, especially if you end up getting more of them!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@ScorpSarah I too did not think it actually escaped because I know you did your research here and set it up well in the Enclosure. I helped you with some of the setting up myself ;)

It is amazing what kinds of spaces they can squeeze into. It is also another reason why people who keep these spp. tend to have lots of them. A tank full of 15 - 20 is not unheard of. That way there are always at least a few out and about at any given time.

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
With a lot of scorpions, cannablism is pretty common ESPECIALLY when you have much smaller specimens in the same tank. No matter the size of the tank or how well fed they are. I've seen a sling eat an old left over mealworm that mustve been in the sand. I quickly threw in a small dubia, ate it right away. Over the years Ive seen many odd behaviours from all kinda of scorpions. Usually by mistake.

Anyone have some c sculps for sale?

Also another reason when I keep these species is to just keep one main cork bark and a few smaller ones. So much easier to keep a track of. Just lift up the bark and theyre all usually there. In my area theyre extremely prone to mycosis unfortunately since I don't have central AC.

Last edited: