1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C. Sculpturatis tank setup advice

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by ScorpSarah, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ScorpSarah

ScorpSarah Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Just set it up. It will have a locked lid and infrared heat lamp as well. Wondering if I should add more rocks? I only have about an inch or two of substrate which is 50/50 sand/coco fiber. Any suggestions?

2. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoangel Active Member

They don't need deep substrate they will spend they're time on the wood or bark hides. Having a climbing surface on both the hot and cool side would be a better addition

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stugy

Stugy Arachnolord Active Member

It's always nice to have more hiding spots for such scorpions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. darkness975

darkness975 A Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

That's a good start, but I would add a couple of more pieces of vertically-oriented bark for them to climb and hide in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ScorpSarah

ScorpSarah Arachnopeon

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go get more bark tomorrow and post updated pics :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoangel Active Member

You don't need the water dish. Don't know they would ever use it.Occasional misting is fine. More vertical surface. Shallow sand substrate is what I use. Majority of the time they will be climbing or vertical. Make sure it is absolute escape proof.

7. darkness975

A water dish wouldn't hurt. Even if they don't use it I always feel better having one there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I noticed you are using a zoomed thermometer/humidity gauge, have you ever had any issues with it? I recent bought two, and the Temps read the same, but the humidity is different by 8-10 degrees. Is it just a cheap brand?

9. ArachnoDrew

They're known for not being greatly accurate. Used more for a "range " in temps

10. TheScorpionMan

TheScorpionMan Arachnoknight

Texas
    Yeah they aren't very useful. In fact i'd say they're a waste of money because you don't need them but if you have it why not

11. ScorpSarah

ScorpSarah Arachnopeon

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Okay, so the scorpion just came in today. I already put it in the tank and didn't even think to take pics so I hope it comes out tonight... It's hiding somewhere right now, but here is the tank setup. The lid is very secure so no chance of it climbing out.

12. Posted in the wrong thread, deleted my Irrelevant info.

13. darkness975

Only one? I would opt for several since they have a good reputation of living together and with having a bunch of them in there you're always guaranteed to see at least a couple of them out and about.

14. darkness975

C. sculpturatus is an arboreal species that needs vertical bark and such to climb and hide in.

15. ArachnoDrew

This is a perfect setup for a communal project

16. ScorpSarah

ScorpSarah Arachnopeon

Was not aware they did well in groups, I would be concerned about cannibalism. I may get a couple more in that case. It is a 5 gallon so what would be an appropriate amount of scorps to keep to avoid them cannibalizing?

17. ArachnoDrew

Cannibalizing will depend on how well you kept them fed and usually happens in between molts. Best odds are to have a bunch of adults and keep them well fed!

18. ScorpSarah

ScorpSarah Arachnopeon

Okay, I just bought two more, won't get them until next week though. I'm hoping they are all fully adult and won't have to deal with separating them for molts :) Is there a way for me to tell if they are fully grown?

19. ArachnoDrew

Did the place you ordered them from say what instar they are?

20. ScorpSarah

ScorpSarah Arachnopeon

image.jpeg
    They did not say, I'll email and ask. Here is a low quality picture, the best I could get right now. I'm beginning to think its not full grown, including the tail only about 2 inches.

Attached Files: