C. schmidti Question

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I received one of these slings as a freebie with my last order, and I would very much appreciate some guidelines on how to care for it. I have not cared for an OW before, and I probably would have waited a while before deciding to purchase one, but I am weak, and I was brain-dead from driving, and I just don't know how to say no to a free T :banghead:

I've been doing some digging with the search function but I am having a hard time finding much that is useful to me. That being said, I need some help.

First of all, Haplopelma or Cyriopagopus? Taxonomy gives me a headache. I searched both of them, and read a bunch, but I have no idea how much of what I read actually applies to the spider in my possession.

I received a jar of dirt with a hole in it, and I can partially see a booty with some very yellow hair. I don't know what size the spider is, but the seller said it would be fine in it's current enclosure for a couple more molts. (There was an exuvia at the mouth of the burrow, I will measure it when I get home from work) It's currently in a plastic vial (I want to say 15 dram but I may be wrong. Pictures will be posted when I get home)

Moisture: The sub was very dry when I got home from picking up the T's. This worried me because it had no access to water. I dripped some water into the sub on the side of the enclosure, but I was conservative with the amount because I don't know anything about this species and didn't want to put it in the wrong type of environment. I figure it will do okay being dry until I get some feedback and get back home from work. I also left a (prekilled) superworm at the mouth of the burrow last night, and it was gone this morning, so it did get some moisture that way.
So... how damp should the sub be?

Fossorial/Terrestrial/Arboreal: This is a pet hole, correct?

Temperature: I read that these may prefer it cooler than other T's. My T's are currently sitting on a shelving unit in my room, and they stay between 70 and 80f (I have a thermometer sitting on the shelf with them to monitor temp, I do not use a supplemental heat source). I'm not concerned about the current temperature, I'm sure it's fine. But I will be moving soon, and depending on the availability of space I would like to keep my T's in their own room or closet so that I can heat the space a bit more than the rest of the house.
What temps do these thrive at?

Anything else I should know? I'm sure I'll have more questions that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You are right to keep sub moist.

Asian fossorial species that requires deep moist sub to burrow and thrive.

A truly beautiful Earth Tiger. One of my favourites. I wouldnt have turned it down either.

These can be kept 21-28c

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You are tight to keep sub moist.

Asian fossorial species that requires deep moist sub to burrow and thrive.

A truely beautiful Earth Tiger. One of my favourites. I wouldnt have turned it down either.

These can be kept 21-28c
I was going to say "normal temps and standard pet hole husbandry (I.e. deep/moist sub)" but I wasn't 100% sure as I don't keep the species lol.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Thanks guys!

Is that enough ventilation for the amount of moisture I will need to maintain?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron

Decided to rehouse into something with some more ventilation and room to dig/grow, as well as room for a water dish. I was nervous, but I figured it would be easier to rehouse now than to wait for a couple molts. Little dude (my boyfriend named it Pennywise :rofl:) should be good in here for a while.

What a pretty little spider. Love that tiger butt.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Another small question that has come up, and I feel a little silly for asking, but whatever.

It has burrowed down alongside a couple ventilation holes, down near the bottom where it's widening out a chamber. Should I seal these up to maintain the humidity in the burrow, or leave it and be happy it's less likely to get moldy in there?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Should be fine. Just make sure doesnt dry out too much and you should be golden