C. paganus or H. minax ????

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I bought a T that I was told was an Asian Chevron. A book I have and most web sites I'm seen have the Asian Chevron listed as Cyriopagopus paganus. I've also seen the Asian Chevron refered to as Haplopelma Minax. (which I don't think is right.) on a website. Is the C. paganus the Asian Chevron and the H. minax the Thia Black or am I all mest up? :confused: :wall: :?

P.M. me and I can give the website I found the possible error on.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Possitive ID paganus have supposedly never been in the hobby. You probably have H. minax.

Heck, they might even be the same species. Or atleast a Haplopelma.
Common names will get you no where in ID. Is it WC?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
How did you get it.

C. paganus and H. minax look too much alike to make quick assumptions.
As I said, they could in fact be the same species.

It could even be H. vonwirthi, have you looked at pics of them?

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I ran across it at my local pet store where I get my food and supplies. This is not where I normally get my T's but every blue moon he'll get something odd. He said (by word of his supplier) it was a H. longipes but it's just way too dark to be that so I knew that was not right. I got it for 25 dollars and started this investigation. They are very similar and your right. It might be one and the same. How can I make sure?

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi this appears to be a picture of what is known in the hobby as H. vonwirthi, or Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam". A species very closely related to H. minax by the way.

Cyriopagopus paganus has not been in the hobby - ever - noone has a picture of a live specimen - ever - the type has only been examined by a few persons and is apparently lost, with a very vague description that cannot be used for identification purposes. So I am quite surprised that dealers are using this name for any spider - since how can they know without comparing with the description? (which in this case is useless) or the type? (at present unavailable). Which also leaves me a bit surprised with statements about the appearance of C. paganus versus this and that species?!

Regards
Søren

This link will take you to EXACTLY what this T I have looks like. Is this a rare find or am I still messed up?

http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/cyriopagopus-paganus-id190.html

If this link is what it says it is and it's named correctly then I have a C. paganus.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah iding haplopelmas from pictures isnt exactly easy so the only way your gonna figure out exactly what u have is to eithor send off a shed skin or the spider itself in alcohol to an expert.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for all the info everyone. :clap: It seems this has been an issue for some time. After further investigation I've decided to go with H. sp. "vietnam" based on things I've read and pictures I've seen includeing this thread.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=7042

I might be wrong but it's the best I can come up with untill I can send off an exuvium to be examined.

Again, Thanks for all the help and for putting me on the right track. :worship: I learned a lot and I love knowledge.