C. Marshalli webbing up entrance.

BryanL

Arachnopeon
Hey all, quick question.
I don't have lots of experience with the Ceratogyrus species and their behaviors but I know quite a bit about them by doing research. My sling has 2 burrows which it uses to exit and enter the inside, one big one that it goes into and a smaller one to come out. I started noticing it around today that it is beginning to web up the "Main" entrance into it's burrow but not the exit, and that it has dug its burrow underground a lot deeper, I can see through the window it has made. I figured this to be pre-molt since I've heard of lots of burrowing species doing this before they molt, but I don't notice any visible differences in the way that it looks at all. With other slings I have noticed darker colorations and an abdomen becoming enlargened, but as I said I don't really know too much about the Ceratogyrus species molting and how they specifically look right before one.. so that is where I need help. Is this a sign of pre-molt for the Ceratogyrus Marshalli or is it simply just webbing off its entrance?

Thanks,

-Bryan.

BryanL

Arachnopeon
If its plump, most likely pre molt.
First picture is about a day after I got it. Second picture is it sitting at the exit of the burrow, a couple days after.
Third picture is of slight webbing going across the entrance, has not used the entrance today to my knowledge. Only has been from the exit and in.

Attachments

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I’m not sure about Ceratogyrus sp, but I know my E. murinus does this thing where she’ll web her burrow entrance shut each and every morning. At night, she’ll tear it down and chill halfway out of the burrow. Then in the morning, she’ll web it up all over again. Maybe your sling is doing something similar? Or maybe it’s as simple as wanting privacy for a while, like @Nightstalker47 said.

BryanL

Arachnopeon
Probably just wants some privacy. ;) Looks to thin to be nearing a molt.
I’m not sure about Ceratogyrus sp, but I know my E. murinus does this thing where she’ll web her burrow entrance shut each and every morning. At night, she’ll tear it down and chill halfway out of the burrow. Then in the morning, she’ll web it up all over again. Maybe your sling is doing something similar? Or maybe it’s as simple as wanting privacy for a while, like @Nightstalker47 said.
Ahh alright, thanks a lot and I will be sure to keep updated on how it is doing!
Very much appreciated,

Thanks,
-Bryan

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I agree with @spookyvibes i once had a C. Longipes that would only hunt at night, during the day she would web the entire burrow entrance.

Also something neat about Ceratogyrus species, they have a habbit of sometimes ditching their burrow. My female did this for a few months once, she spent all her time on the surface and had webbed up the corner where she would sit. Sometimes they return to the burrow and sometimes they spend the rest of their life at the surface. Most Ceratogyrus are actually really tollerent of standard terrestrial setups because they don't always burrow, so when it gets bigger and if you want to see it more you could try a standard terrestrial setup instead of a fossorial setup.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It could do with a nice piece of mealworm or three...

Be glad it burrows. My Ceratogyrus sling has one, but likes to come out and chase my tongs around when I open his tub. Feisty little devil at around a cm DLS :D

BryanL

Arachnopeon
I agree with @spookyvibes i once had a C. Longipes that would only hunt at night, during the day she would web the entire burrow entrance.

Also something neat about Ceratogyrus species, they have a habbit of sometimes ditching their burrow. My female did this for a few months once, she spent all her time on the surface and had webbed up the corner where she would sit. Sometimes they return to the burrow and sometimes they spend the rest of their life at the surface. Most Ceratogyrus are actually really tollerent of standard terrestrial setups because they don't always burrow, so when it gets bigger and if you want to see it more you could try a standard terrestrial setup instead of a fossorial setup.
Sounds awesome, will definitely give it a try in the future!

Be glad it burrows. My Ceratogyrus sling has one, but likes to come out and chase my tongs around when I open his tub. Feisty little devil at around a cm DLS :D
Haha very nice! Thankfully mine does not do that, for now.. :anxious:
The sling looked very thin whenever it got to me and I've been trying to plump it up a little more every time I feed it. It looks like it is working but pretty slowly so I will definitely try and offer it more when It's feeding day tomorrow! :)

Thanks!!
-Bryan

Last edited:

sasker

Arachnoprince
The sling looked very thin whenever it got to me and I've been trying to plump it up a little more every time I feed it. It looks like it is working but pretty slowly so I will definitely try and offer it more when It's feeding day tomorrow! :)
For a sling this slim, every tomorrow is feeding day! ;) You can feed it everyday until it gained some weight. Don't worry about overfeeding it.

BryanL

Arachnopeon
For a sling this slim, every tomorrow is feeding day! ;) You can feed it everyday until it gained some weight. Don't worry about overfeeding it.
Ah alright! Definitely will be pumping it up these next few days then!! I will keep you updated with it's progress!
Thanks!!! :)
-Bryan

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it seems to be a normal behavior with C. marshalli. They love to eat so I guess the most obvious thing if they are in premolt if they refuses food. :happy:

BryanL

Arachnopeon

Definitely agree with @sasker until they reach about 2.5 inches you don't really have to worry about overfeeding a sling.
Update since last Tuesday:

Pictures 1-2 are of the abdomen about 2 weeks ago

Pictures 3-"Abdomen2" show the abdomen as is now.
Sorry for the quality I should have taken the top off and taken a picture.

I have been feeding it every 1-2 days depending on if it has been out or not this past week and I think there has been some improvement!

Thank you all once again for the help, I really appreciate it!! :happy:

Thanks!
-Bryan

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Update since last Tuesday:

Pictures 1-2 are of the abdomen about 2 weeks ago

Pictures 3-"Abdomen2" show the abdomen as is now.
Sorry for the quality I should have taken the top off and taken a picture.

I have been feeding it every 1-2 days depending on if it has been out or not this past week and I think there has been some improvement!

Thank you all once again for the help, I really appreciate it!! :happy:

Thanks!
-Bryan
Lol, he went from being skinny to being obese :rofl:
Jk, looks good to me :)