C marshalli care?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I was wondering how owners of this T keep it , I also am getting Ceratogyrus darlingi .
I got a female chilobrachys sai yok right now & other OW Ts but I never kept Ceratogyrus before.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Baboon spiders from the savannahs of east and southern Africa need dry substrate and good ventilation. You can lose them in stuffy, moist cages. On the other hand, Hysterocrates are from wet western Africa and require moist soil.

Ceratogyrus are very hardy spiders and grow fast. Well-behaved by African standards. Care is the same for all of the subfamily as far as I know (Harpactirinae).

Asian terrestrials like moist (not soggy) substrate.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My C. darlingi is by far the easiest spider I have to take care of. Provide a water dish, plenty of room to burrow, and you're good. I keep mine in one of those large tea jugs you see at picnics, got it at Wal-Mart for $10. This is also my most docile species, aside from the B. emilia. I wouldn't handle it, but it's not skittish or defensive in the least. I highly recommend this species. They're darling! (see what I did there?)

I will say that I have a Chilobrachys andersoni, and the care for that is nothing like the C. darlingi.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Get an enclosure with deep substrate and keep it dry.
How deep for a female? IS 5"-6" too shallow I can make sub 7-9" deep or more. They can put extra outside of tunnel burrow right :)? Which percentage of cage space should be top soil?

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I keep my juvenile Ceratogyrus to where they can dig an inch or two, but once they reach adulthood, i keep them terrestrial.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Get an enclosure with deep substrate and keep it dry.
What If they do not burrow?Mine is not, it is living like my chilobrachys above ground. Should I bump up humidity or does this species do fine dry?
I gave it two water bowls, w/bone dry substrate.

---------- Post added 12-06-2014 at 02:49 PM ----------

5-6" works. Mine either are either out in the open (the majority of the time) or under cork slabs.
Should I built her a hide, or let her webb all over to feel safe? She seems to have built a webbed hide. She has bone dry substrate like my G rosea.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What If they do not burrow?Mine is not, it is living like my chilobrachys above ground. Should I bump up humidity or does this species do fine dry?
I gave it two water bowls, w/bone dry substrate.

---------- Post added 12-06-2014 at 02:49 PM ----------

Should I built her a hide, or let her webb all over to feel safe? She seems to have built a webbed hide. She has bone dry substrate like my G rosea.
I give most of my spiders, of any species, a cork slab to hide under, leaned against the side. They dig under it, sometimes making a tunnel. My marshalli and darlingi are usually out in the open, sometimes under the cork. Include a water bowl, dry substrate, and cross ventilation and they're happy. They'll eventually spin all over the substrate. They're easy, hardy, and never run out of their cages.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I give most of my spiders, of any species, a cork slab to hide under, leaned against the side. They dig under it, sometimes making a tunnel. My marshalli and darlingi are usually out in the open, sometimes under the cork. Include a water bowl, dry substrate, and cross ventilation and they're happy. They'll eventually spin all over the substrate. They're easy, hardy, and never run out of their cages.
Know anywere I can get bulk corkbark for Ts? I would need a lot of slabs if I used it for all my Ts. Maybe for affordable prices? I know corkbark is better than bark from outside, Molds way less often or never.

Is mine full grown at 5"? Such a cool spider !!!

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Know anywere I can get bulk corkbark for Ts? I would need a lot of slabs if I used it for all my Ts. Maybe for affordable prices? I know corkbark is better than bark from outside, Molds way less often or never.

Nurseries that sell orchids usually have cork.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My C. Marshalli has 4 inches to burrow in but just built a huge bowl shaped web with a straight tunnel going across it. He's always out too, and only hides when I disturb him. It will probably change when he gets older. Wonderful species, I highly recommend them.

They seriously need dry sub if that wasn't clear.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Yeah, I think Beanfarm is cheap. I always get mine from there.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Man... Stop guys... I said no more... But I'm REAL close to buying one of each of horned baboons.... They sound so coool...

Do the mashalli and darlingi behave similarly disposition wise?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Man... Stop guys... I said no more... But I'm REAL close to buying one of each of horned baboons.... They sound so coool...

Do the mashalli and darlingi behave similarly disposition wise?

Yes, similar in all ways, as were the C brachycephalus I used to have. Also similar is Augacephalus ezendami and some of the Pterinochilus (except murinus).

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yes, similar in all ways, as were the C brachycephalus I used to have. Also similar is Augacephalus ezendami and some of the Pterinochilus (except murinus).
They sound like great Ts... I may have to arrange a trade at some point when some of my multiples of slings grow.

Horned tarantulas! Does it get any cooler?

I need more variety. I have 16... But only 8 species.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well my C marshali Is ready for breeding, So far she is very happy in her new cage. No threat displays once I got her rehoused. Treat this species with respect, like all OW and you will have no issues. My NW Ts are a lot braver, bolder than my OW.

I might wait til she Regens her missing leg though, but she is nice and big only a little smaller than my G rosea, but Grammys are very stocky in general.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How deep for a female? IS 5"-6" too shallow I can make sub 7-9" deep or more. They can put extra outside of tunnel burrow right :)? Which percentage of cage space should be top soil?
I've grown them from babies to adults and kept them for years on about 1" (2.5 cm) of 100% peat. They loved it. As far as care is concerned, these are sort of an African analog of the Aphonopelma species. It's hard to kill them unless you try to pamper them too much. Follow Rick "Poec54" Blauman's suggestions and fret about the stock market and your retirement fund instead. :biggrin: