C. lividum dead after 2 days from buy date.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
I just bought my first C. lividum and noticed it's abdomen was really thin for its size. It was moving for the first day and I was going to rehouse it today and it's been on its front side in a death curl and sadly I'm certain it's dead. Also the enclosure it was in when it was sold was sand for whatever reason. I think the seller didn't take care of his species good at all.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Are you certain it is in death curl and not moulting? A photo really would help people help you. If you bought it from a large dealer, check their DOA policy. I know that our sellers guarantee them a week after delivery if they have been shipped. If it is another hobbyist, then you don't have much recourse except to approach them and let them know that your spider died.
If all that was in the enclosure was sand, then you're correct that they were not taken care of properly.
In both cases, they are going to ask you for a photo as proof.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Also the enclosure it was in when it was sold was sand for whatever reason. I think the seller didn't take care of his species good at all.
Ah, definitely to say the least. Sand? Heck, not even desert scorpions... certain people shouldn't keep T's.

This is how the set up of a C.lividus should be:

C.lividus 1.jpg

I'm sorry for you, anyway post a couple of pics, if you can.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Sorry, I already disposed of it... I'm certain it was dead and not molting. I bought it at a reptile show and the seller only had 3 T's and about 50 lizards. All in sand. I knew it was a bad setup and even though the C. lividum looked unhealthy, I thought I could save it. It was very thin and had a live super worm in the enclosure, but it wouldn't take it. I know a dead T when I see one though to say the least. There was no signs of premolt

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Like I said, the T was thin, had no bald spot on its abdomen, was curled up normal position, plus didn't really move much at all.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Just clarifying I have 12 other species of Tarantulas. I know when they are molting. This is the first T I ever had that was sick. Was hoping to nurse it back, but I know it was dead and not molting.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Never buy a sick animal from a vendor to try and save it. A vendor like that should not be patronized.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Like I said, the T was thin, had no bald spot on its abdomenl.
Ehm... :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Sorry to be blunt but C.lividus is an OW Theraphosid... It doesn't have urticating hairs and therefore no bald space to indicate premolt. If you don't know this, then I doubt you would be able to declare it dead tbh...

Liquifin

Arachnoking
All in sand. I knew it was a bad setup and even though the C. lividum looked unhealthy, I thought I could save it.
There is a boundary for me when I see a T. that can or can't be saved. If it it super thin and very, very weak, then it's almost sad to say that nothing much can be done from saving it. But if it's still active or not a super thin abdomen something is possible. I don't blame you for wanting to save the suffering little thing. But you can't save everyone in the end of the day.

To be very honest, I think it could've personally had a chance to live. But your experience and care wasn't good enough (No offense). Your biggest mistake was not providing water for the poor thing. If it's kept on sand, it's really going to be dehydrated. With a tiny abdomen, in a dry substrate, it's obviously lacking hydration. Not to mention that these guys love it moist. So that was mistake number 1. Number 2 two, if its health was that critical, I wouldn't wait a day for a rehouse, instead I would've done it ASAP. What I would've done is provide water to it ASAP. Then try to work from there.

If I was in your shoes and the condition and health of the T. was that bad, I would've posted it here on the boards earlier and asked for experienced keepers help. I don't know if it could've been saved, but I believe it could've been possible if something was done earlier instead of waiting for it to pass on and then talking about what happened and questioning in general. But poor fella, at least you tried to save it.:(

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Sick/dehydrated/mature male/dying tarantulas tend to show no interest in food either.
I know that all I'm saying was the OP said there was no sign of Premoult, not eating is a sign of premoult so please clarify where you disagree with this?Also someone who is looking for a bald patch on an old world to check For premoult obviously needs to be sure it is actually dead before discounting premoult!

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I know that all I'm saying was the OP said there was no sign of Premoult, not eating is a sign of premoult so please clarify where you disagree with this?
Not eating is a sign for a premolt, is true. But not in this case. If the abdomen was small and if it was that weak, definitely not pre-molt. It's pretty much sick, stress, or weak. That's why I disagreed on your post.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I know that all I'm saying was the OP said there was no sign of Premoult, not eating is a sign of premoult so please clarify where you disagree with this?
You have a thing for declaring premolt, I think. :p
First with a bald patch that does not indicate premolt, and now declaring not eating as a sign of premolt. If I follow your logic, half the spider population is in pre molt if we were to apply these standards. ;)
Not eating plus poor overall health does not mean premolt but bad health.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
You have a thing for declaring premolt, I think. :p
First with a bald patch that does not indicate premolt, and now declaring not eating as a sign of premolt. If I follow your logic, half the spider population is in pre molt if we were to apply these standards. ;)
Not eating plus poor overall health does not mean premolt but bad health.
Where did I say a bald patch meant premoult? all I said was not eating is a sign of premoult. Are use all at the wined up here I said one thing that is true, 2 people disagree then everyone jumps on the band wagon

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Like I said, the T was thin, had no bald spot on its abdomen, was curled up normal position, plus didn't really move much at all.
Hello sir! Sorry for sick tarantula! Do you have a picture onntje spider!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Where did I say a bald patch meant premoult? all I said was not eating is a sign of premoult. Are use all at the wined up here I said one thing that is true, 2 people disagree then everyone jumps on the band wagon
Sorry, my bad, I confused you with someone else on the 'bald part' statement. :bag:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
And that is exactly the problem with reptile vendors buying wild caught specimens for immediate, quick resale at an expo. I have seen countless emaciated, dehydrated Ts offered for 20-40$ by reptile sellers. Then someone like you thinks they can "save" the T... but the seller doesn't care what happens to it. They got their money when you knowingly purchased a sick animal.

But I agree that offering water IMMEDIATELY might have offered this spider a chance at survival. Buying a sick/dying animal with the intention of trying to save it does not mesh well with ignoring it for the first two days...

all I said was not eating is a sign of premoult.
Not eating is one thing on the checklist of pre-molt signs... but not eating is not *exclusive* to pre-molt - for example, a dehydrated tarantula physically cannot eat.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Not eating CAN be a sign of pre-moult but it isn't a definite sign of pre-moult in itself. There are several issues that can prevent a tarantula from eating, for all you know it could've been relatively freshly moulted and had a sucking stomach issue.

I'm also guessing you've never had any surprise moults where the tarantula gives no prior visible indication and eats right up until a moult? Because I've had a few of those, I'm sure other keepers have experienced this as well.