C. hentzi and some scorp newb questions

Swoop

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, I picked up 5 or 6 C. hentzi (or at least I was told that's what they are, ya never know with craigslist/facebook) last week. They're absolutely crawling with mites so I'm planning to rehouse today.

I poked around the forum some but the care sheets and stickies seem to be geared toward different species. From what I've found they need vertical bark for hiding/molting, a shallow water dish and generally more heat/humidity than T's.

Can I use the same substrate (coco fiber) as I use with my tarantulas? If I let them dry out some to kill off the mites will that have any adverse effects on my scorps? Also, what feeders do you guys recommend? I dropped in some dubia nymphs which promptly disappeared (burrowed or eaten I guess) and some mealworms. I did see one munching on a mealworm that was pupating and haven't seen any cannibalization, do they scavenge? As far as water, has anyone tried the water crystals people use for crickets, and how did they work out?

Answers, advice and links to useful species-specific information are appreciated :)

Last edited:

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
Yes, you can use coco fiber. They come from Florida which I'm pretty sure is kinda humid so unless you really want to save the substrate then maybe? Cockroaches all the way. I doubt that these scorpions scavenge. I don't recommend water crystals, I don't know if they work for scorpions but if they do, they're just a waste of money. You have your friend H2O by your side always.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
A very fun communal species. Higher humidity, vertical bark, coco fiber and a little sand mixed in, but no water dish or water crystals. Just mist enclosure liberally once a week. Small crickets or extra small dubias work best. They spend a lot of their time vertical so vertical and slanted bark with little niches and such is perfect for them.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the help. What's the sand for?

Currently I moved them, their bark and some feeder dubias into temporary housing. The substrate they were in originally was practically soaked so I'll let them be dry for a few days, hopefully kill off some more of the mites. Seems like they have fewer than the other day already.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I like to use a sand and coco fiber mix but fine coco fiber works well by itself.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The sand helps with drainage so the cocofiber doesn't stay saturated. I've got a pair of C. hentzi and I just keep them on cocofiber since I ran out of sand. Haven't had any issues with them. They will scavenge to an extent, but I wouldn't leave a dead feeder at the bottom of the enclosure for too long. They like humidity, but as RTTB said, a good weekly misting will make them happy.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
As far as water, has anyone tried the water crystals people use for crickets, and how did they work out?
Those stupid things don't work for Tarantulas, Scorpions, Crickets, or anything else they claim to market them for. I'd love to tell the creators to try "drinking" that crap themselves and see how far they get.

For your case, after the mites are cleaned up and what not, give them a dish of regular water. Just make sure they are able to get out of they derp and fall in (it happens). They don't float like Tarantulas do.
To avoid them getting stuck in their dish, I don't give them that big of one. Most of my Scorpions have water bottle caps and such. They do drink, and smaller dishes mean they have to be refilled more often, but there is no risk of drowning.