c. hainanus or e. murinus?

u bada

Arachnopeon
While waiting for all the slings to get bigger, saw these mature ones at two dif local pet stores.

The e murinus is approx 4" for 50$us and the c hainanus (what's the current name?) is a 5" beast for 100$us... obviously, I should save money and just get the e murinus but I only have one other asian fossorial. Feel like these are darn good prices for mature or near mature of these?

I like that both web and are fossorial, and both similar colors with gold details, and realize both need wetter sub.... guess question is will I see either very much once settled in, or is one more visible than others? any pros cons for either from those that have?

thanks for your expert opinions ;)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Are they females? Are they wild caught? If so for the first question, if not for the second question, then yes, that is an awesome deal. If they are males, then a small price drop ($5-$15) would definitely make it worth it I think. Either way, I think those are some pretty good deals for spiders that size, especially if they are CB.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Whenever someone talks of getting Cyriopagopus hainanus, I always refer them to this bite report (under their old name) - http://arachnoboards.com/threads/haplopelma-hainanum.262988/

This species' venom is no joke, and is probably underrated, imo. I have four of them (a adult female, a sub-adult female and two sub-adult males) and while I've never found them to be overly defensive as do many people, I'm still extra careful around them, even the younger ones.

u bada

Arachnopeon
@Arthroverts , good thought, no idea if CB or WC... knowing both stores, the e murinus is probably CB, but not sure about other store with the c Hainanus, could ask and owner could tell me... but I have to make sure they're both females but both looked oftly female...

@SonsofArachne , ya know I was totally thinking about the venom part, lol, it does cost more and does have the venom thing... hmmm... being you have four, they worth it? out much? especially entertaining in any way?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
@Arthroverts , good thought, no idea if CB or WC... knowing both stores, the e murinus is probably CB, but not sure about other store with the c Hainanus, could ask and owner could tell me... but I have to make sure they're both females but both looked oftly female...

@SonsofArachne , ya know I was totally thinking about the venom part, lol, it does cost more and does have the venom thing... hmmm... being you have four, they worth it? out much? especially entertaining in any way?
I see them fairly often but still would call them pet holes.

u bada

Arachnopeon
@SonsofArachne , well fairly often is pretty good me thinks. Thanks for your feedback. My guess is the e. murinus probably is probably as much a pet hole or worse...

... given limited replies to this, either people don't have these or people just don't care for these species too much on here? hmmmm

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
@SonsofArachne , well fairly often is pretty good me thinks. Thanks for your feedback. My guess is the e. murinus probably is probably as much a pet hole or worse...

... given limited replies to this, either people don't have these or people just don't care for these species too much on here? hmmmm
I don't really see a lot of C. hainanus owners. E. murinus seems a little more popular. I actually have one of those too. Mine is out fairly often an is a aggressive eater.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Personally think EVERYONE should have an E. murinus. I love my girl to bits.

I don't know much about C. hainanus in particular but aesthetically the are quite pretty and I do love my C. albostriatus and lividus. Suppose you can't just nab both Ts? :rofl:

u bada

Arachnopeon
@Arachnophoric was waiting for someone to just say get them both LOL

@SonsofArachne thx again for your input

Well, $ has been a bit tight so looking more like e murinus but haven't had a chance to make it out to the areas of either store, who knows if still there...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@u bada, do you mind me asking where you have seen these tarantulas? I'm not gonna buy them (that'd just be wrong), I am just looking for another quality store where I can get invertebrates.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whenever someone talks of getting Cyriopagopus hainanus, I always refer them to this bite report (under their old name) - http://arachnoboards.com/threads/haplopelma-hainanum.262988/

This species' venom is no joke, and is probably underrated, imo. I have four of them (a adult female, a sub-adult female and two sub-adult males) and while I've never found them to be overly defensive as do many people, I'm still extra careful around them, even the younger ones.
Yeah I’m not particularly proud of this moment during my time in the hobby :banghead:

Think carefully before getting C hainanus because it’s likely WC, after my incident I got slings instead to make sure they were CB, a 5” would likely be WC but you never know.

Too bad you’re not over here because $100 for one is insane, I can get 7-8” AF ones for the equivalent of $20

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally think EVERYONE should have an E. murinus. I love my girl to bits.

I don't know much about C. hainanus in particular but aesthetically the are quite pretty and I do love my C. albostriatus and lividus. Suppose you can't just nab both Ts? :rofl:
I agree! Amazing speicies! Beutiful and have the same lifestyle as an asian fossorial has. I see my juvenile often in burrowmouth, but it is quick to shoot down. Very defenssive though

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Yeah I’m not particularly proud of this moment during my time in the hobby
Well, we all make mistakes, but you sure picked a really bad spider to make one with :vomit:

Sorry I keep using you as a bad example but I think it's important to let people know not to underestimate this species, and you have the only bite report for it.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Care wise and venom wise aside, aesthetically speaking, I'd opt for the E. murinus. Because i personally think that there are far more beautiful Cyriopagopus spp than hainanus. C. albostriatus and C. lividus are much prettier in my opinion. Both of em are pet holes as you know, so really I'd opt for the E. murinus

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
E.murinus. If it is a sexed female, that is. If it is unsexed, you can bet you'll have a mature male on your hands within one or two moults.
Mine is out every night except when in premoult, sitting at the mouth of her burrow sporting those sexy legs. I don't know much about the other species you mention. I don't say this often about a species but E.murinus is a must-have when you love Theraphosidae. Can be fast, but when established a burrow they get less flighty. Can work up quite a temper so no fingers in the enclosure ever. Venom is weaker than OW, but stronger than regular NW so still not a spider to mess with.
Love my girl to bits. :)

Yeah I’m not particularly proud of this moment during my time in the hobby :banghead:

Think carefully before getting C hainanus because it’s likely WC, after my incident I got slings instead to make sure they were CB, a 5” would likely be WC but you never know.

Too bad you’re not over here because $100 for one is insane, I can get 7-8” AF ones for the equivalent of $20
Jesus christ, I somehow missed this report... That is intense dude.. Glad you're okay!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I personally love C.hainanus, but chances are that the ones available are pure WC (even here in Europe), nothing wrong with that, per se (aside personal ethic issues), for me.

If you can purchase a female (with legit proofs of that), I say go for one.

E.murinus
, on the other hand (while IMO amazing) isn't nowhere near so 'rare' so can wait :pompous:

As you guessed, the above is what I would do, being you.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, we all make mistakes, but you sure picked a really bad spider to make one with :vomit:

Sorry I keep using you as a bad example but I think it's important to let people know not to underestimate this species, and you have the only bite report for it.
Oh I’m very happy for anyone to use that bite report, I encourage it. I put it there so that others wouldn’t make the same mistakes I did

u bada

Arachnopeon
Thanks all for the input... as I still ended up liking them both but due to the power of the $ I decided on the e murinus and finally made it to the that store today and the one I saw was gone except turned out they had another one but that one webbed itself in its hide and no point in disturbing it, so guess I'll just check in again...

meanwhile maybe the hainianum / hainanus is still available lol I do have my reservations with its bite being strong and all. @MainMann brings up the good point that there are more interesting looking asian fossorials out there but @Chris LXXIX brings up the good point that e murinus are more easily found in the hobby

... I dunno, lol...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks all for the input... as I still ended up liking them both but due to the power of the $ I decided on the e murinus and finally made it to the that store today and the one I saw was gone except turned out they had another one but that one webbed itself in its hide and no point in disturbing it, so guess I'll just check in again...

meanwhile maybe the hainianum / hainanus is still available lol I do have my reservations with its bite being strong and all. @MainMann brings up the good point that there are more interesting looking asian fossorials out there but @Chris LXXIX brings up the good point that e murinus are more easily found in the hobby

... I dunno, lol...
Let me tell you, honestly I don't get all of this 'venom potency' concerns about the former H.hainanum. Yes, that venom is powerful, ok but it's not that the likes of the 'Orange Bob' (OBT), various S.calceatum etc are less powerful.

As a never old rule, simple, avoid being tagged :)

As I've said the only issues here may be the ethical (obviously personal) ones: to WC or not - since basically 99% of those are WC specimens.

I would definitely opt for one of those.