C. darlingi sac - Pulled prematurely

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@cold blood @Thistles
I could use some baboon sac advice :D If anyone else has some insight, of course, let me know.

So, my C. darlingi laid her sac on 8/10. In trying to avoid what happened with my C. fimbriatus sac, I pulled it a few days early. After opening it up, I can see that they're still a cluster of eggs. Not EWL's, just eggs. They are all a healthy creamy yellow, so I do believe that they're still viable. I stopped opening the sac once I saw this through a thin wall of webbing. I've since placed the entire sac in an incubator (which I'll post pictures of soon). Should I completely open the sac and empty out the eggs? Wait for them to mature a bit longer?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I just pulled a C. marshalli sac 2 days after it was laid 9/2/17. A nice heavy sac with good eggs from what little I could see.

Eggs are still in the sac, in the incubator, kept at humidity around 90%. I will be opening out in a week or so.

But as yours are further on, I would just remove from sac. They should be fine if they are indeed viable.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just pulled a C. marshalli sac 2 days after it was laid 9/2/17. A nice heavy sac with good eggs from what little I could see.

Eggs are still in the sac, in the incubator, kept at humidity around 90%. I will be opening out in a week or so.

But as yours are further on, I would just remove from sac. They should be fine if they are indeed viable.
Any chance that I could see your incubator? I looked up the video that @louise f made, but since this was a bit of a spur of the moment, I don't have supplies on hand. I basically have a steamer set up - a large cup filled with water, a smaller cup stacked inside with holes in the bottom to let humidity through, and moist coffee filters in the small cup where the sac currently is.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Any chance that I could see your incubator? I looked up the video that @louise f made, but since this was a bit of a spur of the moment, I don't have supplies on hand. I basically have a steamer set up - a large cup filled with water, a smaller cup stacked inside with holes in the bottom to let humidity through, and moist coffee filters in the small cup where the sac currently is.
Sounds pretty good to me ;):p

IMG_8264.JPG IMG_8265.JPG IMG_8266.JPG

Edit: forgot to mention that I keep the filters dry. Just incase anything gets too soggy.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Alright, great. Given that this is the same genus, I'm going to follow this exactly. Thanks for the help :) I'll be posting pictures soon.

Any supplemental heating?
I just have baboon sp. incubators sitting closely to the radiator where temps are 24-26C.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So, the question becomes this: What would happen if I just leave them in the sac to emerge on their own? Or at least wait for EWL's? I ask because they're obviously extremely fragile and prone to desiccation. It seems like they'd keep each other from drying out, no?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I guess you could do that. But as long as humidity is up and maintained in the incubator, there shouldnt be an issue

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
But as long as humidity is up and maintained in the incubator, there shouldnt be an issue
Freaking Mojave Desert, man. Anything short of an air-tight container dries out within days.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Good job! Either way will work, but I personally don't have the self-restraint not to open sacs. Good luck! I'm excited for you!

My incubators are more like Kezy's than Louise's for what it's worth btw, but I think either style works. I use an airtight outer container though, since I had phorid flies get into a group of 1i cambridgei.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know of one breeder that doesn't necessarily pull sacs, and has gotten a higher survival percentage. I don't know however if the breeder has tracked this over time, but breeder generally likes to leave sac w/female.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
@ EulersK
I used gel crystals, very sopping wet instead of just water, so as not to splash any on the eggs/EWLS which can mold easily in the high humidity. I incubated them on a women's nylon stocking over the gel crystals . Once they were 1st instar they went onto dampened coffee filters.
2017-07-06 15.39.28.jpg 2017-08-17 11.18.11.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hadn't thought of using gel crystals..interesting use.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
"Those stockings aren't for me. They're for incubating baby tarantulas." --@sdsnybny to the store clerk
Cue @sdsnybny buying a "Wood Working Monthly" magazine, a six pack, and some chewing tobacco along with the stockings. "I'm a man's man," he says to the 17 year old clerk. "How 'bout them there footballs? Wow. Manly."

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
"Those stockings aren't for me. They're for incubating baby tarantulas." --@sdsnybny to the store clerk
Cue @sdsnybny buying a "Wood Working Monthly" magazine, a six pack, and some chewing tobacco along with the stockings. "I'm a man's man," he says to the 17 year old clerk. "How 'bout them there footballs? Wow. Manly."
They were good enough for Joe Namath!!! You two are getting way to much mileage out of this.:)
There are Mens pantyhose.......google at your own risk. definitely not my style LOL
Scotch and cigars.....FTW