C. cyaneopubescens keeps walking nonstop... Why?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My C. Cyaneopubescens (GBB) molted 8-23. After it hardened up (2 days) I noticed that it started to walk nonstop around its vial. Its a little over an inch legspan now. It took down its webs and just walks around the sides. Around and around. It pauses than repeats. At first I thought it was looking for food. So yesterday I fed it a cricket. First meal since its molt. It ate than started to pace again. So I fed it another. Grabbed it again. Both time super aggressive, with punch. Today again, pacing around. This lasts for hours. So I fed it a cricket. POW as soon as it touches the ground. It has not even webbed. I have never seen any tarantula do this.
Wanted to know what does this mean. Unhappy? Hungry? (This is what I thought) Is this typical for this species?

I also notice it stands very erect which to me could be that its a male (No science here just from my personal experience. Its unsexed)Hopefully not.
Thanks.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Most times when my GBB is on the move she's just out laying web. Are the spinnerette moving back and forth while your GBB is having its stroll ?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most times when my GBB is on the move she's just out laying web. Are the spinnerette moving back and forth while your GBB is having its stroll ?
No. Just keeps walking. Right now Its finishing up a cricket so I'll have to see if it does this tomorrow.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I also notice it stands very erect which to me could be that its a male (No science here just from my personal experience.
Please, how does the stance explain the sex? I'm curious.

You say vial and you say it's over an inch. How big is the vial?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I also notice it stands very erect which to me could be that its a male (No science here just from my personal experience. Its unsexed)Hopefully not.
Thanks.
That's silly. ;) Also you probably shouldn't overfeed it, unless you're purposely powerfeeding for some other reason. It's not starving, it's just an instinctive eater.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You say vial and you say it's over an inch. How big is the vial?
2" diameter Vial. It can lay down in the center of it stretch it legs and still not touch the sides.
And I know there is no way I can tell the sex right now. Don't jump down my throat. I did say its not science. It was just a comment. Thanks.

I am not power feeding it. I did state it was the first meal when I started to feed it than Yesterday was the second. I fed it because it was constantly walking and thought that it was looking for food (Hence why I asked the question here:rolleyes: )
I did not want to feed it again so I am asking for advice on its behavior.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
GBB's are active tarantulas. If it just moulted and you did feed it, it could still be hunting, or it could just be stretching out its new suit.
I wouldn't feed any more until next week.
You might consider rehousing it and supplying a hide, it may be a little nervous and feeling exposed.
Other than walking around constantly, does it seem okay? Did it eat the crickets you gave it with no problem?
I wouldn't worry to much if it seems fine otherwise, slings have a lot of energy and can be very skittish.

CapoeiraDude

Arachnopeon
My GBB sling has about a 1.5" legspan, and is still with its birthday suit (i.e sling patterns) but I am keeping 'her' in a container that is approx 7" diameter and probably 7" from the substrate to the lid.

I have noticed her on 2 occasions just pacing round and round the circumfrence of the container, but apart from then she has acted 'normally'.

The whole enclosure was webbed up within 24-48 hours of moving her in and she now spends most of her time tending to the webbing, and resting on it.

I imagine yours was just out on the prowl, either that or she was webbing onto the sides of the vial to create anchor points for future webbing attempts.

As long as the temps are fine, and the enclosure is dry I wouldnt worry, just sounds like the usual, unusual behaviour that keeps us interested in these wonderful inverts.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I think you should give it something a little larger than that vial. Not that it needs much, but a small container will give it some more natural possibilities of living.