C.cyaneopubescens/GBB

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
With all the appreciation week and trio species threads going on, I would like to give some attention to my Gbb slings. Before I got them, I read about their growth rate being fast, but I didn't believe it all, being used to Brachypelma sp and all...well for all the people who would like to get them...get them as slings. Because they grow fast indeed! If you want to start with a sling, but not liking the slowpoke growers, get this species. I got them as maybe 1cm dls, in a years time, one last molted into a staggering 10cm dls, and with full blown adult colours. Amazing species, voracious eaters, easy to keep, and build amazing webhammocks, castles, curtains, the works. They are a little skittish, but not too terrible.
Just wanted to share :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
They are a great species. I was attracted to their coloration and the sheer amount of webbing they can do. I have three 1.1(suspect).1 right now and I enjoy them all. As slings they grow like weeds and the color changes they have while growing is interesting to watch.

Here is one of my sling.

Here is one of my sub-adult male relaxing in his hammock.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I still think that C.cyaneopubescens are a good beginner one. Someone will disagree but oh well. Almost bulletproof, easy to care, raised from slings every molt a "different" spider, web loving architects, always busy with something, great eaters... yes, they are a bit dash/speedy buggers (not that much for my views) but nothing impossible for a serious beginner.

Btw i've never witnessed something similar to a threat display by a 'GBB' so far in all of my years of T's keeping.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I lucked out getting two girls who are about 3 years old. They are definitely already adult size or slightly smaller than full size. One is noticeably larger than the other. I was looking for someone who webbed and couldn't pass up these two because they were so inexpensive (sold as unsexed, but I sexed them both with moults that were in their enclosures).
They are fast little girls, but not defensive at all. Their speed took me back a bit. It was a challenge to rehouse them, they did laps in my bathtub, but they have never shown defensive behaviour ever.
They are beautiful, easy to care for, are great eaters, and make lovely webs. I would recommend them without hesitation.
_DSC2449-2.jpg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I witnessed a threatpose of one of my slings actually, but it was aimed at the cricket it didn't want at first, then at me for removing it and creating al this commotion. It molted a day later, so I guess it was defensive for good reason. ;)

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
With all the appreciation week and trio species threads going on, I would like to give some attention to my Gbb slings. Before I got them, I read about their growth rate being fast, but I didn't believe it all, being used to Brachypelma sp and all...well for all the people who would like to get them...get them as slings. Because they grow fast indeed! If you want to start with a sling, but not liking the slowpoke growers, get this species. I got them as maybe 1cm dls, in a years time, one last molted into a staggering 10cm dls, and with full blown adult colours. Amazing species, voracious eaters, easy to keep, and build amazing webhammocks, castles, curtains, the works. They are a little skittish, but not too terrible.
Just wanted to share :)
I must get a ggb sling then :p

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
Definitely a unique species quite the oddball . i really like mine cause its usually out in the open. Also i dont ever have to wait long to see it eat it knows where food is the second it hits the web like spider radar.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Both my girls are quite bold and will come toward me when I am opening one corner of their enclosure (I crack it open, but don't open it up, like a knock on the door) in anticipation of a meal. You have to be on guard with them because they are fast. I will wait until they are eating to take any photos.
My girls are always out in the open as well.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
This is going to be my first T. After much consideration I believe I am going to buy 3 slings instead one adult female.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This is going to be my first T. After much consideration I believe I am going to buy 3 slings instead one adult female.
They are pretty cool tarantulas, just keep in mind their speed and always have a catch cup in the ready. Once mine got settled it wasn't as flighty.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I used to only buy adults because the thought of trying to keep alive a spiderling, that I can't even see properly with my reading glasses, scared the beejesus out of me. But I have learned how rewarding it is and I am enjoying it a great deal... along with worrying still.
If you are going to choose spiderlings, then this is a good species to go with as your first experience because of how fast they will grow.
Plus, this species is just gorgeous as spiderlings - I missed out on that with getting my two girls at full size.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Good choice :)
I keep them dry with a waterdish, when they were smaller i would put some drops of water on their web, or overflow their waterdish a little. But they do not require the damp substrate as other slings do. I do have them in slightly bigger enclosures than other slings of the same size. Well, I used to anyway...the one who last molted is due for a rehouse. Again. :p

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My GBB ("Pants") is hilarious. The first, and only, time I have ever seen a threat pose from her (suspect female but not 100%) was right when I was unpacking her as a tiny .5 inch sling. She came out of her vial, ran up to the top of my hand, and then gave me a threat posture right to my face for about 5 seconds. Then she stopped, and casually walked off my hand and into the little enclosure I had been trying to get her into. Like that was her way of introducing herself and establishing who is boss. Never seen any defensive behavior from her since, though she is quite the hair kicker.

She does random funny things though. She's very quick but generally seems more curious than anything. Once time when I opened her enclosure up to refill her water dish she dashed like a lightning bolt into her hide, then about half a second later dashed right back out just as fast and just sat there watching me, like she was afraid she had missed something. Quite a character.

VelvetCollar

Arachnopeon
Btw i've never witnessed something similar to a threat display by a 'GBB' so far in all of my years of T's keeping.
She does random funny things though. She's very quick but generally seems more curious than anything.
Once mine got settled it wasn't as flighty.
Just wanna chip in and say that mine is fairly possessive of various specific items in his/her enclosure, i can do massive digging projects and at most the spider will walk/sprint out incase of.. cress or mold, but if i put in a pippette near the waterdish(not webbed up mind you) it loses it, threat pose, sitting at the dish for hours on end(without threat pose), pretty impressive to watch but i can imagine it can be a bit of a shock to a first time owner that doesn't know of it. But for reals, they are amazing to keep, just keep a catchcup near at all times.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
This is mine in response to a cricket that startled it. It must not realize it's a GBB and think it's an angry OW, because this isn't the first time I've seen it threat pose.

Attachments

Chapat

Arachnopeon
Little confused, read that GBB like it bone dry then I see one of Taurantula Girls youtube videos on GBB care and she says she mist the sling cage 3 times a week. Now what is it? Bone dry or mist. She obviously know her stuff so....