Bye, Nemo

Miloren

Arachnopeon
I'm a terrible owner, I've killed the first invert I got. Nemo was Damon diadema who I got as an adult. She was very active and ate a lot. I started college and moved into a dorm where I should've been able to regulate the temperature as we do have a thermostat in the room that I kept set to 75 degrees, but it always felt colder. I bought another thermometer to check and it said the room was at 68 degrees. I coulda bought heat source for her, but I didn't and now she's dead.

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't beat yourself too much, man. They aren't easy to care just like the average 'grammo' and 'brachy' are, considering everything. Also you can't be sure that was your fault to begin with nor the temperatures.

Sometimes poop happens, and then you die. It's life.

Last edited:

Miloren

Arachnopeon
Thanks man, I was probably too attached to her. I would cry every time I saw her molt cause I thought it was her dead body and something terrible happened to her before realize yknow like it's a molt.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks man, I was probably too attached to her. I would cry every time I saw her molt cause I thought it was her dead body and something terrible happened to her before realize yknow like it's a molt.
Life isn't about 'quantity' but 'quality'. You loved that spider. It's enough.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
There's a good chance you didn't kill her--though I've never had Damon diadema, I have a heterophrynus batesii, and she has temps in the low 70s and high 60s all winter. She doesn't love it, but she does tolerate it. If you got an adult, wild caught whipspider, there's so much that you can't control about parasites and age.

Don't give up because you've had a bad first experience. My first pet ever, another h batesii, escaped after about a month due to my negligence in not covering holes at the top of the tank. Keep at it, don't get discouraged. You would lead a blessed life indeed if you never made husbandry mistakes.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Life isn't about 'quantity' but 'quality'. You loved that spider. It's enough.
It's not a spider. It's an Amblypygi. You are right though, it could have died for any number of reasons, including age. How long do these live on average does anyone know?

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep some of my Damon diadema without winter heating and they survive it just fine. My room gets into the high 50s and low 60s in the winter and the only thing that happens is that the juveniles that are kept unheated start developing more slowly than those that are heated in the main enclosure with the adults.