Buying Tarantulas at Reptile Expo

DapperDan

Arachnopeon
I will be attending my first Reptile expo in LA, California this november and wanted to know of there are any tips to buying tarantulas at an expo. Any specific way i should go about packing them up while roaming the rest of expo? Also is pricing any different for T's at these? Anything helps. Hoping to pick up a few but just dont want to damage them or come unprepared.

Thank you!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Before you go, make a mental list of what you want - and how much you are willing to spend. Decide if there are any "must haves." When you get there, it's super easy to turn into a kid in a candy store and blow all your cash at the first table or two because there are just so many to choose from! Some vendors will have better prices than others, so if you see a spider that you want - but that isn't a super rare "must have" - take the time to check around to see if someone else might have a better price. That said, if it's something you absolutely have to have - or something uncommon - you run the risk of someone else buying it while you compare prices.

If you are looking for something specific or something rare, go on the first day - and go early! Try to be there when the show opens. The rare stuff goes fast. On the other hand, if you're looking for a good deal, going toward the end of the last day might be better. While the selection will be somewhat picked over, there will still be plenty of spiders left - and some of the vendors may be more willing to make a deal rather than having to pack up the spiders and ship or transport them back home.

In general, prices at the expos are cheaper than those at local pet shops - and the variety of available tarantulas (and scorpions and centipedes and other arachnids) is MUCH bigger! Prices are typically comparable to prices you'd find online here in the AB classifieds - but without having to pay for (or risk) shipping. Don't be afraid to make a (reasonable) offer. The worst thing that can happen is the vendor says "no" - or makes a counteroffer. Some of the vendors will be willing to make a deal with you - particularly if you are paying cash or if you are making multiple purchases.

When I attend expos, I like to bring a sturdy tote bag with me that I can put my purchases in while I roam the expo - but there are also a lot of vendors that will hold your spider(s), tanks, and other accessories for you (after you purchase them, of course) so you can just pick them up on your way out.

DapperDan

Arachnopeon
Before you go, make a mental list of what you want - and how much you are willing to spend. Decide if there are any "must haves." When you get there, it's super easy to turn into a kid in a candy store and blow all your cash at the first table or two because there are just so many to choose from! Some vendors will have better prices than others, so if you see a spider that you want - but that isn't a super rare "must have" - take the time to check around to see if someone else might have a better price. That said, if it's something you absolutely have to have - or something uncommon - you run the risk of someone else buying it while you compare prices.

If you are looking for something specific or something rare, go on the first day - and go early! Try to be there when the show opens. The rare stuff goes fast. On the other hand, if you're looking for a good deal, going toward the end of the last day might be better. While the selection will be somewhat picked over, there will still be plenty of spiders left - and some of the vendors may be more willing to make a deal rather than having to pack up the spiders and ship or transport them back home.

In general, prices at the expos are cheaper than those at local pet shops - and the variety of available tarantulas (and scorpions and centipedes and other arachnids) is MUCH bigger! Prices are typically comparable to prices you'd find online here in the AB classifieds - but without having to pay for (or risk) shipping. Don't be afraid to make a (reasonable) offer. The worst thing that can happen is the vendor says "no" - or makes a counteroffer. Some of the vendors will be willing to make a deal with you - particularly if you are paying cash or if you are making multiple purchases.

When I attend expos, I like to bring a sturdy tote bag with me that I can put my purchases in while I roam the expo - but there are also a lot of vendors that will hold your spider(s), tanks, and other accessories for you (after you purchase them, of course) so you can just pick them up on your way out.
Im mainly looking to get 3 tarantulas
Venezuelan Suntiger
Gbb
Obt
Maybe if i have some extra cash i can get more but what are roughly good prices or do yoy think that since ill be getting 3 i could get a deal?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Maybe if i have some extra cash i can get more but what are roughly good prices or do yoy think that since ill be getting 3 i could get a deal?
To get a general idea of prices, I would search the Classified boards for those species (using the scientific name). Make a note of what the going rate is for each so you can recognize a good price when you see one.

You're most likely to get a good deal if you make multiple purchases from the same vendor. Don't be afraid to haggle.

Sometimes I see underpriced tarantulas on tables of vendors who don't specialize in tarantulas. They may not be as familiar with the market, or the tarantula may be mislabeled. If you know what you are looking for and can recognize mislabeled species, you can sometimes find a screaming deal. (The same goes for being able to sex unsexed tarantulas.)

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Venezuelan Suntiger
Gbb
Obt
To give you an Idea last expo I went to the OBT and P. Irminia were $10 each. This was in west michigan.

DapperDan

Arachnopeon
To get a general idea of prices, I would search the Classified boards for those species (using the scientific name). Make a note of what the going rate is for each so you can recognize a good price when you see one.

You're most likely to get a good deal if you make multiple purchases from the same vendor. Don't be afraid to haggle.

Sometimes I see underpriced tarantulas on tables of vendors who don't specialize in tarantulas. They may not be as familiar with the market, or the tarantula may be mislabeled. If you know what you are looking for and can recognize mislabeled species, you can sometimes find a screaming deal. (The same goes for being able to sex unsexed tarantulas.)
What is the best way to sex a tarantula without the molt?

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello mate,

I'll be going to the same expo. Repticon, right?. Costa Mesa at the Fairgrounds? I went to the last expo there. Tip: Get there early. It was a loooong line to get into the parking lot but they also had a Pet Expo next door...don't know if that's the case this time. We parked across the street in a neighborhood and walked over.

They get real crowded so, like Chanda said, see if the vendor can hold your purchases for you until you leave. Kids running around unsupervised, treating the place like a petting zoo.

They'll have an ATM but I brought plenty of cash so I didn't have to stand in the ATM line. You might be able to get deals at the end of the day Sunday since they'll probably want to get rid of what they can. Majority of the T's I saw were unsexed.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Venezuelan Suntiger
Gbb
Obt
Are you looking for slings, juveniles, or adults? These are all pretty common species and slings, in particular, should be abundant - and probably pretty cheap. Adults - particularly captive bred - are somewhat rare even at expos, plus you run the risk with some less-than-scrupulous dealers of having a juvenile/subadult male passed off as "unsexed."

I've never priced OBT's (Pterinochilus murinus) because that's not a species I am interested in buying, but they do seem to be pretty cheap, particularly as slings. Psalmopoeus irminia (Venezuelan Suntiger) seems to be the least abundant of the three, but I've seen juveniles up to 2" DLS for $25-$45 depending on the vendor. GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) slings have typically been pretty abundant but I haven't priced them. I'm on my third GBB now - but I either bought them as juveniles/subadults on Craigslist or obtained them by trading away mature males, so I'm not sure what the going rate is.

On another note, you mentioned a few weeks ago that you were "very new to this hobby." I believe the B. vagans and C. versicolor slings you'd recently purchased were your first tarantulas? And then - just a couple of weeks later - you jumped to Old World and ordered a P. striata sling. You might want to think about slowing down just a bit - or at least consider carefully the species you are getting.

P. irminia
has pretty potent venom for a New World tarantula and is an absolute speed demon. In my experience, they are far more likely to bolt out of the cage than is a Pokie. My P. vitatta typically darts behind his dirt curtain when I have to open the cage to feed him or clean up something and stays there until I'm done, but when I had a P. irminia she would sprint wildly around the cage - including running toward/around the door area. Also, I have never seen my Pokie throw a threat pose, but that little irminia threw threat poses all the time.

GBB's are pretty good for the relatively inexperienced keeper, although they are faster and more skittish than many other terrestrials (such as Brachypelma, Grammostola, or Aphonopelma species). Mine have been among my worst hair kickers - but otherwise, they're pretty easy to care for.

The OBT, though, is one that I would not necessarily want to tackle - and I've been keeping tarantulas for around eight years now. They are fast, defensive, and have a reputation for being much more likely to go into a threat pose and bite, rather than backing down or hiding like many other tarantula species.

You've got a couple of weeks yet before the expo - I would strongly recommend using that time to research the species you are considering thoroughly. Make sure you are prepared to house and care for them adequately. Ask people here who have those species for more information about them.

Finally, don't forget that slings grow - and some of them grow fast. You've already got what... four tarantulas? The B. vagans, C. versicolor, P. striata, and I believe you also said you'd picked up an A. avicularia a couple of weeks ago. You are talking about buying at least three more at the expo. While it is very easy to house seven slings in their cute little enclosures, they will grow up and require larger enclosures - and housing seven full-grown tarantulas requires a fair amount of space. Make sure before you buy the slings that you will be able to continue housing and caring for them appropriately into adulthood - because it happens sooner than you think.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, the #1 thing I would advise, is to know what species are worth and at what sizes.

By browsing a large group of sellers like the classifieds suggestion, you can at least get an idea of a lot of them, even if they aren't species you intend to target...you just never know what you will find....it would be a bummer to pass on something really cool at a good price just because you didn't know what it was. (you can even use it as a reference when there on your phone)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Wish I lived closer to such exos!
Colour me jealous!
Our last Repticon was mostly reptiles. I found 2 T vendors, and I gotta say (out of a total of maybe 15 Ts between them) it was all rosies & vagans -- and they looked like they were on their last legs. Long legs. Tiny rumps, long legged -- looked like MMs that escaped their final breedings.
I ended up leaving with a snake and some frozen feeder mice. lol

DapperDan

Arachnopeon
Are you looking for slings, juveniles, or adults? These are all pretty common species and slings, in particular, should be abundant - and probably pretty cheap. Adults - particularly captive bred - are somewhat rare even at expos, plus you run the risk with some less-than-scrupulous dealers of having a juvenile/subadult male passed off as "unsexed."

I've never priced OBT's (Pterinochilus murinus) because that's not a species I am interested in buying, but they do seem to be pretty cheap, particularly as slings. Psalmopoeus irminia (Venezuelan Suntiger) seems to be the least abundant of the three, but I've seen juveniles up to 2" DLS for $25-$45 depending on the vendor. GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) slings have typically been pretty abundant but I haven't priced them. I'm on my third GBB now - but I either bought them as juveniles/subadults on Craigslist or obtained them by trading away mature males, so I'm not sure what the going rate is.

On another note, you mentioned a few weeks ago that you were "very new to this hobby." I believe the B. vagans and C. versicolor slings you'd recently purchased were your first tarantulas? And then - just a couple of weeks later - you jumped to Old World and ordered a P. striata sling. You might want to think about slowing down just a bit - or at least consider carefully the species you are getting.

P. irminia
has pretty potent venom for a New World tarantula and is an absolute speed demon. In my experience, they are far more likely to bolt out of the cage than is a Pokie. My P. vitatta typically darts behind his dirt curtain when I have to open the cage to feed him or clean up something and stays there until I'm done, but when I had a P. irminia she would sprint wildly around the cage - including running toward/around the door area. Also, I have never seen my Pokie throw a threat pose, but that little irminia threw threat poses all the time.

GBB's are pretty good for the relatively inexperienced keeper, although they are faster and more skittish than many other terrestrials (such as Brachypelma, Grammostola, or Aphonopelma species). Mine have been among my worst hair kickers - but otherwise, they're pretty easy to care for.

The OBT, though, is one that I would not necessarily want to tackle - and I've been keeping tarantulas for around eight years now. They are fast, defensive, and have a reputation for being much more likely to go into a threat pose and bite, rather than backing down or hiding like many other tarantula species.

You've got a couple of weeks yet before the expo - I would strongly recommend using that time to research the species you are considering thoroughly. Make sure you are prepared to house and care for them adequately. Ask people here who have those species for more information about them.

Finally, don't forget that slings grow - and some of them grow fast. You've already got what... four tarantulas? The B. vagans, C. versicolor, P. striata, and I believe you also said you'd picked up an A. avicularia a couple of weeks ago. You are talking about buying at least three more at the expo. While it is very easy to house seven slings in their cute little enclosures, they will grow up and require larger enclosures - and housing seven full-grown tarantulas requires a fair amount of space. Make sure before you buy the slings that you will be able to continue housing and caring for them appropriately into adulthood - because it happens sooner than you think.
I jave a huge bookshelf and also a desk coming soon plus ooen to put shelving up in certain areas. Have plenty of space. As to obtaining so many T's and only beong new to the hobby is because so far with all my T's ive had zero problems and have done my rehousing pretty well. I take alot of precaution and have been getting alot of tips both here and from my own research. Thank you for all of the information. Im sure ill be ready

DapperDan

Arachnopeon
Hello mate,

I'll be going to the same expo. Repticon, right?. Costa Mesa at the Fairgrounds? I went to the last expo there. Tip: Get there early. It was a loooong line to get into the parking lot but they also had a Pet Expo next door...don't know if that's the case this time. We parked across the street in a neighborhood and walked over.

They get real crowded so, like Chanda said, see if the vendor can hold your purchases for you until you leave. Kids running around unsupervised, treating the place like a petting zoo.

They'll have an ATM but I brought plenty of cash so I didn't have to stand in the ATM line. You might be able to get deals at the end of the day Sunday since they'll probably want to get rid of what they can. Majority of the T's I saw were unsexed.
Yes! Thank you for the advice. Last time you went were there alot of dealer with T's or just a few?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes! Thank you for the advice. Last time you went were there alot of dealer with T's or just a few?
There are usually quite a few vendors with tarantulas. Some people only have the tarantulas (and sometimes other inverts) - but don't rule out the reptile or frog guys, either. There are a number of them that also have spiders for sale - or that share table space with a spider guy. While the big vendors like LLL will have a very large setup, some of the smaller breeders/dealers will share a table. @JoeRossi (one of our AB members) usually has a table - and one of the best selections. He frequently has the high-end T's that you can't find anywhere else - as well as the more common species.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I jave a huge bookshelf and also a desk coming soon plus ooen to put shelving up in certain areas. Have plenty of space. As to obtaining so many T's and only beong new to the hobby is because so far with all my T's ive had zero problems and have done my rehousing pretty well. I take alot of precaution and have been getting alot of tips both here and from my own research. Thank you for all of the information. Im sure ill be ready
That's good that's it gone well so far - but remember that rehousing a fast, defensive, sub-adult or adult OBT is a lot different than rehousing a B. vagans sling, just to pick a couple of examples. It sounds like you've only been in the hobby for about a month and your spiders are all slings/juveniles, so I can't imagine that you've had to do a great deal of rehousing yet, beyond transferring the slings from the containers they were in when you purchased them. That kind of transfer is super easy - take the lid off the cup or vial, stick it in the cage, close the cage, and wait. It's another matter entirely to have to dig out a large, fast, skittish, and aggressive (at least when it feels threatened) spider that is hiding at the bottom of a burrow and is more than willing to bite you for disturbing it - particularly if it has a relatively nasty venom. I'm not saying you shouldn't get those spiders - but please research them before you buy them and don't let yourself be lulled into a false sense of security because you have had "zero problems" so far. Sooner or later, your luck will run out. It always does.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sometimes I see underpriced tarantulas on tables of vendors who don't specialize in tarantulas. They may not be as familiar with the market, or the tarantula may be mislabeled. If you know what you are looking for and can recognize mislabeled species, you can sometimes find a screaming deal.
Absolutely. My best deals have all come from reptile dealers. I make a B-line to them when at an expo, the invert dealers come last. Granted, invert dealers tend to have a better selection.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Repticon in Costa Mesa is paired with America’s Pet Expo. So be aware that there will be lots of random people there who stumble in just to gawk. It gets CROWDED with people who aren’t actually there for Repticon.

And yes, go find @JoeRossi. Super cool dude, great selection, and healthy animals.

I definitely love expos because you get the option of seeing the actual spiders before purchasing. And no need to worry about shipping.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Repticon in Costa Mesa is paired with America’s Pet Expo. So be aware that there will be lots of random people there who stumble in just to gawk. It gets CROWDED with people who aren’t actually there for Repticon.

And yes, go find @JoeRossi. Super cool dude, great selection, and healthy animals.

I definitely love expos because you get the option of seeing the actual spiders before purchasing. And no need to worry about shipping.
The April Repticon is paired with America's Family Pet Expo. The November show is just Repticon by itself. There are a couple of other events at the OC Event Center that weekend - the Sugarplum Arts & Crafts Festival is the 9th-11th and there's a Salute to Veterans on the 11th as well - but I think that's it. There still may be a few gawkers dropping in for a peek, but nothing like what you get the weekend of the Pet Expo.

JillGig

Arachnopeon
I will be attending my first Reptile expo in LA, California this november and wanted to know of there are any tips to buying tarantulas at an expo. Any specific way i should go about packing them up while roaming the rest of expo? Also is pricing any different for T's at these? Anything helps. Hoping to pick up a few but just dont want to damage them or come unprepared.

Thank you!
I just got my girl at an expo..i bought her and the guy held her for me till I was ready to leave..this way I wasn't carrying her around..those expos are so much fun!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
The April Repticon is paired with America's Family Pet Expo. The November show is just Repticon by itself. There are a couple of other events at the OC Event Center that weekend - the Sugarplum Arts & Crafts Festival is the 9th-11th and there's a Salute to Veterans on the 11th as well - but I think that's it. There still may be a few gawkers dropping in for a peek, but nothing like what you get the weekend of the Pet Expo.
Oh, that’s good to know!