Buying for new Tarantula keeper.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
A friend of mine has rapidly come into the hobby after seeing some of my Ts and scorpions a month ago, and now has a B. hamorii which i had surplus, and a colony of H. laoticus scorpions (10 from memory).

He would desperately like some "pretty/colourful" tarantulas but is put off by the general difficulty of most he has looked at, plus me saying No when he is asking if he should get the pretty C. lividum or the awesome orange OBT he has seen!!!

His birthday is just around the corner and im having a mental block on what to buy him that he will like and that wont try to kill him. I have got as far as C. cyaneopubescens as a strong contender, but maybe im missing something.

Ideal criteria: Blue, Not a murderer, Not a pet hole, Big

Any ideas very appreciated. As much as i like a good looking tarantula, i find old world invisible brown pet holes just as fun, and he isnt quite at that point yet.

basin79

ArachnoGod
A friend of mine has rapidly come into the hobby after seeing some of my Ts and scorpions a month ago, and now has a B. hamorii which i had surplus, and a colony of H. laoticus scorpions (10 from memory).

He would desperately like some "pretty/colourful" tarantulas but is put off by the general difficulty of most he has looked at, plus me saying No when he is asking if he should get the pretty C. lividum or the awesome orange OBT he has seen!!!

His birthday is just around the corner and im having a mental block on what to buy him that he will like and that wont try to kill him. I have got as far as C. cyaneopubescens as a strong contender, but maybe im missing something.

Any ideas very appreciated. As much as i like a good looking tarantula, i find old world invisible brown pet holes just as fun, and he isnt quite at that point yet.
Obviously not blue but either a juvenile/young adult female Brachypelma hamorii or Grammostola pulchra. Both absolutely beautiful in their own right and pretty much bullet proof. Throw in the fact they're long lived and I believe you've got a perfect first tarantula.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
GBB is one of the best, as in prettiest/see it generally, HARDY, species to have as a second T. IF you like blue/orange that is.

The "mini-GBB" is even better-- no urticating setae.

Turiell

Arachnopeon
The "mini-GBB" is even better-- no urticating setae.
That is true, but to make up for no urticating setae, they can develop a temper and snap at you. Well I have one that does it, but the other two haven't. I don't know how everyone else's mini GBBs behave, but that little one is feisty!

@OP, I not trying to scare you away from those types of tarantula, but I'm just saying if you get one for your friend, just know that they can get a little temperamental. No where near an OW of course. Hope you find the perfect tarantula for your friend!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is true, but to make up for no urticating setae, they can develop a temper and snap at you. Well I have one that does it, but the other two haven't. I don't know how everyone else's mini GBBs behave, but that little one is feisty!

@OP, I not trying to scare you away from those types of tarantula, but I'm just saying if you get one for your friend, just know that they can get a little temperamental. No where near an OW of course. Hope you find the perfect tarantula for your friend!
GBBs are no different IME. I'd rather be tagged by a mini-GBB than have urticating setae any day.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
The GBB is a great choice, reasonably priced and very hardy. @viper69 , what's a mini GBB? D. diamantinensis? Those are cool too, but small. Great choice and not common at all. P sazami is so blue and pretty as an adult as well.

Turiell

Arachnopeon
The GBB is a great choice, reasonably priced and very hardy. @viper69 , what's a mini GBB? D. diamantinensis? Those are cool too, but small. Great choice and not common at all. P sazami is so blue and pretty as an adult as well.
Yes, the mini GBB is the D.diamantinensis. I have no idea why I didn't put the name in....oi.

@viper69 I'm guessing you're very sensitive to the setae? I'm really not so far but I've heard that can change. Yay, something to look forward to! :shifty:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'll echo P. sazimai and GBB for a blue one.

If purple is an option, maybe a P. platyomma male? They get big, are colorful, and are on display a lot.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron

cant think of any "pretty" beginner T's but maybe you could try an avic of some kind. if all else fails true spiders are here to save the day! you could always try giving him a "pretty" jumper like a paraphidippus aurantius and with how interactive jumpers are with there owners that will keep him busy for a while. you might have to tell him that hes not advanced enough for the "pretty"/dangerous spiders and give him a brachypelma abopilosum or a Grammostola rosea

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For pretty and blue, I would go with the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue). They're extremely hardy and easy to care for (no substrate moisture to dial in). They aren't huge but they reach a decent size.

I am not sure I'd recommend Dolichothele diamantinensis to brand new keepers due to their speed, but otherwise, they are not that bad. (However, this is a dwarf species, maxing out at about 3"; scorpio said the ideal tarantula would be big.)

My boy was normally pretty chill with two exceptions:
  • rehousing (running laps at lightning speed): definitely use the catch-cup or bag method instead of trying to nudge it into its new enclosure
  • Once I nudged a mealworm with a crushed head toward his retreat, and he held this threat pose for two hours:

octaJon

Arachnopeon
Couple more "blues" though better choices already listed above IMO:
-Aphonopelma seemani blue color form
-Homoeomma sp blue

I'd vote for C. cyaneopubescens (GBB) for all the reasons listed above; def must have tarantula!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I know it's not blue as an adult, but why not a C. versicolor sling? Their shade of blue is remarkable, IME they're quite hardy, low maintenance, and beginner friendly (especially considering you have access to this wonderful website with accurate information on their care). They're also not likely to try to kill your friend. Lol. And I know prices and availability are different over there, but at least in the US they're much more reasonably priced and available than many of the other species listed on here so far. Plus, sure they aren't blue as adults, but they're still stunning as adults and you get to watch them through that color shift.

Try as I might, I am incapable of capturing this guy's full beauty on camera. He's just starting to get hints of red to him, but his blue is still beautiful
20180302_133709-1.jpg