Buthis occitanus mardochei babies!

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just discovered that my Buthis occitanus mardochei had babies! Looks like there are about 40+ in the enclosure with the female! Those little guys are everywhere. I'm totally shocked. I hadn't seen the female in at least a week. I was assuming that she had died in her burrow. She use to bask under the heat lamp all day. This is totally unexpected and I'm a little unprepared. So, should I separate them now or should I wait for a few days? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

W. Smith

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Keep them together as long as they are on the mother's back. It is much safer that way. The adults and young of this species seem to have quite a need for water, as seen with Hadogenes troglodytes, but they don't do well in an overly humid enclosure, so they should have a means of obtaining water as needed.

adios,
edw.

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If they are off her back them take them out ASAP. I would try to keep them apart also. Make sure they dont dry out. Are you going to be selling them? Im sure there are some interested people.

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. Yeah, they are off mom's back and are hunting on their own. I was planning on keeping them in individual deli cups. What substrate should I use? Should I use packed sand like mom has? Or would it be in their best interest to use peat?

W. Smith

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
My basic desert mix usually contains 25-35% peat...thats my preference and it seems to work well...it helps hold the substrate together a bit.

By the way...congrats on the babies...you have good litter of one of the less common scorps out in the US end of the hobby.

John
];')

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks. I think I'm gonna try the 30% peat and 70% sand. Should I use a gravel underlay in the cups or is just substrate okay?

Thanks,

W. Smith

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Plain substrate should be fine...just make sure you lightly mist a corner so they have a bit more humidity than average...babies need more...I'm sure you must have read in this form many times. I'd give them a more moist hide and a dry hide..I have success with this method.

John
];')