Busted! Caught trying to drag her dish down her burrow. What's the weirdest thing your T has done?

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I caught my G. pulchripes today trying to drag her water dish down into her burrow. It seems like all my Grammostolas are kinda goofy. Sorry for the bad quality - had to take it through the lid so I didn't spook her.

cordeliawhatareyoudoing.png

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
The weirdest thing? Oh, that's easy... :rofl:

Taking a bath_04032018.jpg
I still don't know what my H. chilensis sling was "thinking" or doing back then. When I opened the enclosure to save it from its apparent predicament, it just rolled over and calmly exited the water dish. o_O

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire

View attachment 302188
I still don't know what my H. chilensis sling was "thinking" or doing back then. When I opened the enclosure to save it from its apparent predicament, it just rolled over and calmly exited the water dish. o_O
Alright, that's a new one! I have an H. chilensis too and they have the neatest personalities.

Last edited:

sasker

Arachnoprince
Ah, spiders and water dishes... When my B. hamorii was a tiny juvi, she managed to drag her water dish (a bottle cap at the time) to every corner of her enclosure. One morning I found her with her water dish in her hide. When I checked later, it was in the same position where I placed it the first time, right side up! I only needed to add water and it was like nothing happened. I thought that was quite impressive :)

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
My G. porteri is the worst. He plunks himself down in his dish and gets super defensive over it (and he's defensive to begin with). I've just implemented a system of deploying 2 or 3 decoy dishes.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Both my Pamphobeteus sp costa and Grammostola iheringi took their water dishes into their burrows recently. The 1st time ever and they both did it.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a Phormictopus cancerides female that often striked at me against the glass when she saw my shadow when i walked by her enclosure! It was almost as i begun to heard
the old Rockwell song "Somebody watches me" after a while!:dead:

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

View attachment 302188
Sun bathing in the swimming pool, HAHA.

s dave

Arachnopeon

View attachment 302188
I learned a long time ago that it is inappropriate to mess with a lady's bath time

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I literally just posted these (again) in another thread last week, that's how often this comes up:

I've posted these before, but for the newbies - the craziest things my T's did with their water dishes:

My Brachypelma hamorii put her deli cup on top of her hide, it's still there a year later. She's never bothered the bottle cap I replaced it with.

My big Lasiodora parahybana takes her one deli cup and moves it around her enclosure, once she even threw it down into her burrow, only to pull it out the next day. She never bothers the other one I put in there.

My Xenesthis immanis kept filling her bottle cap with dirt, so I added a deli cup in the other corner. The next day I found the bottle cap in the deli cup.
My acanthoscurria geniculata tried eat her water dish once. As I tried to fill it she ran over and picked it up with her fangs. She was moving it around trying to insert her fangs, after a while she gave up.
Tarantula's and water dishes - it's a endless struggle that we humans can not and will not ever understand.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Your geniculata must really hate her water dish, mine is a total friend of hers. Water is just crystal clear o_o

Minty

@londontarantulas
087B5FA8-EAC0-41E5-985F-C89551D95D22.jpeg My Grammostola pulchra had a lot of dirt on her carapace once, presumably from digging.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Squirt (female Psalmopoeus cambridgei) came running in response to a loud fart.

Bulldozer (juvenile female Grammostola pulchra) attempted to "hide the evidence" after pooping in her water dish. (She dragged her leaf into the dish and then dumped substrate on top of it.)

This is not entirely natural, but my all-time favorite story is the game of tug-of-war between Genicula (juvenile male Acanthoscurria geniculata) and Bulldozer. I was playing the ribbon game with Bulldozer (left), when Genicula (right) climbed up to investigate, so I let them play tug of war against each other.

While Bulldozer was bigger, it wasn't long before Genicula got the upper hand due to his enthusiasm.

Genicula finally won by yanking the ribbon into his cage, but he fell into his water dish and thereby lost some of the dignity of victory.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I could never figure out if I should be worried or if it was funny, but my A. avicularia fell over onto her back once. Not from premolt.

poor pic quality sorry
20190102_202355.jpg

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My G. rosea enjoys doing absolutely nothing until 1-2AM when she will traipse through her water dish ever so lightly and coat the top of the water with a thin layer of dirt. She used to pile dirt into it but she's much more delicate now. Then again a T doing something stupid to a water dish is not weird by any standards..

GRosea

Arachnopeon
Well, I have a couple funny stories I guess. One being that my G. Rosea has a large lump of dirt that she always has in her hide and she gets angsty if I take it out.
Another funny thing is that my A. Metallica seems to have OCD- she is CONSTANTLY grooming. Oh, and she's fallen off her branches once or twice, and seemingly on purpose- she sits there and kind of tilts backwards to the point where she falls off.
Oh, and my B. Smithi sling does yoga- she stands half on the wall of her enclosure with four of her legs on the side and the other three on the floor (She's missing one from a bad molt). From what I've seen, it's a Brachypelma thing.
None of these are super interesting but they're funny.

Oh. I literally just witnessed my A. Metallica dipping her front legs in the water and kinda splashing it. She's a cutie!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Today I woke up and found out my A. geniculatas water dish is half empty and I filled it yesterday... I think she might have something to do with it.

GRosea

Arachnopeon
Currently my A. Metallica is IN her water dish. Which is empty and needs topping up. And I can't cause she is refusing to move from the dish.
Did I mention she knocked it over herself?