burrowing mealworms

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi. i put three mealworms in the tank to see if she would eat them and almost immediately they burrowed into the substrate. now what? will they come up again or will she dig them up? if she doesn't eat them then should i try to find them?
jono

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yup, dig 'em up. They could cause problems later on. Better to be safe, than sorry.
Next time try a shallow dish. Use on that the larvae cannot climb.
Also, you could try using an alligator clip. Famously known as a "roach clip". Just use a screw to mount the clip to something heavy, such as a section of tree branch. Using the "roach clip", pinch the end of the worm, thus limiting it's escape. It should be easily found and eaten.
john

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LaRiz,

I like the roach clip idea, but what makes you say that the mealworm could cause a problem later? I leave them in the substrate and let the T dig them up later. My only concern on the matter is the fact that if they go for too long without being eaten, they will most likely be of less value as a food source due to the lack of quality food. You may know something I don't... please explain.

Botar

Seath

Arachnopeon
Mealworms are beetle larva, and will dig in the substrate and more then likely not be found by the T once they dig in. And then one of 2 things will probally happen. One, the little thing will die in the substrate and rot there which may bring other pests to your enclosure. Or two, it will eventually morph in to a beetle.

seath

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Although I understand the death concept, most of my T's will readily take the worm, pupae, or adult beetle, so I still don't see this as a problem. I would think the beetle could cause harm to a molting T, much like a cricket, but if the T hasn't eaten it by that time, I'd fish it out. I've had several mealworms transform into the pupae stage in a T's enclosure, just to be eaten by the T. They really seem to like the freshly molted pupae. I also like feeding small mealworms to slings that have dug deep burrows. The burrowing instincts of the mealworm will usually take them right to the sling... then it's dinner time.

Botar

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Botar,
I've been leaving mealworms in the substrate with no problem at all. The T's tend to find them when they do surface, and down the hatch, so to speak. They don't seen to bother the T's during molting either. At least as far as I'm concerned. I've had surprise molts with my slings, and the mealworm stayed hidden the whole time.

Ernie

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Basically I was saying, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Like it was said before, and even heard of, that mealworms of both Tenebrio and Zophobas can injure a molting tarantula.
Myself, I like to play things safe. I make sure that prey is eaten and dispatched before leaving it. It's something I've been doing from the start.
I'm sure a tarantula can dig up a tasty surprise later on, but what if it doesn't. Thinking it did, you toss in another. And another, and so on.
I'm a control freak, it has to be eaten, or it comes out.
john

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with you LaRiz!

No crickets or mealworm stays in with the T more than 24 ours, if not eaten by then, i take it out ;P

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Usualy the mealworms begin to dig once they him the substrate and either the T digs them out or they come back to the surface usualy at night.
I wouldn't worry at all if the T doesn't attack them immi, she/he'll find them sooner or later.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
Basically I was saying, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Like it was said before, and even heard of, that mealworms of both Tenebrio and Zophobas can injure a molting tarantula.
Myself, I like to play things safe. I make sure that prey is eaten and dispatched before leaving it. It's something I've been doing from the start.
I'm sure a tarantula can dig up a tasty surprise later on, but what if it doesn't. Thinking it did, you toss in another. And another, and so on.
I'm a control freak, it has to be eaten, or it comes out.
john
This is my feeling, too. I have heard too many horror stories about worms not being eaten and later turning the tables by eating the tarantulas. I either contain the worms or feed them from the forceps.

Joy