burrowing mealworms and slings

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
hey guys, I recently fed my 1.5in. lp sling two mealworms by mistake and wasnt sure if it would eat both but I dropped one in and then another on accident. It immediately went over to the second one (while the first one was in it's mouth) and picked it up then of them fell. To keep it short I took my eyes off of it a split second and saw the other one on the ground gone and was curious if it could have possibly eaten both at the same time or should I take out the dirt and check it for the mealworm. thx in advance im new to the hobby and this is my first t :)

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I've had Ts take 2 or 3 prey items at the same time so it is possible that the sling could have picked up the second worm again, but it's also possible the worm could have burrowed...they are quite fast. It's best to crush their heads before feeding so they can't. For myself if I didn't know for sure I would check to see if it was in the substrate and risk stressing the T rather than have it eaten during molting by a hungry mealworm or beetle.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I've had Ts take 2 or 3 prey items at the same time so it is possible that the sling could have picked up the second worm again, but it's also possible the worm could have burrowed...they are quite fast. It's best to crush their heads before feeding so they can't. For myself if I didn't know for sure I would check to see if it was in the substrate and risk stressing the T rather than have it eaten during molting by a hungry mealworm or beetle.
alright yea thats what i was thinking, thx. cus i had no idea they could eat two things at once how cool

cold blood

Staff member
1. At 1.5", 1 mealworm is a huge meal...two is ridicolous....I would feed 1/2 of a mealie to a 1.5" t.

2. Never ever just drop mealworms or supers into an enclosure without first crushing heads. A burrowed mealworm will eat your t next molt.

Whatever you do, you need to make sure the second isnt roaming the substrate.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
1. At 1.5", 1 mealworm is a huge meal...two is ridicolous....I would feed 1/2 of a mealie to a 1.5" t.

2. Never ever just drop mealworms or supers into an enclosure without first crushing heads. A burrowed mealworm will eat your t next molt.

sorry i didnt specify lol its about 2 inches dls and they were baby mealworms

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Better safe with an unhappy T than sorry with a dead eaten T. Definitely check the substrate to be sure. while the T is eating, it should be content enough to be placed in a temp catch cup while you go through the substrate.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
yea you're right :) i'll check today and let you all know what i find thx for all the help.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have 2 options, leave it in, or remove it. Why the hesitation??

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Your right lol but mostly because I wasn't sure if I saw two small mealworms in it's mouth (because I didn't know it was possible) but the good news is I scavenged through it and found nothing :) flicked a few hairs but I was prepared and im sure it will appreciate it in the long run.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

I’ve gotten nipped by both of these id imagine even in larvae form they could injure a T if it’s small.
Those beetles are a terror people lose Ts to them . Big teeth !!
I never let them escape regardless how big a T is. Crushed heads is good plan, tho I rarely use them .

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I’ve gotten nipped by both of these id imagine even in larvae form they could injure a T if it’s small.
Those beetles are a terror people lose Ts to them . Big teeth !!
I never let them escape regardless how big a T is. Crushed heads is good plan, tho I rarely use them .
yea thx :) crushed is the way to go from now on.