Burrowing cricket

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
What the heck do I do in this situation. I know if I start digging around for it the T will tag the tongs, and possibly run up them.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Cup the spider in the tank, do what you need to do, and then take the cup back. No biggie.

In the future, may want to start crushing the heads to avoid this.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Yeah, crushing the heads is the best way, crickets can be a nightmare

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Crushing heads is unneeded with large hungry spiders.

This is exactly why there's a ladder system people recommend. Being scared to do maintenance for a spider because you're scared of it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
True, once I have a refusal this is when I start crushing heads
Waste of time imo. I crush heads when I'm feeding juvis or slings. Not adults. Great way to waste feeders. I don't do it with superworms either. I'm just intelligent enough to watch to make sure the spider ests ests before it burrows.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I only pre-kill for slings or juvies that are finicky eaters, there's pretty much no need for it otherwise.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I crush the heads of superworms, but if I'm using large crickets I go mafioso on them and break or remove at least one of their back legs. They won't burrow, and the T maybe only loses a drumstick, and that's not the good part anyway (when it comes to crickets).

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
What the heck do I do in this situation. I know if I start digging around for it the T will tag the tongs, and possibly run up them.
If the cricket is still out if reach, use a catch cup to contain the spider while you dig the cricket out then release it when completed.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Crushing heads is unneeded with large hungry spiders.

This is exactly why there's a ladder system people recommend. Being scared to do maintenance for a spider because you're scared of it.
He was kind of pawned off on me I didn't go and buy him. Someone didn't want him anymore and didn't know what to do so I took him. I didn't plan on jumping from super docile species to one of the most agressive.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Turns out he actually ate it, woke up this morning to see it in his mouth. Thanks for the help guys, I will probably start pulling legs off crickets XD

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Waste of time imo. I crush heads when I'm feeding juvis or slings. Not adults. Great way to waste feeders. I don't do it with superworms either. I'm just intelligent enough to watch to make sure the spider ests ests before it burrows.
Gotta say, I still crush the heads of every single dubia I put in for a feeder. But I also don't stand around and watch every takedown. I feed everyone that may need it, and remove uneaten dubia a few days later. Crushing the heads literally takes a second at most, not like it adds any time onto the feeding. Plus, it prevents them (and mealworms) from burrowing. If anything, crushing the heads actually saves time by not needing to monitor the feeder in case it bolts/burrows.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Gotta say, I still crush the heads of every single dubia I put in for a feeder. But I also don't stand around and watch every takedown. I feed everyone that may need it, and remove uneaten dubia a few days later. Crushing the heads literally takes a second at most, not like it adds any time onto the feeding. Plus, it prevents them (and mealworms) from burrowing. If anything, crushing the heads actually saves time by not needing to monitor the feeder in case it bolts/burrows.
I crush mealworm heads almost 100% of the time. I agree, no need to lolligag. Those spiders that still est mealworms also take prekilled still.

Supers only go to bigger spiders that don't take prekilled well anymore.

Keep on mind I don't have a large colony of feeders. So if I can save a few feeders for later, I will.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Keep on mind I don't have a large colony of feeders. So if I can save a few feeders for later, I will.
Oh, I thought that you had a dubia colony? Then yeah, I can understand not wanting to waste feeders.