Burned wood in pede enclosure?

AZCeptipede

Arachnosquire
Hi, I was wondering if it's ok to have burned wood in a pede enclosure. I found a nice piece of wood after I had a fire and I think it looks really nice in the tank but I down want to end up killing or harming them. Thanks for any advice!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Burnt wood is basically charcoal, correct? I occasionally come across little chunks of botanical charcoal in the soil I use as substrate. I don't think it can do insects any harm as long as it has not been treated with anything horrible and is not currently still on fire i e smoldering Embers. :cigar:

AZCeptipede

Arachnosquire
Glad to hear it, thank you! It's organic wood that I burned without any chemicals so I think it should be fine.

NYAN

Arachnoking
It depends on then wood, burned or not. Certain woods can be toxic to inverts. Would you happen to know what kind of wood it is?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I would use it in a T or pede enclosure as they will only use it as a hide. Many use grape wood, and burning will not make it dangerous to inverts.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
The only time I will not use grape wood is when I'm going to submerge it. It develops a manky film on it under water that can't be good for wildlife and certainly is unsightly. :clown:

AZCeptipede

Arachnosquire
The only time I will not use grape wood is when I'm going to submerge it. It develops a manky film on it under water that can't be good for wildlife and certainly is unsightly. :clown:
I've had grape wood mold in my enclosures before but I'm trying to keep it in a less moist area.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avoid aromatic woods and resinous woods. The aromatic oils (such as in cedar) are there because they are toxic to insects, and can be bad for other animals as well.