Bumblebee centipede

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That wasn't intentionally misinformation. I myself have centipedes that enter their water bowls and rest for long periods. I've sexed 'pedes using water and can confirm that many species not found by water are able to swim and be active underwater for a long time. I don't doubt that other species would take advantage of water to hide. But in the wild, I don't think many species would actively enter water as much as the one I saw in that video. Even if it was placed there or chased into the water, it was in a position that seemed to suggest it was comfortable in even fast-flowing water. From other photos and anecdotal evidence it seems their habitat is by creeks and streams. The man who collects these 'pedes in the wild and probably has a great deal of experience with them calls them water centipedes.

But, I could be wrong. Anything based on only observations made from others' pictures and video isn't the same as seeing the centipede or the habitat yourself. I'm in no position to make solid statements on things I haven't experienced, these are just guesses based on very little information.
When was cataracta even reported to hunt underwater I would like to know, all the reports were that it was suspected to to that, basically the H gigas of the centipede world
Like mich said, the guy has been trying to sell them off for the past 2 years and all of a sudden they hide underwater and swim? He tried offering me some before as well and never mentioned these traits.
Have you seen a centipede curled up in a tight space, submerge it and it won’t move, heck one of my subspinipes was curled up on a dry leaf and I put the leaf underwater and it stayed in the same position without moving

Last edited:

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
When was cataracta even reported to hunt underwater I would like to know, all the reports were that it was suspected to to that, basically the H gigas of the centipede world
Like mich said, the guy has been trying to sell them off for the past 2 years and all of a sudden they hide underwater and swim? He tried offering me some before as well and never mentioned these traits.
Have you seen a centipede curled up in a tight space, submerge it and it won’t move, heck one of my subspinipes was curled up on a dry leaf and I put the leaf underwater and it stayed in the same position without moving
I was always critical about that and I never believed there is an amphibic centipede. So it's interesting to hear that.

Last edited:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
News to me about the Philippine species and the guy who sells them. Thanks to both of you for letting me know that. It's a shame that, as you said, he may be giving out misinformation about them in order to sell them.

And yes, I am fully aware that most centipedes can handle being in water quite well, whether at rest or swimming.

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
Me and my friend were talking about the Philippine mint legs that are supposedly "aquatic". I'm told that it's a really hard centipede to keep cause they live really close to the water and they need their enclosure to have small puddles of water, kinda like the shoreline to a stream or else they won't do well. I've also seen pictures of people keeping them in facebook where they keep them in very moist setups like the how it would be close to the stream which kinda makes me think that they do probably have some kind of life with the water.

For the Sulawesi sp, I've heard there's only a few individuals in the States and I got to see them in person at a reptile expo. Really cool looking centipedes and also really really fast too. Even though it wasn't for sale, a Chinese foreigner bought it for $400 and it was really hard to believe he would actually buy something that is probably not described yet as I can find no information about these pedes from Sualwesi.

the league of shadows

Arachnopeon
Me and my friend were talking about the Philippine mint legs that are supposedly "aquatic". I'm told that it's a really hard centipede to keep cause they live really close to the water and they need their enclosure to have small puddles of water, kinda like the shoreline to a stream or else they won't do well. I've also seen pictures of people keeping them in facebook where they keep them in very moist setups like the how it would be close to the stream which kinda makes me think that they do probably have some kind of life with the water.

For the Sulawesi sp, I've heard there's only a few individuals in the States and I got to see them in person at a reptile expo. Really cool looking centipedes and also really really fast too. Even though it wasn't for sale, a Chinese foreigner bought it for $400 and it was really hard to believe he would actually buy something that is probably not described yet as I can find no information about these pedes from Sualwesi.
Wow thats interesting and wow $400

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Tell me about it, that's equally as much as a scolopendra gigantea. If we get more coming in the States somehow, hopefully someone figures out how to breed them cause these are really awesome looking pedes.
I know someone attempting pairings but no success for now. I wish him luck as they’re amazing.

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

No information online? There’s at least two papers with it one in 2010 another in 2016, general consensus was that they’re subspinipes for the time being.

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
No information online? There’s at least two papers with it one in 2010 another in 2016, general consensus was that they’re subspinipes for the time being.
I chose my choice of words wrongly sorry, I meant there's no information about their life style. I talked to the person who sold the sulawesi and he told me that it doesn't burrow at all, it just hides under the cork bark. With the legs being long we theorized that it's possibly arboreal which is a possibility since he showed me a video of the pede crawling down a tree at a amazing speed with ease so we concluded it's possibly semi arboreal due to the swiftness of it crawling on the tree. I'm no expert but I'm very passionate about the hobby so I try to gain any knowledge when found:)

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
I know someone attempting pairings but no success for now. I wish him luck as they’re amazing.
I think I may know who you're talking about lol. Wish there's more information about their lifestyle cause they're really cool looking centipedes, it's interesting to me that a lot of the arthropods on Sulawesi have yellow coloration making me wonder what's the environment like other than knowing it as a rain forest in Asia.

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I chose my choice of words wrongly sorry, I meant there's no information about their life style. I talked to the person who sold the sulawesi and he told me that it doesn't burrow at all, it just hides under the cork bark. With the legs being long we theorized that it's possibly arboreal which is a possibility since he showed me a video of the pede crawling down a tree at a amazing speed with ease so we concluded it's possibly semi arboreal due to the swiftness of it crawling on the tree. I'm no expert but I'm very passionate about the hobby so I try to gain any knowledge when found:)
All of mine burrow, they’re not aboreal, I’ve seen their habitat and in situ specimens. They like to lie on large boulders at night

Andrew101

Arachnopeon
All of mine burrow, they’re not aboreal, I’ve seen their habitat and in situ specimens. They like to lie on large boulders at night
That's good to know! Do they live mostly on these rock formations or boulders? I would love to know more details of the habitat they live in.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I think I may know who you're talking about lol. Wish there's more information about their lifestyle cause they're really cool looking centipedes, it's interesting to me that a lot of the arthropods on Sulawesi have yellow coloration making me wonder what's the environment like other than knowing it as a rain forest in Asia.
We’re definitely talking about the same guy. I didn’t know you picked one up. Congrats.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I wish I could go to the expo but It’s like 3-4 hours away. I’ll be at the repticon next month though.