Bulding my first Vivarium!

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Well as I'm in the market for a few amblypygids at the moment, I'll let you know when I get mine, so that I may brag... Just kidding I'll just alert you so that you may see the photos. Scorpions are actually pretty great. Uropygi's are nice as well.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Well as I'm in the market for a few amblypygids at the moment, I'll let you know when I get mine, so that I may brag... Just kidding I'll just alert you so that you may see the photos. Scorpions are actually pretty great. Uropygi's are nice as well.
Cool thanks :D if I get one I'll probably get that book someone mentioned on here "Breeding the World's Largest Arachnid" or something. It seems that it would have more reliable info than I can find online :)

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
Not spot cleaning, but COMPLETE cleaning would be easier.
IMO spot cleaning/feeding/watering is what needs to be made easier, deep cleaning can be as much of a pain as you want it to be--the tarantula isn't in there, after all. You are going to be opening the whole cage every time you need to do anything minor--maybe consider a feeding/watering/hemostat port of some sort? You could even incorporate a coaster into the hatch and disguise it completely if you went the living room/end table display route ;)

Other than the possibility of one bolting out, what other problems would the lid pose for a terrestrial?
That's all I was thinking, but it's significant enough for me to always plan my lids/doors such that I only open a portion.

Food for thought :)

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
IMO spot cleaning/feeding/watering is what needs to be made easier, deep cleaning can be as much of a pain as you want it to be--the tarantula isn't in there, after all. You are going to be opening the whole cage every time you need to do anything minor--maybe consider a feeding/watering/hemostat port of some sort? You could even incorporate a coaster into the hatch and disguise it completely if you went the living room/end table display route ;)

That's all I was thinking, but it's significant enough for me to always plan my lids/doors such that I only open a portion.

Food for thought :)
I was playing with the idea of putting a hinge on the middle and splitting the lid in half. I'll make a thingy on SketchUp to show you guys and you can tell me what you think! This way only half of the lid will open at a time

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Cool thanks :D if I get one I'll probably get that book someone mentioned on here "Breeding the World's Largest Arachnid" or something. It seems that it would have more reliable info than I can find online :)
Ah get that book. E&A would be proud. incase your unaware fellow member here on AB, E&A (Elytra & Antenna), wrote that book. you wont be disappointed. And incase your interested, the amblypygid he was breeding was Acanthrophrynus Coronatus if i recall. Also that book doesnt have too much on care if i remember. BUT he does have a FANTASTIC book on care by a different title.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Ah get that book. E&A would be proud. incase your unaware fellow member here on AB, E&A (Elytra & Antenna), wrote that book. you wont be disappointed. And incase your interested, the amblypygid he was breeding was Acanthrophrynus Coronatus if i recall. Also that book doesnt have too much on care if i remember. BUT he does have a FANTASTIC book on care by a different title.
Then I'll get whichever E&A wrote for care then :laugh:

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
I hate to be that guy but have you ever seen harry potter? in one of the movies they used an amblypygid. The enclosure I have set up for mine is very lovely. Im sort of setting it up as a display animal. or at least when its night time :)

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I hate to be that guy but have you ever seen harry potter? in one of the movies they used an amblypygid. The enclosure I have set up for mine is very lovely. Im sort of setting it up as a display animal. or at least when its night time :)
Now that I think about it, wasn't it one of the creatures used to help a student breathe under water in the Goblet of Fire? :D

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
nope. it was when the weirdo with the eye problem was teaching them the forbidden magic. lol i forget his name.