Bulding my first Vivarium!

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Ok! So I've decided to change the design a bit, so it is now a much more visually appealing terrestrial enclosure rather than an aboreal enclosure. I've also figured out how to use SketchUp and made a nice 3D visual.

Question for Disquiet: is there a way to take a screen shot so that I can share my diagram on the thread?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok! So I've decided to change the design a bit, so it is now a much more visually appealing terrestrial enclosure rather than an aboreal enclosure. I've also figured out how to use SketchUp and made a nice 3D visual.

Question for Disquiet: is there a way to take a screen shot so that I can share my diagram on the thread?
If you have Windows 7 you can use Windows Snipping Tool.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
ah windows 8. they took a decent os, and mucked it all up. I might be alone here but I highly dislike windows 8. i believe sketchup has a screenshot correct? if not just grab your phone and ghetto screenshot. Good luck!

Also i have a dremel ad i love it! what dremel do you have?

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
ah windows 8. they took a decent os, and mucked it all up. I might be alone here but I highly dislike windows 8. i believe sketchup has a screenshot correct? if not just grab your phone and ghetto screenshot. Good luck!

Also i have a dremel ad i love it! what dremel do you have?
Oh how I hate ghetto pictures Lol I have 6.OS

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Why haven't you googled screenshot and windows 8 ???? I already know how to do it and I don't even have Windows 8, EMPOWER yourself, EMBRACE the GOOGLE !
I don't want to embrace the google!!!!!!! I'm an independant woman!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't want to embrace the google!!!!!!! I'm an independant woman!
Ah, but asking someone here how to do a screenshot in Win8 is independent, shame on you Mayor of Shanty Town! :biggrin: I didn't know how, and I looked up on google, that's independence ;P.

That looks really neat. It looks like an end table for a couch, that would be cool for a display. as long as it's not on some cold, drafty floor.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
That looks really neat. It looks like an end table for a couch, that would be cool for a display. as long as it's not on some cold, drafty floor.
It wouldn't have space for very many coaters, being only about 10" or 11" :laugh:

The top just comes on and off without latching, but I expect it too be to heavy for a T to lift. The real challenge will be deciding what will inhabit it. Maybe a Rosea RCF. I never actully realized how pretty and pink they are until I saw my friend's :D or maybe my N. Chromatus when he's a big boy or girl :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It wouldn't have space for very many coaters, being only about 10" or 11" :laugh:

The top just comes on and off without latching, but I expect it too be to heavy for a T to lift. The real challenge will be deciding what will inhabit it. Maybe a Rosea RCF. I never actully realized how pretty and pink they are until I saw my friend's :D or maybe my N. Chromatus when he's a big boy or girl :D
That design is set up for an arboreal species, as opposed to being long.

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
It wouldn't have space for very many coasters, being only about 10" or 11"
Not to mention the fact that placing stuff on the top repeatedly would be extremely stressful for whatever's inside.

Edit: You obviously figured it out, but for anyone else who hates Google, using the Print Screen button on your keyboard + pasting the image into Paint works like a dream.

Edit II: How do your sliding glass doors work with the edging around the top? I imagine they are set inside the molding?

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What do you mean? After adding substrate it will only be 6 or 7 inches high and about 9"x9" of floor space
Oh I didn't see any dimensions. That's true, I had forgotten about the sub. You know if you had only used to that spiffy program to label things, I would have realized this. Clearly an oversight on your part HAHAHAHHA ;)

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Edit II: How do your sliding glass doors work with the edging around the top? I imagine they are set inside the molding?
The top just lifts off (a potential problem if I were going to put an aboreal inside) like a lid. The sliding panals can't come off unless the lid is also off, they're more of an extra to make cleaning easier :)

---------- Post added 01-02-2014 at 07:28 PM ----------

Oh I didn't see any dimensions. That's true, I had forgotten about the sub. You know if you had only used to that spiffy program to label things, I would have realized this. Clearly an oversight on your part HAHAHAHHA ;)
Well I didn't feel like it! As mayor of Shanty Town, I have the right to do whatever the heck I want and to NOT do whatever the heck I don't.

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
The top just lifts off (a potential problem if I were going to put an aboreal inside) like a lid. The sliding panals can't come off unless the lid is also off, they're more of an extra to make cleaning easier :)
How does it make cleaning easier if you still have to remove the top? Which, BTW, could be a problem with a terrestrial also. Looks good so far though, glad you are finding SketchUp useful :)

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
How does it make cleaning easier if you still have to remove the top? Which, BTW, could be a problem with a terrestrial also. Looks good so far though, glad you are finding SketchUp useful :)
Not spot cleaning, but COMPLETE cleaning would be easier. The panals slide into grooves along all sides, including the bottom. When removed, there won't be a lip for the substrate to get stuck on. It will make changing to substrate easier. The problem the lid would pose with an aboreal would have to do with disturbing the webbing. Other than the possibility of one bolting out, what other problems would the lid pose for a terrestrial?

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
Could always get an amblypygid though. Oh amblypygi, how beautiful art thou... Oh Nate get over your self lol. Serious though you could check out some other Arachnids or maybe a smallish gecko.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Could always get an amblypygid though. Oh amblypygi, how beautiful art thou... Oh Nate get over your self lol. Serious though you could check out some other Arachnids or maybe a smallish gecko.
I saw one of those in John3800's feeding videos. They. Are. AWESOME. I'm not much for scorpions, but the tailless whipper-snappers are VERY cool. That is a very good suggestion. I can picture it already....

As for the gecko, I prefer glass enclosures for reptiles :)