Bulding my first Vivarium!

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Ooo you are up??? No, google Formica...you'll see. You "glue" it down on top of wood. Though I THINK some are self adhesive too.

yeah, that's what I think about a door..slamming shut. I'm just not sure if sliding up/down is better. If you slide up the top panel, but only part way, how will it stay up??

In Shanty Town the walls fell down, and not from parties ;) hahahhahh
That sounds interesting I'll have to check it out.

If i only need to open a small crack, then I'll most likely just use the top piece, which won't be affected by gravity ;) now though I think I should add some handles to the sliding pieces...

I can see the town slogan now: "Shanty Town! Where parties aren't the only thing that go down!" :D

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
You should consider downloading SketchUp for your blueprinting and/or diagramming (freeware). Modeling in 3D is really the only way to go--being able to pan around the enclosure, create measurement notations, and account for material width in an easy way makes fabricating an enclosure so much easier.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
You should consider downloading SketchUp for your blueprinting and/or diagramming (freeware). Modeling in 3D is really the only way to go--being able to pan around the enclosure, create measurement notations, and account for material width in an easy way makes fabricating an enclosure so much easier.
I just got done downloading it, now I just have to figure out how to use the darn thing! x)

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
It takes a little getting used to, especially the click to start/click to stop mechanism (instead of dragging).

I start by making the base (square tool, click, pull, values separated by a comma, enter) and push/pulling it into the y-axis (push/pull tool, click the surface, pull, enter material thickness, enter). Select the entire "piece" to create a component--you don't have to include this step, but I recommend it. Otherwise it'll be too easy to accidentally push/pull or skew as you work on the rest of the diagram. Then I go around the edge and create markers for the sides, e.g. if the material is 3/4" thick, I go around and mark 3/4" in from each corner. Then I "square tool" from component edge to the marker (auto-precision FTW!), and push/pull to create each side piece (click the surface, pull, enter height, enter).

I really cannot stress enough the click, pull, enter value trick. You will love it.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
It takes a little getting used to, especially the click to start/click to stop mechanism (instead of dragging).

I start by making the base (square tool, click, pull, values separated by a comma, enter) and push/pulling it into the y-axis (push/pull tool, click the surface, pull, enter material thickness, enter). Select the entire "piece" to create a component--you don't have to include this step, but I recommend it. Otherwise it'll be too easy to accidentally push/pull or skew as you work on the rest of the diagram. Then I go around the edge and create markers for the sides, e.g. if the material is 3/4" thick, I go around and mark 3/4" in from each corner. Then I "square tool" from component edge to the marker (auto-precision FTW!), and push/pull to create each side piece (click the surface, pull, enter height, enter).

I really cannot stress enough the click, pull, enter value trick. You will love it.
The enter value part is what I was trying to figure out :) I'll play around with it when I have some time later. I have this cool Architecture program thing too, I just have to find the disk lol idk how well it will work with small builds, theoretically it should work...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That sounds interesting I'll have to check it out.

If i only need to open a small crack, then I'll most likely just use the top piece, which won't be affected by gravity ;) now though I think I should add some handles to the sliding pieces...

I can see the town slogan now: "Shanty Town! Where parties aren't the only thing that go down!" :D
HAHAHAAHAH, you are hilarious ;) If I understand the top piece slides towards you. Hmm. I think having 2 open points is super useful. A top, and a front door, not just the front or top. Either way you want access from either

That's some really cool software!! Though I have to ask, how is it the only way to go??? It just adds more work and time for a project of this nature. I can draw out plans way faster than using a piece of software, not including the time spent learning how to use it, potentially asking questions and waiting for answers. I pan around in my mind hahah. Paper and Pen, it never crashes. Seeing as you have used this software, how does it allow you to account for material width any better than drawing it out, 5mm is the same on a computer or on paper?

jhoagland

Arachnopeon
Looking and sounding great! Viper sent me to the dendroboards and I like an idiot have joined so I can really follow the builds there. It is like Alice in Wonderland there. One build is at a hundred and seven pages now. Fifteen foot by five foot by three foot tall...Yeah, makes me feel like a piker now. Any way, good on you and for you. Rock on fellow Carolinian!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looking and sounding great! Viper sent me to the dendroboards and I like an idiot have joined so I can really follow the builds there. It is like Alice in Wonderland there. One build is at a hundred and seven pages now. Fifteen foot by five foot by three foot tall...Yeah, makes me feel like a piker now. Any way, good on you and for you. Rock on fellow Carolinian!
Please give the link to that one!

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
That's some really cool software!! Though I have to ask, how is it the only way to go??? It just adds more work and time for a project of this nature. I can draw out plans way faster than using a piece of software, not including the time spent learning how to use it, potentially asking questions and waiting for answers. I pan around in my mind hahah. Paper and Pen, it never crashes. Seeing as you have used this software, how does it allow you to account for material width any better than drawing it out, 5mm is the same on a computer or on paper?
Well for me, since this was my first time ever building a tank from scratch, a program that would allow me to model the enclosure as a whole to my desired dimensions and then calculate component dimensions for me was really helpful. Now that I have some experience, I may not rely on it as heavily. I did find that it helped me troubleshoot the final construction, ventilation, and such before cutting my materials--again, part of the learning process and now I may not need that. I also appreciated having a single 3D diagram that was super precise and to scale. And as for the time and effort involved in learning the software, I found the tutorials on the website to be perfectly sufficient--plus it's pretty darn intuitive anyway and you only have to learn how to use it once. I personally enjoy the whole process of building an enclosure, it's not just about the finished product, so the extra time and effort involved in using the program is irrelevant.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for that. The reef setup he had, man, several, several thousands of dollars in equipment alone. MUST BE NICE! It's beautiful. The freshwater build he's keeping species from all over the world in the same setup. It's pretty for sure!!

Every time I look at that site my mouth waters with what they create, from the USA posts to the European posts, it's really amazing. That forum, naturally, is so in depth on the plants, substrate, microfauna etc, everything for a miniature rain forest in a tank. I particularly like that the dendroboard is often pic heavy. It makes understanding builds much easier, like that guy on here doing that large one.

Last edited:

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
Thanks for sharing that link, I'm wading through all 100+ pages right now--good stuff!

Edit: After reading further, I do have to say that I disagree with many of Energy's methods, namely, some grave mistakes were made on his part in regards to properly protecting the creatures in the viv from themselves (the discus and the anoles come to mind). His argument that those deaths were merely the result of animals "living and dying by their own decisions" is completely absurd IMO. Responsible keepers of any captive animals quickly come to understand that a balance must be struck between allowing the animal to "live its life" and protecting the animal from its own poor decisions. To me, this is very similar to people insisting on putting dangerous things in a tarantula enclosure because "they would encounter it in the wild anyway."

Last edited:

jhoagland

Arachnopeon
I was not focusing on his animal husbandry when reading the thread. You have some good points and I think in a tank that large you will have losses no matter what. I've been keeping fish for 25 plus years and still have losses from time to time with fish that just decide they don't like each other anymore. I'm keeping tetras and gouramis. Not really known for aggressive behavior in the fish world. Not like oscars or other cichlids. I'm looking at every single thing I can before I start my humble first attempt at an enclosure. I know that scorps will not always be out to put on a show so, I hope that the enclosure will be pleasant to look at for us as well as any guest that comes over.

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
I was not focusing on his animal husbandry when reading the thread. You have some good points and I think in a tank that large you will have losses no matter what. I've been keeping fish for 25 plus years and still have losses from time to time with fish that just decide they don't like each other anymore. I'm keeping tetras and gouramis. Not really known for aggressive behavior in the fish world. Not like oscars or other cichlids. I'm looking at every single thing I can before I start my humble first attempt at an enclosure. I know that scorps will not always be out to put on a show so, I hope that the enclosure will be pleasant to look at for us as well as any guest that comes over.
I totally agree, some losses are inevitable in a multi-species tank that large. I think effort needs to be put into preventing preventable deaths, though. I mean, he lost all his anoles to the fans in the enclosure and basically said it was their own fault for running into them--I can't really see the logic there. I definitely plan to use some of the other methods described--the guy obviously knows a ton about large tank set-up--just with my own husbandry practices instead. That thread, and DendroBoards (which I joined), are both great resources!

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Any updates on this build?
Not yet heheh. I got a dremel for Christmas (WooHoo!) But it doesn't come with batteries x) I still have sanding to do and I'm actually considering changing the design a bit so that there are more sides made of plexi and it will be more visually appealing. In the mean time, though, I'll go ahead and post a pic of Sass Master the OBT's enclosure after today's redecorating :)

---------- Post added 12-28-2013 at 10:25 PM ----------

Here you go :)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?257834-New-OBT-Enclosure/page2