Building three new glass tropical enclosures (foto report)

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
So finally I have free week. Decided to spend some time building new terrariums. I will make some kind foto report about my progress, so you can see how it is going. If you have some advice or questions feel free to ask;)

Glass arrived:

Some of my stuff that I use for decoration :

What I made so far :

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
So finally I have free week. Decided to spend some time building new terrariums. I will make some kind foto report about my progress, so you can see how it is going. If you have some advice or questions feel free to ask;)

Glass arrived:

Some of my stuff that I use for decoration :

What I made so far :

Out of curiosity, how much does the glass cost for one enclosure?

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
For glass and cutting (no grinding, polishing or anything, I did it myself), for all three terrariums I paid 25$

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Yes, but it isn't expensive:)

Another few hours of work.
I started back walls for smaller terrariums.

Background for bigger one is finished.

And whole enclosure is getting closer to final look.

Laviathan

Arachnopeon
This all looks pretty awesome. Looking forward to see how you put in the airing mesh and the rails for the front glass.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Unbelievable. I wish I could make something even just remotely similar.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
so pretty! what is the water dish made out of? what species are these for?

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Thanks!
Water dish is made from some plastic container, from mp3 player or something, I don't remember. But I don't like square shape, will replace it with something more round;)
Bigger one is for Phormictopus sp. green, smaller for Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan and Avicularia sp. amazonica Manaus.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I had lot of other work and chores lately so only a small update. But I hope tomorrow I will be able to finish this two.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. amazonica Manaus
It has a species name now, but you may know that already. A. variegata

Curious, why did you use expanded clay balls in the bottom? I usually only see that with Dart Frog setups.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Curious, why did you use expanded clay balls in the bottom? I usually only see that with Dart Frog setups.
it is the drainage layer for bioactive vivaria. it holds the water so they substrate doesnt become saturated. it is mostly used for bioactive vivaria, which work very, VERY, well for dart frogs. it also works well for most other high humidity animals like some geckos (cresteds, gargoyles, leachies, chahouas, mourning geckos, etc) it can also be used for other terrariums that have live plants, however, I wouldn't use it for a fossorial (burrowing) species, as they can dig into the drainage layer or the substrate barrier (used to keep the substrate out of the drainage layer

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it is the drainage layer for bioactive vivaria. it holds the water so they substrate doesnt become saturated. it is mostly used for bioactive vivaria, which work very, VERY, well for dart frogs. it also works well for most other high humidity animals like some geckos (cresteds, gargoyles, leachies, chahouas, mourning geckos, etc) it can also be used for other terrariums that have live plants, however, I wouldn't use it for a fossorial (burrowing) species, as they can dig into the drainage layer or the substrate barrier (used to keep the substrate out of the drainage layer

Yep indeed, I know all of that, in part by my reference to dart frogs.

However, your response does not tell me why the OP is using it, unless you can read minds? :astronaut:

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
It has a species name now, but you may know that already. A. variegata
Oh, actually I didn't know. I never was really into Avicularia genus, so I don't follow all the changes.

About clay balls. Yes, I wanted to create kind of drainage, in case I overdo with watering, there will be no damp spots on the bottom. Another reason is that i bought really big bag of it;) Now I am using it every where;P This kind of drainage layer isn't really necessary for T enclosures (unless planted), but I guess it can't hurt, also makes whole terrarium a bit lighter. This time I did it a little bit different. Instead putting some plastic net to separate substrate from drainage I just put a thin layer of sphagnum moss. Because I am sure Chilobrachys will dig to the bottom, I don't want to get him stuck under net or something.
Another new idea was to crate some drainage/ventilation holes in the bottom.

But I didn't made too many enclosures yet, so I am still experimenting a little bit. How all this will work I will find out in month or two, when Ts will be ready to move to this terrariums.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
And the last two are finished also.

For Chilbrachys I didn't pay to much attention to details, it will cover it with dirt and web anyway. But I am really interested how it will rearrange setup.

And for Avi.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
can't wait to see how they web with all those anchor points