Bugmom's Tarantulas

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I'll start off with my Heteroscodra maculata sling, "Pogo the Togo" Starburst Baboon. Just got it in today. Speedy little thing! Already attempted an escape. When not trying to give me a heart attack, he/she sits around looking like a dustbunny :laugh:

My camera isn't all that great, and the flash makes everything look darker and/or wetter than it is. I can't get the dang flash to turn off though. The H. mac is much more of a light gray than the pictures show.
View attachment 106376

View attachment 106375
Also came today: Lasiodora parahybana sling, AKA Brazilian Salmon Pink. Does.not.stop.moving. It's the Energizer bunny of spiders. I hope it doesn't move that quick when it's an adult :o_O:
View attachment 106377

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
And now for "Baldi," my big pretty Aphonopelma chalcodes. Very docile, but will throw her legs up if she's in a grumpy mood. (Guessing on the "she" part, no molt yet, and given a chalcode's lifespan... well, I'm not holding my breath for one anytime soon.)

View attachment 106385

Grooming herself. Look at that fang!
View attachment 106386

Bald butts are all the rage this year.
View attachment 106387

I don't even know what this was about.
View attachment 106388

Sitting in my hand.
View attachment 106389

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Very nice. :D

Maybe the wall insulted her? lol
It was right after I'd put crickets in her tank (my first time feeding her). Tossed two in. One walked by her, and she put her leg on it, and just held the cricket there, like "Stop. Just, stop." Did that for like 10 minutes, then let it go. Then she did the weird standing thing, then munched both crickets.
Your chalcodes is absolutely beautiful!
Thanks! I'm rather smitten :)

Risky

Arachnosquire
Nice looking T's! BTW, what camera are you using? Is it a point and shoot? I can probably help you disable the flash.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Nice looking T's! BTW, what camera are you using? Is it a point and shoot? I can probably help you disable the flash.
No it's a Nikon D40.

Blame Tapatalk + "smart" phone for the typos kthnx

Risky

Arachnosquire
No it's a Nikon D40.

I'm quite familiar with Nikon cameras, but the D40 isn't one I'm well versed on. However, I did a little research and found some info that should help. It sounds like you are probably shooting in "Auto". While the camera is set in Auto, the integrated flash will automatically pop-up if additional light is needed. However, if you go into the "Flash Mode" you can disable the flash. It should show the flash symbol with a circle and a line through it. There's also another way to avoid the flash from popping up. You can shoot in P,S,A or M mode - just turn the dial. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
P, S, A and M modes don't have anything to do with the flash. Those relate to aperture, shutter speed, image balance, etc. You still have to manually disable the auto flash on any setting except if you choose "auto flash off" on the dial. I primarily shoot in Close Up mode. While not as good as some other forum members (with likely far more $ invested in their cameras), I've taken some amazing photos with this one.

Anyway. I hadn't ever had a reason to manually adjust the flash as most of my photos didn't need the flash disabled, so it wasn't something I recalled off the top of my head (I did look it up in the user manual). You press the AF button on the side then turn the wheel to choose which setting you want. I remembered the button but forgot the wheel lol.

It's a really nice camera for being an outdated model (crap compared to say a D3100 which is why I say it's not all that great) but I could do without the bulk. Unfortunately my Nikon Coolpix 7900, which I've taken amazing close ups with, is on the fritz and will no longer focus at all. I'm hoping for a macro lens for the D40 for Xmas.

Risky

Arachnosquire
I understand what P,S,A and M modes are. From what I read, the D40 will not pop-up the flash if you are in those modes. So they have everything to do with the flash. Then again I suppose you can't always trust what is read online or even in a manual. I remember reading in the D700 manual about how you cannot exceed 1/320th using the integrated commander. I even called Nikon and they "confirmed" it. With a little tinkering I got it to 1/8000th.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
The manual states that you choose your shooting mode (including P, S, A and M), then your flash mode. I tried the camera in those modes without manually disabling the flash, just to be sure, and the flash still flashed.

tarantulalover9

Arachnopeon
I thought this is waht an Aphonopelma Chalcodes looks like by the way she is still really beautiful aphonopelma_chalcodes_-_desert_blond_707763_thumb.jpg

Bugmom

Arachnolord

Can you find a bigger picture? That one's too small for me to really say.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Guess who is about to molt! It was half this dark a few hours ago. I knew she was in premolt as she became reclusive, super grumpy, and refused food.
View attachment 107000

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Yay! My Minka is in premolt, too. Her abdomen has been jet-black for a week or two. Hope yours molts well!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
This'll be the first molt I get to see, hopefully. Last time (yeeaarrrs ago) I came to find the cast off. Of course, I'm going out of town Friday-Monday, so naturally, she is going to molt then. I just know it lol. She's getting blacker everyday though so fingers crossed she does it either before Friday or after Monday.
Yay! My Minka is in premolt, too. Her abdomen has been jet-black for a week or two. Hope yours molts well!