User bsshog40's Tarantula Pictures

bsshog40

Arachnopeon
I have been wanting one of these beautiful Goliath T's (Theraphosa sp) for quite some time. I finally got one from backwater reptiles. She came in today. Already active and eating great!
Goliath 7.jpg

Here is her enclosure.

Enclosure.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
finally got one from backwater reptiles.
Apparently you don't read reviews...there's literally no worse place to buy a t from. You are very very lucky your t arrived alive.....I am curious how it was packed when it arrived.

Make sure you keep that sub damp...good luck with your new t!

Welcome to the boards.

bsshog40

Arachnopeon
First off, I'm not an ignorant buyer. I do inquiries on everything I buy. I've learned to check businesses out after 58 yrs. I did read reviews on their facebook page. I saw more 5 star ratings than I seen negative. Most low star ratings were out of stock reps that couldn't get sent. I have been feeding her 1 cricket at a time. She wound up eating 5 for now. She seems to be adapting very well. Here's a pic of what she showed up in. She was sent overnite and I picked her up at the ups store instead of her getting dragged around town til it got to my home. Looked to me that she traveled comfortably. Budged her a little out of the bowl and off she went to the enclosure.

package.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
The container it came in is a complete mess, absolutely cringe worthy packing...very very lucky it survived. I am always shocked at their pack jobs and this one is no different.

It is literally the worst, least reliable t dealer in the entre country, and its not even close.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I did read reviews on their facebook page. I saw more 5 star ratings than I seen negative. Most low star ratings were out of stock reps that couldn't get sent.
Your mileage may vary, but I would be skeptical of reviews posted on any site where the business has editorial control (such as the business's own Web site or Facebook page). They can choose which reviews are visible and are likely not publishing the hundreds of stories where they sent the wrong species, the wrong sex, or killed the tarantula due to their incompetent packaging.

I'm glad you got what you ordered (and it survived), but you are definitely rolling the dice with this this company.

ArachnoDaddy5

Arachnopeon
Your mileage may vary, but I would be skeptical of reviews posted on any site where the business has editorial control (such as the business's own Web site or Facebook page). They can choose which reviews are visible and are likely not publishing the hundreds of stories where they sent the wrong species, the wrong sex, or killed the tarantula due to their incompetent packaging.

I'm glad you got what you ordered (and it survived), but you are definitely rolling the dice with this this company.
I do agree that the way it was packed makes it a miracle that the T arrived intact. Ive never ordered online before, who would you guys recommend to order from?

bsshog40

Arachnopeon
Well I've never ordered online before. I usually like to buy straight from a B&M but they don't sell around here. Thanks on the compliments on the T y'all and not just concentrating on the bad business I bought it from!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really??????????

cold blood

Staff member
I do agree that the way it was packed makes it a miracle that the T arrived intact. Ive never ordered online before, who would you guys recommend to order from?
most sellers speacalizing in ts are reliable, our classifieds are full of super reliable sellers from dealees to hobby breeders. The nice thing about our classifieds are that each seller is required to have a corresponding review page, which allows buyers to buy with confidence.

The general rule of thumb though, is to buy from sellers specializing in tarantulas....one thing all the worst sellers have in common is that they are reptile speacilists.

You wouldnt buy a new computer from a bike shop, you would buy it from a place dealing in computers...same concept applies here.

Op, dont take offense, rather you should be thankful for the info as it will both prevent repeating a mistake and help you make a more solid choice in the future. We really just want to help, and for someone new to online purchases, this really is the most valuable info you could possibly recieve.

Last edited:

ArachnoDaddy5

Arachnopeon
most sellers speacalizing in ts are reliable, our classifieds are full of super reliable sellers from dealees to hobby breeders. The nice thing about our classifieds are that each seller is required to have a corresponding review page, which allows buyers to buy with confidence.

The general rule of thumb though, is to buy from sellers specializing in tarantulas....one thing all the worst sellers have in common is that they are reptile speacilists.

You wouldnt buy a new computer from a bike shop, you would buy it from a place dealing in computers...same concept applies here.

Op, dont take offense, rather you should be thankful for the info as it will both prevent repeating a mistake and help you make a more solid choice in the future. We really just want to help, and for someone new to online purchases, this really is the most valuable info you could possibly recieve.
Thanks guys!