brown recluse eggsac

coolcars011

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what do to with a brown recluse eggsac???????should i seperate it into its own container, or let it be with its parent, or what!!!!!

1st eggsac,,what to do???????

i heard to seperate it, and leave it by tiself, and let them cannibalize????
is this rite????

How long to hatch

what to feed babies??

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
personally, i'd sell it. people would pay top dollar for an entire eggsack of recluse spiderlings. but i'm a little confused about in what direction you want to go with the eggsack. you ask what to feed them and if you should keep it with the mother, then you ask if you should keep them seperate and let them eat eachother.

EDIT:
RazorRipley said:
I lived on a farm in TN that was crawling with these lil bastards... my dad had a skin graft on his ass from sleeping on one that made its way to the couch. If I knew someone was paying top dollar for these, Id be rich.
well, i obviously meant people who live elsewhere. and "top dollar" is relative toward the product, so even a few bucks can be called top dollar. but by the way your house is infested, you'd become rich anyway.

Last edited:

coolcars011

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i didnt word it write..

write now the eggsac is with its mother..

1....should i just keep it with her mother?
if they stay with there mother-once they hatch, what do i feed them?
do i just feed the mother regularily, and she will feed them, or what????

2..should I take the whole eggsac away from its mother,, in a seperate temperware..and let the eggs hatch,,and should i not feed them for the 1st few molts, because if i leave them all alone in a seperate container without food, they will eat each other..so should i do that???

please answer my questions.and choose 1 or 2..
or suggest a 3 or 4 of your own...

were could i sell the eggsac if i chose so??

hope thats worded better..

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow :eek: ! youre brave! im not usually scared of spiders, ok sure some species arent exactly my ideal pet, but none terrify me as much as the brown recluse. i think this fear was founded by the gruesome pictures ive seen. sorry i couldnt have been more helpful, just came to marvel at your bravery :worship: Personally, id take the eggsac and drive it as far away from home as possible then dump the whole cage out and run away.

coolcars011

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thankyou irishlad,, you shouldnt be so scared, as long as you dont make it mad,,your fine..but i still want a responce on how to raise the eggsac..

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
funny how they make cans of RAID for critters like these. Noone likes a nice rotting flesh would from a little nasty beast like that. :?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's very difficult to actually get bitten by a recluse, and even less likley to have a severe reaction. You have a much better chance of getting struck by lightning.

GENUINE recluse bites are very rare, and serious reactions are rarer still.

Wade

coolcars011

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
,, so i made a hammock thing, with wet moss on teh bottum, and a old T-shirt as a hammock, in a glad temperware, with a tight closing top, and put the whole thing in a shoebox,, so im self incubating the eggsac till it hatches..
im planning on keeping them in that hammock after they hatch to cannabilize,, till few remain...
then i will seperate 3 to keep in seperate vials...and they will be big enough to eat crickets by then?

tell me if im doing the write thing...

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Molitor said:
personally, i'd sell it. people would pay top dollar for an entire eggsack of recluse spiderlings.
I lived on a farm in TN that was crawling with these lil bastards... my dad had a skin graft on his ass from sleeping on one that made its way to the couch. If I knew someone was paying top dollar for these, Id be rich.

coolcars011

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
haha, i dont think they pay that much, just judging from the prices of other stuff in the forsale forum

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
allow me to answer that with something i already said.
Molitor said:
"top dollar" is relative toward the product, so even a few bucks can be called top dollar.
and a sfar as brown recluses go, i'm "pretty" sure a colony is better than an adult.

EDIT: excuse me for learning something different...

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, that isn't what I learned top dollar meant. I thought it meant a premium price. Recluses are inexpensive.

I think it would be more accurate to say that an eggsac may be worth more than just a few slings, but even that statement may not be true. I don't know that there is the market to support that statement. I don't know that you could find a buyer, as in a dealer, for a brown recluse eggsac.

coolcars011

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and molitor, you added that stuff the 1st time, from editing it, what top dollar meant was not on your first post, before you "edited" it..
I agree with elizabeth, i learned it that way too..

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
okay, i did edit it, throw me in jail. i am not used to forums where you are allowed to double-post. but i created the edit before i made my second post here, rest assured. i've made my two cents, don't like it, love it. you may think something else when you hear "top dollar", but you understand what i am saying!

the thing i hate about forum heirarchies based upon post count is that you get ridiculed for having few at the same time you are increasing.

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welllllllllllllllll, oooooooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! :}

It would be a bit easier to understand you if you post thoughts added later in later posts. Welcome to AB forums!

Belarius

Arachnopeon
Old Timer
RazorRipley said:

Speaking of skin grafts:

http://www.surviveoutdoors.com/emergency/spiderbites_recluse.asp

Please tell me they're exaggerating. We got lots of brown recluse spiders in our area too. I don't want a skin graft on my ass! :(

Last edited:

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have grown up in the country and have lots of access to these kinds of arachnids, fire head centipedes, black widows, brown recluse, and which ever T is native to central texas.

I never knew people actually collected and would breed the more poisonous speicies of spiders. Well when i go out of town this week i will keep an eye out for some of these :-D

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like I said earlier, these spiders freak me out. Personally, I dont think they are that attractive so I dont really see their appeal. But since I hate them Im probably a bit biased. And by hate, I mean fear and misunderstand :rolleyes: . Im not really afraid of pain but the whole, skin dying, turning black, and eventually being carved off sorta freaks me out. Which is why Im more afraid of the Brown Recluse than the Black Widow. But then thanks to these godsent links, like this university of california site and this other interesting site, Im now even happier that I live in California than ever. They also may have information for those that dare to keep these spiders. Pretty sure they have some stuff about the eggsacs, but then again I just sorta skimmed it. Ok hope those links help. Well, Im gonna go enjoy living in a Recluse free state now, adios.

Last edited:

N!Nj4_M!k3

Arachnopeon
Personly being from an area full of brown recluse spiders, and all run off's of the species, my vote would be to move them far, far, far away from you. I've grown up over the years seeing many people get bit by them, a few who had to wait more than a few hours before they made it to hospital. Let me assure you, two hours into the bite is enough for you to instantly respect and hate this spider. Search some pictures of bites 8-10 hours in, and enjoy the huge open wound caused by the necrotoxin of the spiders bite. These spiders are evil :evil: . But i am a tad bias, i was bit 4 hours from civilivation on my friends ranch and i still cant feel two fingers. Good luck with whatever you decided though :)